Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noob needs good first bike and doesn't care what it looks like

• 07-09-2016 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm 28 and gonna get my provisional A licence soon and I'm looking to buy my first bike.

I would like to buy a used bike that is popular enough in Ireland so that it will hold it's value and stay relevant on the used marked. So i can re-sell it easily if I should want to.

My budget would be around 1500 euro. What is a good budget for a first bike though?
    Like what is a good cheap price-still no junk-ratio?

I'm not into sport bikes, I was thinking more a yamaha ybr sitting position.

also i can't fix anything (zero practical skills) so it needs to be very very reliable.

I don't care what the bike looks like. really i don't.

It will be used for commuting and short, maybe longer trips

I was thinking around 250cc-500cc. i don't need anything fast.

if it is economical thats good.

basicly i'm like your granddad getting a bike and he does not give a s about anything except getting from A to B in the easiest manner possible.

If you have some suggestions for a good used firs bikes on the irish marked post a reply. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Honda are good for reliability. It sounds like you're not pushed about having an A category bike. I know they get a pasting on here, but honda deauvilles seem to hold their value and never really break or require maintenance. I had one for nearly a year and sold it back to the dealer I got it from for 100 quid less than I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭guitarmagic

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Honda are good for reliability. It sounds like you're not pushed about having an A category bike. I know they get a pasting on here, but honda deauvilles seem to hold their value and never really break or require maintenance. I had one for nearly a year and sold it back to the dealer I got it from for 100 quid less than I bought it.

yes, right, i'm not pushed about having a BIG monster (A cat. bike) :)

I've been riding a 50cc 4-gear moped for some years so i'm gonna take it slowly :)

Hondas in general ? or honda deauvilles? can you suggest some more specific models?

Thx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

If it was me, I would buy a suzuki bandit 600 - it will go on forever, the finish may suffer in the winter, you will get a reasonable one for your money - maybe even a factory restricted one. Old school oil/air cooled under stressed motor, simple to service and maintain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Bandit 600, yamaha FZ6 or CB500 all ideal. Also an SV650 is a nice starter bike..... I would personally recommend the FZ6 great bike looks good and very learner friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

My advice for what its worth is make sure you do the Cat A training and test. You will kick yourself later if you do decide you want a bigger bike when you look at how much more its going to cost you to go up to a cat A license.

Even if you decide on buying a smaller bike (less than 600cc) you can hire a bike from your instructor on the day of your test.

With regards to buying a bike, it really depend on how much you are willing to spend. Personally I would avoid any cheap small bike, its almost certain its been rev'd to the limit constantly.
    Honda deauvilles, CB's or CD's go forever. Agree with the recommendation for the FZ and the Suzuki bandits or GSX's should also be considered.

Just becuase a bike might be faster, it doesnt mean you must try to ride it at its maximum speed. Personally I would feel a lot safer on a 500cc or 600cc bike than something smaller. Being able to accelerate out of trouble really does matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you are truly mechanically stunted then a Deau would be a good choice, shaft drive means no chain cleaning, adjusting, lubricating, or replacing.
    no other bike had the same combination of practicality and ease of ownership as the much maligned Deauville.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    If you are truly mechanically stunted then a Deau would be a good choice, shaft drive means no chain cleaning, adjusting, lubricating, or replacing.
    no other bike had the same combination of practicality and ease of ownership as the much maligned Deauville.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I am indeed completely impractical. I read about the bike and I think i'm gonna go for the Deauville. Any difference between the NT650V and NT700V? What year models would be better builds, if there are any such distinctions?

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I am indeed completely impractical. I read about the bike and I think i'm gonna go for the Deauville. Any difference between the NT650V and NT700V? What year models would be better builds, if there are any such distinctions?

NT700v is fuel injected, slightly nicer trim, bigger panniers slightly, slightly more powerful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

I don't think you will get a Deauville 700 for €1.5k. I'd say you will be looking easily at €3.5k. The 600 would fit in your budget though.
    Just be aware (as mentioned above) that you might not be able to take the test on it due to the power/weight ratio (you can clarify this with the RSA).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

where in the country are you?

this would make a great little city bike and what I would ride if I lived in Dublin, Cork, or Galway

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/125cc/msx125-2016/overview.html

• Advertisement

Check the Revere out as well, basically a naked Deauville with no panniers.
    Not quite as comfy with no screen though.

MSVforever wrote: »
    I don't think you will get a Deauville 700 for €1.5k. I'd say you will be looking easily at €3.5k. The 600 would fit in your budget though.
    Just be aware (as mentioned above) that you might not be able to take the test on it due to the power/weight ratio (you can clarify this with the RSA).

I can just rent a bike for the test I guess

where in the country are you?

this would make a great little city bike and what I would ride if I lived in Dublin, Cork, or Galway

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/125cc/msx125-2016/overview.html

I'm in Dublin city. But I would like to both be able to commute around Dublin and go on trips around the country. And this bike is brand new isn't it? I was thinking of buying a used bike that wouldn't lose it's value that much

Is there a limitation to how big a bike I can ride on a provisional cat. A licence...?

Is there a limitation to how big a bike I can ride on a provisional cat. A licence...?

