Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rangefinder at night?

• 07-09-2016 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭

hi all,can one use a rangefinder at night lamping foxes? would it work? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

sniperman wrote: »
    hi all,can one use a rangefinder at night lamping foxes? would it work? thanks

Yeah It will work fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It should. The device will work regardless of level of light (day or night).

The problem you would have is the type of rangefinder.

My Leica uses an illuminated square as the ranging reticle/marker. So i place this on what i want to range and it gives me the distance. My mates rangefinder has an actual marking on the lens like a scope reticle. At dusk and dawn this becomes very hard to see and at night (foxes) he cannot see the reticle at all so cannot hold it on what he wants to range.

The Leica is not without fault either. The square that illuminates is fairly bright at night and like the illuminated reticle on my scope can blind you to the target.

It's for this reason, and safety, that i don't use a rangefinder at night and have spent a lot of time going out during the day and ranging the distances of certain permissions and then remembering them for night shooting.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭sniperman

thanks lads,good idea there cass about ranging in day time,never thought of that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I dropped a fox a few nights ago and if you asked me on the spot how far it was i'd have said 150+ yards. However knowing the spot where he was and where i was shooting from it was more like 90 yards or so.

Its why it's so important to know, even roughly, the distances you are shooting.

I'm lucky enough that most of my permissions are under 200 yards. By that i mean the fields are usually 200 yards or less from border to border/hedge to hedge. Most would actually be in the 150 yard mark. However i have one or two spots that are further. These are actually easier to remember because they are outside the "norm", and the rest are simply point and shoot as all are within my PBR.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement