Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All purpose weed killer

Options
  • 07-09-2016 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

Hi, Is there such a thing as all purpose weed killer?

I have "dock" leave type weeds on my lawn. Lawn is an exaggeration mind. It's not even 4 ft squared.

There's a patio as well where weeds grow up between the slabs.

I know it would help if I knew more about the weeds. Maybe pictures would help.

Is there an all purpose weed killer that will kill both?

Comments

Roundup or gallop will kill everything so you can use that in the patio.

For the dicks in the lawn use docstarpro which you will get in a coop. I'm not sure if you have to be licences to get that.

I some times use Mortone on lawns that I want to kill weeds when I don't want to use a weed and feed. These would be lawns I only cut every two weeks and I don't want them growing like mad

If you only have a small area of lawn I would pull them out by the root and regular mowing will keep a lot of weeds at bay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Roundup or gallop will kill everything so you can use that in the patio.

For the dicks in the lawn use docstarpro which you will get in a coop. I'm not sure if you have to be licences to get that.

I some times use Mortone on lawns that I want to kill weeds when I don't want to use a weed and feed. These would be lawns I only cut every two weeks and I don't want them growing like mad

If you only have a small area of lawn I would pull them out by the root and regular mowing will keep a lot of weeds at bay

Nice 1, I'll look into this

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Don't spray the Roundup on the lawn or it will kill grass and everything. If the leaves of the weed are big enough, brush it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If anyone is going to the vinegar/salt weed killer option, I managed to find 70% acetic acid in Polonez. I hear you need at least 20% potency to get at the roots but found it impossible to get anything but 5% vinegar except at the Eastern European shops. Just hope that it does the job. New puppy means that Roundup etc is not recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SixSixSix

Marcusm wrote: »
    If anyone is going to the vinegar/salt weed killer option, I managed to find 70% acetic acid in Polonez. I hear you need at least 20% potency to get at the roots but found it impossible to get anything but 5% vinegar except at the Eastern European shops. Just hope that it does the job. New puppy means that Roundup etc is not recommended.

Not a Monsanto supporter by any means but I'd keep the puppy away from 20% Acetic Acid just as much as I'd keep them away from glyphosate.
    If spot treating lawn weeds they could be covered, spot covered with plastic bag, till dry - they don't need to be immersed in weedkiller - whatever the type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

SixSixSix wrote: »
    Not a Monsanto supporter by any means but I'd keep the puppy away from 20% Acetic Acid just as much as I'd keep them away from glyphosate.
    If spot treating lawn weeds they could be covered, spot covered with plastic bag, till dry - they don't need to be immersed in weedkiller - whatever the type.

It's the gaps in paving stones on the patio so I'll try and make sure she's kept away from it. Especially as she seems to like eating the weeds. Once they're removed and the area treated with some vinegar and salt, I hope they won't reappear at least for a while. I guess I can't rely on any self preservation instinct to get her to stay away from stinky acetic acid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Hi, Is there such a thing as all purpose weed killer?
    Nope!
    You cant use a path weedkiller on grass
    Grass weedkiller wont kill all deep-seated weeds etc

Advertisement