Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Powerpoint

Options
  • 07-09-2016 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I need to do a powerpoint presentation for work tomorrow, basically I need to send the slides in this evening to be ready for the morning.

I have just found out that I don't have powerpoint on my computer, if i was to download libreoffice and draw up my slides through there and send them onto my boss at work, will the boss receive them in powerpoint format?

Obviously that is whats used at work, will my slides be compatible with works system?

How should I save my slides in Libreoffice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

price690 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I need to do a powerpoint presentation for work tomorrow, basically I need to send the slides in this evening to be ready for the morning.

I have just found out that I don't have powerpoint on my computer, if i was to download libreoffice and draw up my slides through there and send them onto my boss at work, will the boss receive them in powerpoint format?

Obviously that is whats used at work, will my slides be compatible with works system?

How should I save my slides in Libreoffice?

You need to save the Libre Impress file as PowerPoint. It gives you the option in the save dialog box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

If you have a google drive account you can also do it through that.

In Google Drive click on new - Google Slides. And when you're done, click File - Download as - Microsoft Powerponit (.pptx).

But as mordeith said too you can Save the Impress (LibreOffice's version of Powerpoint) file as .pptx too. Six of one...

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Use Google slides or create a one drive account to to get a modified version of powerpoint. You won't get all, the bells and whistles you get with the desktop version, but it will get the job done.

You can also get Microsoft Office 365 for €7 p/m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

When I choose to save my Libre Office Impress slides it gives me lots of "save as" options:

One previous poster said I save as Microsoft Power point but there are lots of options namely:

Microsoft PowerPoint 2007-2013 XML (.pptx) (*.pptx)
    Microsoft PowerPoint 2007-2013 XML Autoplay (.ppsx) (.*ppsx)
    Microsoft PowerPoint 2007-2013 XML Template (.potm) (*.potm)

When I have finished my slides what should I save it as? I will be sending by email and the recipient will wish to open them in Powerpoint format so I can give my presentation tomorrow

Thanks everyone for your help

Microsoft PowerPoint 2007-2013 XML (.pptx) (*.pptx)

Save as that one!

The "autoplay" one (ppsx) opens it up automatically in the presentation view (instead of the editor). And the template is if you wanted to save the layout / design to use for further presentations (themes, fonts, colours, etc).

You're welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The simplest way is to save it as a PDF (Adobe Acrobat) file, then open it on your own computer in fullscreen mode to see if it looks ok but you won't get special effects like animation in which case there is a free Powerpoint Viewer available from Microsoft which allows a PPT presentation to be viewed on a computer which doesn't have PPT installed. If you want the slide show to look the same, I'd stick with the MS viewer..... You may need to embed the fonts when saving the original file so that you're not relying on the computer at work to already have those fonts installed.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

me_irl wrote: »
    Save as that one!

The "autoplay" one (ppsx) opens it up automatically in the presentation view (instead of the editor). And the template is if you wanted to save the layout / design to use for further presentations (themes, fonts, colours, etc).

You're welcome.

When I try to save as ppsx file it throws up the following warning to confirm the file format:

"This document may contain formatting or content that cannot be saved in the currently selected file format “Microsoft PowerPoint 2007-2013 XML”.

"use the default ODF file to be sure the document is saved correctly"

and then 2 tabs of which I have to click one:

1) Use Powerpoint 2007-13 XML Format, or;
    2) Use ODF Format

please advise

Really don't want to lose all my work, I need to send the file via email to my boss who will need to be able to view it and operate it on powerpoint

thanks a million once again in advance for everyones help

When I try to save as ppsx file it throws up the following warning to confirm the file format:

"This document may contain formatting or content that cannot be saved in the currently selected file format “Microsoft PowerPoint 2007-2013 XML”.

"use the default ODF file to be sure the document is saved correctly"

and then 2 tabs of which I have to click one:

1) Use Powerpoint 2007-13 XML Format, or;
    2) Use ODF Format

please advise

Really don't want to lose all my work, I need to send the file via email to my boss who will need to be able to view it and operate it on powerpoint

thanks a million once again in advance for everyones help

To be on the safe side, save as both. Save it as the default ODF format, but then open it and save as pptx again.

If you want to be sure (to be sure), you can go to https://www.office.com/ and upload the file and edit it online there too. That's also to make sure that there are no formatting issues from going from a third party office program to MS Office.

(https://office.live.com/start/PowerPoint.aspx?omkt=en-US)

Advertisement