If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OLED tvs SD picture quality

Options
  • 07-09-2016 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hi.
    Apologies if this has been asked somewhere else.
    Basically I am looking into buying a 55" tv before Christmas as a replacement for an existing 40" (we have quite a big sitting room now).

I don't have many HD channels so most tv watching would be Standard Definition (as well as streaming via Kodi so some HD in there I'm sure).

Just wondering what the picture quality of the OLED tvs is like for viewing standard def content?
    is it a waste to consider getting one if you don't have a HD tv package?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

gaillimh wrote: »
    Hi.
    Basically I am looking into buying a 55" tv before Christmas as a replacement for an existing 40" (we have quite a big sitting room now).

I don't have many HD channels so most tv watching would be Standard Definition (as well as streaming via Kodi so some HD in there I'm sure).

Just wondering what the picture quality of the OLED tvs is like for viewing standard def content?

Thanks in advance
    Hi gaillimh,

Standard definition channels tend to have the same resolution across the board on 4K TVs so they don't look as sharp as an HD channel. That's not to say they look bad, a 4K TV will attempt to clean up the image but you are really limited by your source. However, the OLEDs are far better than an LED for standard definition in terms of colour and depth of image.

We have a 55B6 on display and when we play SD through it the colours are much richer and less washed out than an LED so I would definitely say an OLED is a much better option for SD than other TVs. If you have smart features in the TV you will get the benefit of HD and 4K through catch up apps, netflix and Youtube as well.

I hope this information has been helpful!

Many thanks

David

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Hi.

Thanks in advance
    Hi gaillimh,

Standard definition channels tend to have the same resolution across the board on 4K TVs so they don't look as sharp as an HD channel. That's not to say they look bad, a 4K TV will attempt to clean up the image but you are really limited by your source. However, the OLEDs are far better than an LED for standard definition in terms of colour and depth of image.

We have a 55B6 on display and when we play SD through it the colours are much richer and less washed out than an LED so I would definitely say an OLED is a much better option for SD than other TVs. If you have smart features in the TV you will get the benefit of HD and 4K through catch up apps, netflix and Youtube as well.

Many thanks

David
    Very helpful david thank you :-)

Hi.

Thanks in advance
    Hi gaillimh,

Many thanks

David
    Very helpful david thank you :-)
    No problem, let me know if you need anything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

any chance the LG55B6  or  LR55E6    will be reduced in price soon ?  would there be a deal on black November ? 

robinwing wrote: »
    any chance the LG55B6  or  LR55E6    will be reduced in price soon ?  would there be a deal on black November ? 
    Hi robinwing,

We do have a couple of voucher code deals on those TVs, the LG 55B6 is currently £2249 and the 55E6 is down to £2949. Both of these TVs have the 6 year guarantee included. With regards to black Friday we won't know what will be in the sale until it happens so I can't advise you on whether or not to wait I'm afraid.

Many thanks

David

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Hi guys I'm in a similar situation to gaillimh ..
    I was looking at the hisense offer you had on a 55inch but was wondering do you have any on a similar budget with HDR

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Hi guys I'm in a similar situation to gaillimh ..
    I was looking at the hisense offer you had on a 55inch but was wondering do you have any on a similar budget with HDR
    Hey Cavan4sam.

The nearest to the Hisense 55M5500 with HDR would be the Samsung UE55KU6020 currently priced at £799.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202300-ue55ku6020.aspx

I could offer you one of these at a one off boardie deal of £730.00 inc delivery and our VIP 6 year guarantee.

The stock on the Hisense at the moment are like hens teeth with only a small amount of the 55M5500 currently available.

Any questions drop me a post.

Thanks kenny I'll have a look and see whats best for me

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

Thanks kenny I'll have a look and see whats best for me
    Cheers Cavan4sam

Hi again what kind of deal can u give me for the hisense H55M3300 ? I've kind of my mind made up on this set and wondering will it be worth my while waiting til black friday or cyber monday ? Also I'm assuming it has Saorview ?
    Cheers

• Advertisement

Hi again what kind of deal can u give me for the hisense H55M3300 ? I've kind of my mind made up on this set and wondering will it be worth my while waiting til black friday or cyber monday ? Also I'm assuming it has Saorview ?
    Cheers
    Hey Cavan4sam.

Unfortunately the best price on the 55M3300 would be the web pricing of £549.00 with £6.99 shipping.
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201999-55m3300.aspx

Also includes our VIP 6 year Guarantee.

The Hisense will pick up Saorview stations no problems.
    When it comes to our Black Friday or Cyber Monday we never find out the deals until the evening before launch.
    I would have no idea what will be included or not.

Ok thanks Kenny I'll sit tight til next week then so

Ok thanks Kenny I'll sit tight til next week then so
    No problem at all Cavan4sam.

Kenny any chance of a boardie cyber monday deal on the 55m3300 or 55m5500 seeing as ye forgot to include it in your Black Friday sale 

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Kenny any chance of a boardie cyber monday deal on the 55m3300 or 55m5500 seeing as ye forgot to include it in your Black Friday sale 
    I Like your style :p...

very little room for movement - I can go to £529 / €649 on the 55M3300 - absolutely nothing budging on the 55M5500 though I'm afraid and I suspect it will have a price hike fairly soon..

http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201999-55m3300.aspx

http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202261-55m5500.aspx

ATVB,

John Mc

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]( Please excuse us over the next few days if responses are a little slower than normal!)[/font]

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Sounds good .....is there much difference between the two sets ?

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

...very similar spec but the 50M5500 has slightly better motion processing tech...

Keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Will do ...will make a decision in the next day or two .....i see a lot here getting HDR update of the 3300 so that will probably swing the decision ...

Will do ...will make a decision in the next day or two .....i see a lot here getting HDR  update of the 3300 so that will probably swing the decision ...
    No worries Cavan4sam.

Drop us a post when your ready :)

Ready to order tomorrow is the 499 plus delivery the very best or any boardie special few quid off .......

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

Ready to order tomorrow is the 499  plus delivery  the very best or any boardie special few quid off .......
    cheers cavan4sam, to be honest the margins are very tight on the 55m3300 so £505.99 would be the best we could do I'm afraid 

Thanks
    Brian

cheers cavan4sam, to be honest the margins are very tight on the 55m3300 so £505.99 would be the best we could do I'm afraid

Ordered earlier off chris .
    Thanks a million lads for all the help

Originally posted by Richersounds.ie: Brian

Ordered earlier off chris .
    Thanks a million lads for all the help
    Cheers Cavan4Sam :)

Cheers Cavan4Sam

Received the set today ....

Class so far
    Thanks a million lads

Originally posted by Richersounds.ie: Kenny
    Cheers Cavan4Sam

Received the set today ....

Class so far
    Thanks a million lads
    Excellent news Cavan4sam.

Should any questions arise just drop us a post :D

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.