Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DPD Pickup - new service?

• 07-09-2016 12:13pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looks like DPD are about to start a new service in Ireland called DPD Pickup.

They already operate the service in the UK and across Europe.

It works by allowing you to opt to have deliveries delivered to a local convenience store from where you can then pick it up. You can also opt to have missed home deliveries redirected to the closest local DPD Pickup.

Finally it also seems to allow you to return and send items via the local store.

It looks like this service is about to launch in Ireland as my local shop suddenly has DPD Pickup signs all over it.

Great to see a new service launch. I hope it also works with ParcelWizard (for those Northern Ireland deliveries) and I also hope it allows you to to do returns to the UK via CollectPlus, RoyalMail, etc. like Parcel Motel does.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

This will be truly great. I can stop taking time off work to go pick up the undelivered parcels and stop pestering my next door neighbors or the security guy in work about my delivered parcels.

I wonder though how much this service will cost......

Have you a link or any more info?

Actually for this to work though you need to know if the supplier of your parcel will be using DPD in the first place? In that case it would be essential for it to work from day 1 with parcel wizard for the virtual address.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

slinky2000 wrote: »
    This will be truly great. I can stop taking time off work to go pick up the undelivered parcels and stop pestering my next door neighbors or the security guy in work about my delivered parcels.

I wonder though how much this service will cost......

Have you a link or any more info?

Only the link to how the service works in the UK:
    http://www.dpd.co.uk/content/products_services/dpd_pickup.jsp

As for cost, I'd assume no more expensive then their normal parcelwizard/dpd delivery costs.

BTW I also notice that they operate Parcel Lockers in France, similar to ParcelMotel.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Actually for this to work though you need to know if the supplier of your parcel will be using DPD in the first place? In that case it would be essential for it to work from day 1 with parcel wizard for the virtual address.

I see it working in three ways.

1) Specific retailers add DPD Pickup shops as an option on their website when you check out. This is very common with many retailers in the UK.

2) You order an item to your parcelwizard UK virtual address and if you had it selected in your options, it redirects the parcel to the closest pickup location.

3) If you are signed up to parcel wizard and have your options set to redirect to the pickup store and the retailer you buy from happens to send it via DPD (without you knowing), DPD could recognise your address/mobile details (yes even without PW ID) and redirect it per your parcel wizard options.

So, strictly speaking it doesn't need parcel wizard (just option 1 above), but it makes far more sense to support all three optnios and thus parcel wizard.

The issue there is when I order from Amazon etc that could send delivery by any number of couriers. I would want all of them to go via the DPD pickup. This is where a central address works.

• Advertisement

THe issue there is when I order from Amazon etc that could delivery by any number of couriers I would want all of them to go via the DPD pickup. this si where a central address works.

Agreed, which is where the €3.95 Parcel Wizard option comes in.

Though Amazon could implement DPD Pickup as an option during check out, I don't expect they will, but other retailers certainly will, specially as I assume it would be cheaper then home delivery for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

MOD: as it's another DPD parcel service will move thread to main DPD Parcel Wizard.Ok Moved back to own thread as not realted to DPD Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

MOD: I will close the thread as already talking about it on the Parcel Wizard thread on the sticky.

If anyone thinks we should also keep the UK Dpd Pickup thread open let me know and I will re-open it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement