Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian native living in Ireland - ask me anything!

Options
  • 07-09-2016 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi, I'm a 28 year old Norwegian native living in Ireland. Ask me anything.... If you are curious about whether we really ski alot or whatever..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Do you ski a lot or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭guitarmagic

haha. well... we don't really... :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Are Swedish, Finnish, Danish similar too Norwegian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Is it true you have to use boats instead of cars, buses, taxis and bikes to get around the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Costs are offputting for most visitors to Norway. How do the average Norwegian people cope with the cost. Do you have suggestions on how to keep a lid on costs if one was to visit Norway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Loved our recent Scandinavian tour.
    Oslo is fab. Aker brygge area is very posh.
    We got brown cheese from there, see the attached photo ✌

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭masterboy123

We got brown cheese from there, see the attached photo

Btw, what's your profession in Ireland?

9u20qa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Do you enjoy Bjorge Lillelien's classic commentary from 1981?

He named every famous English person he could remember.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thank you for one quarter of Abba.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭thereitisgone

?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

?

I'm asking are there any similarities grammar wise between Norwegian and the other nordic languages?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Why Ireland?

swedish, danish, norwegian language = almost the same
    finnish = COMPLETELY different

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Is it true you have to use boats instead of cars, buses, taxis and bikes to get around the country?

we have alot of ferries to get across our many fjords and islands but we dont go around in boats in cities. theres not alot of canals around. you might see a boat or two on a lake, where people go fishing.

Costs are offputting for most visitors to Norway. How do the average Norwegian people cope with the cost. Do you have suggestions on how to keep a lid on costs if one was to visit Norway?

dumpster diving is good in norway. couchsurfing could work but its not widespread. go travelling in a camper van maybe. buy all food and alcohol in the supermarked, and make it at home, as going out and eating and drinking would be very expensive. accomodation is difficult and expensive. hostels are rare, so are bed&breakfasts. so best would be bringing your own van/camper with a heating solution for the winter. theres plenty of space so theres always a place to park it for the night, atleast if you are travelling rural

vicwatson wrote: »
    Why Ireland?

why ireland... well, I'm a musician and big into the kind of singer/songwriter genre, especially older folkish stuff like James Taylor etc. this type of music, and it's scene is not as prominent in norway as in ireland atm, i would say. I've only been living in ireland for 2,5 months but already found alot of musicians to jam with, i think i actually have found more like minded musicians in this short time than in my life so far in norway. I seem to find ireland thriving with culture, which i like. also nice with substantially longer days in the winter and not having to deal with -20C or -30C. Also i find ireland a place where it's easy to get to know people, people are mostly quite friendly and nice, and i like the fact that ireland, and particularly dublin, is quite international, like it is home to many different cultures. i dont mind rain. the scenery is not too bad either. quite charming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

How familiar are you with the GAA? And if you are at all familiar with it, what your impression of it?

We got brown cheese from there, see the attached photo

Btw, what's your profession in Ireland?

9u20qa.jpg

Brunost (Brown cheese) is nice. That's a vaffel (whaffel). very traditional high calorie meal :P used on national holidays and wherever.

my profession.. I make part of my living singing and playing piano/guitar, playing covers, in piano bars, pubs and such and I am also an Intelectual disability nurse. I haven't started working as a nurse here though because they haven't approved my education from norway in ireland yet. It is taking some time. bureucracy thing, paperwork etc.

GerB40 wrote: »
    How familiar are you with the GAA? And if you are at all familiar with it, what your impression of it?

GAA? i had to google it. i was never a sports fan.. i think i might go to a basketball game or and ice hockey game if I had the chance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

Hei!

i am a big fan of Norway and was there two times so far.
    Do you mind me asking where in Ireland you are living?

i started learning the basics through friends and youtube and want to get into it properly now :)
    can you recommend any basic books/online pages etc to start off with the language?

and another question: is there many norwegians living in Ireland?

tusen takk!! :)

• Advertisement

celica00 wrote: »
    Hei!

i am a big fan of Norway and was there two times so far.
    Do you mind me asking where in Ireland you are living?

i started learning the basics through friends and youtube and want to get into it properly now :)
    can you recommend any basic books/online pages etc to start off with the language?

and another question: is there many norwegians living in Ireland?

tusen takk!! :)

Ingen årsak,

Jeg bor i Dublin

i have no idea how many norwegians live in ireland, but i would imagine not that many. I have been living in ireland 2,5 months and never met another norwegian. i overheard two norwegian guys passing me on the street once but that's it. also alot of people tell me i'm the first norwegian they've met. i dont believe its that normal for norwegians to emigrate. and if we are on holidays we usually go to spain for sun and warmth. i dont think ireland is a very high travelling destination for norwegians, on average.

books for learning norwergian.. wow, you are asking the wrong person.. I can teach you though. i was considering teaching some basic norwegian part-time. we can have classes on skype =)

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

haha cool i msg you there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

Hi

Where is the main place to advertise for someone who speaks Norwegian in Ireland. We have been looking for a long time to find someone to work in mulingar doing customer service but its impossible .

Allen

marlyman wrote: »
    Hi

Where is the main place to advertise for someone who speaks Norwegian in Ireland. We have been looking for a long time to find someone to work in mulingar doing customer service but its impossible .

Allen

In Norway:

Nav.no is the official recruitment / employment department. you can pop them an email.

Finn.no also has job ads.

these pages are all in Norwegian, so I suggest you go contact (kontakt) and find an email adress and start from there

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Which version is best?
    Original Monroe's Cheerio or Ravi's Tsjeriåu?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Are there any aspects of Irish society that disgusts/disappoints you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LongTimeAway

Why is tax so high in Norway when you have the oil fund?  What use is the oil fund to the average person?

Do the high taxes put people off working harder?  Do you feel you get value for money from them?

Advertisement