Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which provider is best for holidaying abroad?

Options
  • 07-09-2016 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭

Put my mother on Tesco mobile a while back as I bought her a Voda SU6 phone and thought the 15 per month package was best for her.
    It is excellent and does everything she needs ( well alomost )
    She has been on foreign holiday twice since and when she rings home or texts it seems to swallow up credit. ( she used around 45 euro in a couple of days last time I think )
    and that was with very little contact.

I planned on getting her a different number / sim card to put in her phone for future holidays. She is going again on the 2nd October so need to sort something before then for her.
    I was thinking Lycomobile?
    Or would something else be better?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

vectra wrote: »
    Put my mother on Tesco mobile a while back as I bought her a Voda SU6 phone and thought the 15 per month package was best for her.
    It is excellent and does everything she needs ( well alomost )
    She has been on foreign holiday twice since and when she rings home or texts it seems to swallow up credit. ( she used around 45 euro in a couple of days last time I think )
    and that was with very little contact.

I planned on getting her a different number / sim card to put in her phone for future holidays. She is going again on the 2nd October so need to sort something before then for her.
    I was thinking Lycomobile?
    Or would something else be better?

Thanks

You sure it's not data using her credit?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

FrostyJim wrote: »
    You sure it's not data using her credit?

I have no idea what she did to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Tesco have atrociously expensive roaming rates, which is probably what happened. Customers have also reported being cut off while abroad too for no reason.

Any of the other networks would have better options, just be sure to check the Ts & Cs before purchasing. If its only for limited use abroad Lyca might be the best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Used Lycamobile while abroad (Portugal) and found them very good.

Yeah,
    I think I might just get her a new sim card from Lyca and use it for hols.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

One thing.
    If I were to order a card from their site,
    Which option should I choose? I think she is heading off to Spain in two week or so.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭jonny_b

If she is technology sound minded you could pick up a three U.K. Payg Sim. Top it up by 20 and buy the 10gb data roaming add on from that credit. Ring and txt home via Viber or WhatsApp?

Advertisement