Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet café Phibsboro

Options
  • 07-09-2016 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

Is there anybody out there who could provide a decent internet café in Phibsboro?, the one that's there at the moment is terrible. It's dirty, the equipment is lousy and the staff aren't the most pleasant fellas in trousers. There's a few vacant buildings around and as far as I can see from the one that's there already there is a market, I don't have the funds myself to start a business but it's well worth looking into imo. I think people would choose a clean joint with decent equipment over the dive that's there at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

TBH I believe there is no superior similar establishment any where else, say Cabra. Or Glasnevin. I suppose you could see whether or not there is a better internet café on Dorset Street, just maybe. It's simply not that lucrative a venture any more - trust me - I worked briefly in an internet cafe "somewhere on the southside". The kind of customer that patronized us don't want to spent that much mula. When one such customer printed off a flight boarding pass in colour instead of black and white, they blamed the website for allowing them to do that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Seanachai

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    TBH I believe there is no superior similar establishment any where else, say Cabra. Or Glasnevin. I suppose you could see whether or not there is a better internet café on Dorset Street, just maybe. It's simply not that lucrative a venture any more - trust me - I worked briefly in an internet cafe "somewhere on the southside". The kind of customer that patronized us don't want to spent that much mula. When one such customer printed off a flight boarding pass in colour instead of black and white, they blamed the website for allowing them to do that. :)

I've stopped going to the one in Phibsboro recently but it was almost always full, students, tourists, local people, people using Western Union etc. Any potential business could sell coffee & snacks and maybe offer printing services also, sell vape products maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

OK. I'll expand for you lil' bit.

Working alone at the counter:

About 1 in 10 computer users needed to have "their hand held" on a task at a computer. A simple task often took 10 minutes.

Parents with young children in the 0 - 6 category. A world of it's own. It can be very upsetting to see mom / pop stuck into this screen. Especially for more than 3 minutes: About 1 in every 6 users.

If you want quality coffee go to Starbucks/Costa/The Corner Coffee Shop.

For e - cigs go to Phibsboro shopping centre. Inside in Tesco.

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    OK. I'll expand for you lil' bit.

Working alone at the counter:

About 1 in 10 computer users needed to have "their hand held" on a task at a computer. A simple task often took 10 minutes.

Parents with young children in the 0 - 6 category. A world of it's own. It can be very upsetting to see mom / pop stuck into this screen. Especially for more than 3 minutes: About 1 in every 6 users.

If you want quality coffee go to Starbucks/Costa/The Corner Coffee Shop.

For e - cigs go to Phibsboro shopping centre. Inside in Tesco.

I was just highlighting a gap in the market for the local area, the internet café that's there now is s**te and I could imagine people voting with their feet and wallets by switching to a decent one, that's all. I work in customer service so I know all about how bizarre and demanding people can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Do people still go to internet cafes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,847 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seanachai wrote: »
    I've stopped going to the one in Phibsboro recently but it was almost always full, students, tourists, local people, people using Western Union etc. Any potential business could sell coffee & snacks and maybe offer printing services also, sell vape products maybe?

All tiny margins bar the coffee (and that's only if you can make a decent volume to reduce waste).

There's a reason internet cafes are dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Same reason why no xtravisions or tan salons round.

Today I was in a number of places round town...for a coffee I get free WiFi. Don't even have to get the coffee. Can ping off hotspot. Dying market op

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Do people still go to internet cafes?

Surprisingly yes, it ranges from tourists needing to print, students, young guys gaming online in groups, people on the move who need to so some research. I do it to burn some time now and again, some offer baggage storage also.

amtc wrote: »
    Same reason why no xtravisions or tan salons round.

Today I was in a number of places round town...for a coffee I get free WiFi. Don't even have to get the coffee. Can ping off hotspot. Dying market op

I don't like squinting at smartphones and I don't carry a laptop around with me so I still use them when I'm on the move. If you go into one you'd be surprised how busy they can be.

L1011 wrote: »
    All tiny margins bar the coffee (and that's only if you can make a decent volume to reduce waste).

There's a reason internet cafes are dying.

They must be cooking up meth out the back then or doing massages with happy endings ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

There's a newish one down at corner Dominick street and Dorset St....not great either though and looks grotty....

Advertisement