Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peugeot 1.6 hdi engine leaks

• 07-09-2016 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭

Went to see a 2010 Peugeot 3008 and the engine seems to have a possible oil leak by the filler cap and a soot build put by what I presume is the turbo. I've added a photo below. Nct is out so dealer said they would pass it before handing car over. Drove perfectly and no weird noises. 89k miles on clock.

Anyone have advice on these two areas of the engine? I know the dealer warranty isn't worth much but I'm thinking if I tell him to fix these before I get the car that if either comes back soon after I could say they didn't correctly fix it and pressure them more.

396396.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Put your cash in your pocket and run as fast as you can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

From googling the soot is fairly common and can be anything from a loose clamp to partially blocked dpf.

Some sites seem to suggest a small amount is expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

Did you lift the hdi-16 cover and look at the injectors?There can be a sludgy build up indicating failing seals( I've had them done twice)

Why would he do any of those? I'm sure if OP viewed any other Peugeot 3008 for sale he would get one without these problems. If you've viewed a car and there are unknown problems, run as far away as you can! All the dealer would do is clean up the soot without fixing the issues and sell it to you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

That is usually just a leak between the turbo and DPF. Advising someone to walk away from a car over a €10 exhaust clamp is pretty ridiculous IMO. The OP could take that advice and end up buying a car with much more serious and less obvious issues than a minor exhaust leak!

• Advertisement

That is usually just a leak between the turbo and DPF. Advising someone to walk away from a car over a €10 exhaust clamp is pretty ridiculous IMO. The OP could take that advice and end up buying a car with much more serious and less obvious issues than a minor exhaust leak!

Would you honestly buy a car from a dealer that has evident issues like this that any old buyer can pick up and they haven't bothered to sort before advertising? (Yes I know you're a dealer yourself but pretend that you aren't).

There's plenty of cars to choose from and these engines aren't exactly known for their reliability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

shietpilot wrote: »
    Would you honestly buy a car from a dealer that has evident issues like this that any old buyer can pick up and they haven't bothered to sort before advertising? (Yes I know you're a dealer yourself but pretend that you aren't).

There's plenty of cars to choose from and these engines aren't exactly known for their reliability.

I don't pretend to be anything, not sure where that is coming from tbh. Most regular posters know what I do for a living and my username is not exactly designed to throw people off the scent should they try to find out. I'm not on here for any personal motive, I just try to help fellow forum users out.

But I will point out that I have personally worked on hundreds of cars with these engines and I've seen the good and bad points of them, which is more than most users can say. To take your own case, I'm pretty sure you are posting based on a sample size of the grand total of one plus Google.

You are correct in saying there are plenty of DV6 engined cars to choose from and the simple fact is that there are more bad ones than good ones. Does the fact that the turbo to DPF clamp is leaking make it a bad example? Of course it doesn't. Just the same as if it the clamp wasn't leaking doesn't mean it's a good example.

I've replaced a DPF clamp on plenty of good DV6 engines. Equally I've seen lots of bad DV6 engines with serious internal issues with no leaks from the DPF clamp. As factors for judging how good or bad a car is, it's a pretty inconsequential issue. That's the point I'm trying to make.

I don't pretend to be anything, not sure where that is coming from tbh. Most regular posters know what I do for a living and my username is not exactly designed to throw people off the scent should they try to find out. I'm not on here for any personal motive, I just try to help fellow forum users out.

But I will point out that I have personally worked on hundreds of cars with these engines and I've seen the good and bad points of them, which is more than most users can say. To take your own case, I'm pretty sure you are posting based on a sample size of the grand total of one plus Google.

You are correct in saying there are plenty of DV6 engined cars to choose from and the simple fact is that there are more bad ones than good ones. Does the fact that the turbo to DPF clamp is leaking make it a bad example? Of course it doesn't. Just the same as if it the clamp wasn't leaking doesn't mean it's a good example.

I've replaced a DPF clamp on plenty of good DV6 engines. Equally I've seen lots of bad DV6 engines with serious internal issues with no leaks from the DPF clamp. As factors for judging how good or bad a car is, it's a pretty inconsequential issue. That's the point I'm trying to make.

George, I wouldn't for one second have doubts about your mechanical abilities and if you say it's a harmless €10 fix, then I will believe it. In no way did I try to take a stab at your reputation here or anything like that, my point was to put yourself in buyers shoes and look at it from their perspective.

The dealer obviously sourced this car somewhere (trade in, auction, UK import, whatever the case may be), looked at the engine bay, saw that and ignored it. This is a simple €10 fix as you say that would have avoided OP posting online and doubting himself (or herself) if they should purchase the car.

Personally I wouldn't buy from a dealer who didn't put in the effort to fix a simple issue. Imagine you would like to come back to the dealer later with bigger problems that could cost hundreds of euros...

I take your point that OP could go and find cars without this issue that have bigger hidden problems but I think it's just bad on the dealer's part to ignore it and not advertise a car that is at least presentable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Cheers lads, decided not to go for it. I couldn't run the risk of something going wrong as I wouldn't have the cash to sort it and I wouldn't trust the garage.

It did have a long list of smaller parts to be fixed which the dealer said they would do but on the engine just didn't want possible hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It could be something or it could be nothing.

If you're not comfortable with buying it as it is then you should keep looking. No point in buying something that you will worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

You are correct in saying there are plenty of DV6 engined cars to choose from and the simple fact is that there are more bad ones than good ones.
    Would you say that?

Through poor maintenance?

Advertisement