Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help/advice needed!

Options
  • 07-09-2016 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I changed to clip-in pedals for the first time a couple of weeks ago and got my first pair of cycling shoes. Everything seemed to be going fine.

However, yesterday, whilst out on a spin, my right pedal came off still attached to my shoe! I should say that I attached the pedals myself but it all seemed fine and worked fine the first few rides.

It seems that the thread has been worn in the crank - see picture.

My question is - do I now have to change the whole crankset because of this? It seems that the affected part cannot be detached from the rest of the crankset. I'm looking for the most cost effective fix possible as budget is an issue at the moment.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭531

Looks like you have cross-threaded and damaged the crank threads. You may be able to have the crank rethreaded and your LBS should be able to do this.

Next time, obviously try to avoid cross-threading (do not force the pedal on if it appears over stiff) and apply a little grease to ensure easier future removal of pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Thanks 531,

Went to LBS - he reckons thread is too worn to recover but he has a second hand transplant for a fair price.

Should be sorted today!

Advertisement