Assuming you've done the Cat A IBT, no restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭schaffer1969

Just your insurance budget limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

I've had Bandit 600 as first bike for last 4 years and have changed to Deauville 650 recently.

I will say Bandit was a lot of fun, easy to maintain and trouble free. Also small enough for filtering around town.

Deauville is slightly bigger, but has great storage and with touring screen a lot more protection from weather.

One thing though, Deauville is a bit more jittery at the low revs and require a lot more handeling in city traffic.

But it's great for commute and much more economical.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Check the Revere out as well, basically a naked Deauville with no panniers.

It's not the '90s anymore! :pac:

(When did they drop the name? ~1992? I think when the engine went up from 600 to 650 and was just called the NTV650. Also got cheapened with tubular handlebars, fuses moved from the top yoke and standard centre stand binned to become an extra-cost option at about £80. Anyway haven't they all been despatched to death?)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

If you don't care about looks like, then get a scooter.

You could buy a piece of Irish Military History.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/1998-honda-deauville-650/13299226
    Thats a 2 Cav Deauville If I am not mistaken and a decent price as well.

• Advertisement

macplaxton wrote: »
    It's not the '90s anymore! :pac:

(When did they drop the name? ~1992? I think when the engine went up from 600 to 650 and was just called the NTV650. Also got cheapened with tubular handlebars, fuses moved from the top yoke and standard centre stand binned to become an extra-cost option at about £80. Anyway haven't they all been despatched to death?)
    Honda motorcycles from this era are some of the best finished bikes you'll ever see.
    Paint is thick, fasteners are all plated well. and the engines in these V-twins last for a very long time.
    I know of some with over 150k miles on them!
    Little known fact, if you compare the frame dmensions on these bikes they ar very similar to the Honda NSR250 of the same era. They handle well in Naked form and even as a practical commuter with the extra weight they still handle well.
    There are still decent Bikes that haven't been dispatched around if you look.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

Just to say - I found it a lot easier to do the test on a bike I was used to and riding regularly than one that i rented for the test ( I did it twice)

mufflets2 wrote: »
    Just to say - I found it a lot easier to do the test on a bike I was used to and riding regularly than one that i rented for the test ( I did it twice)

yes, i figured. But I looked at the list ( http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Driving-Test-Vehicles---Motorcycles/ ) and since I don't know anything about fixing stuff, and don't have any friends that do, I'm really looking for a "low-maintenance" shaft-drive like the deauville. Are there any alternatives that are also hold their re-sale value and are current on the irish marked?

I see Suzuki Bandit 600 is on the list and would seem to tick all your boxes. it would allow you to do the test on your own bike which i believe would save you money on renting test bikes and extra lessons (to gain the needed confidence on a strange bike)

I found that for the test, there is a big difference between being able to drive a rented bike and being comfortable and confident enough on it to do all the things you need to do for the test.
    Its much easier to test on your own bike if at all possible.

All the jap bikes are fairly reliable now

I see Suzuki Bandit 600 is on the list and would seem to tick all your boxes. it would allow you to do the test on your own bike which i believe would save you money on renting test bikes and extra lessons (to gain the needed confidence on a strange bike)

I found that for the test, there is a big difference between being able to drive a rented bike and being comfortable and confident enough on it to do all the things you need to do for the test.
    Its much easier to test on your own bike if at all possible.

All the jap bikes are fairly reliable now

You're right! Its on the list! I didn't see it earlier. Thanks, maybe ill go for a bandit 600 cause I do live in Dublin and the deauville might be less ideal in city traffic? Any specific bandit 600 model year that are better or worse?

I found the fazer 600 to be a far superior bike to the bandit. More power and much lighter.

Yep id go fazer, or bandit or honda hornet 600, all great reliable bikes and very good through traffic. and for spins at weekends
    Look for condition over year

and learning even the very basics about bike mechanics is well worth the effort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Yep id go fazer, or bandit or honda hornet 600, all great reliable bikes and very good through traffic. and for spins at weekends
    Look for condition over year

and learning even the very basics about bike mechanics is well worth the effort

Totally agree. I found the Honda Hornet the most fun bike tbh but it seems to be a pita to get it insured. Fazer was my second choice but I didn't go for it as the Bandit was more comfortable for me (I also like the more upright seating position). Deauville felt too bulky for me but I 'd say it would make a great touring bike.
    I have the Bandit 600 from 2002 and would advise to get one from 2000 (model upgrade) upwards:

"
    The first major changes were made this year.
    • New rear bodywork.
    • Fully electronic instrumentation.
    • New carburettors with throttle position sensor.
    • Additional fuel filter.
    • Nissin brake callipers.
    • 20 litres (4.4 imp gal; 5.3 US gal) fuel tank (up from 19).
    • Improvements to frame and steering geometry.
    • Seat height lowered.
    • S model: New modern styled half fairing, with twin headlights. (wikipedia)"
    The Bandit is a great starter bike but can be a bit moody on a cold/wet morning which means that you have to leave the choke on for a few minutes until she is warm enough:D

Bandit is a terrible bike. Horribly overweight and down on power compared to the hornet and fazer. ****e build quality too and every
    c nt has one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Gonna throw in the Honda CB400 Super Four. I've had mine over a year and still love it. Has been perfect as a first bike and if I sell it tomorrow I probably won't lose a cent.

Advertisement