Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemates Boyfriend stays, & never offered to contribute towards bills

Options
  • 07-09-2016 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to get an opinion on this. My housemates partner stays over at least 5 nights per week. While i don't have an issue with her partner being in the house, bills are obviously coming in and are still expected to be split evenly between two people. No contributions have been offered. He showers every morning before work also, he essentially lives in the house but is seen by my housemate as a visitor.

I would have no issue whatsoever if it was only twice per week, but at least 5 nights is in my opinion too much.

I just wanted to get people's opinions on what the best way to approach the subject, I don't like confrontation generally, my housemate is a nice person but i feel this needs to be highlighted.

Thanks in advance

Comments

Next electricity bill that comes in, split it 3 ways, make a note on the bill itself & put it on the fridge.
    Can't see him objecting!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

Does he stay in her room mainly or use the common areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

I'd be looking for money towards rent, as well as bills!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

You need to sit them down for a chat. Either agree that he stays two nights a week tops or contributes to the rent and bills. If he agrees to contribute and they're currently mainly staying in her room and they start making more use of the house you could find yourself a third wheel in your own home if they're curled up together on the sofa watching tv. Also what does your lease say about how many tenants etc?

Firstly don't ask for money towards rent and bills as this is essentially making him a housemate and you are stuck with him.

You need to sit down with your housemate and tell her that visitors should be limited to two nights per week (not in a row to avoid him being around all weekend) and more often than that is unfair as you want to live with one other person not two. If they want to live together suggest they find their own place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Very familiar story. See this thread for some advice http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100565526

Advertisement