Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organisational Restructure

Options
  • 07-09-2016 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

I need some advice, as I’m under a bit of pressure here. I work for a large multi-national tech company in a digital program team. I spent nine months in my previous role, in an interim and then a permanent role. I went through eight, one hour interviews in total for the role. I enjoyed the previous role immensely. Due to an organizational restructure I was moved to another team, which is extremely technical and outside my area of expertise. After trying the work for a month, I didn’t enjoy what I was doing and no training/upskilling/SOP’s were available to assist in the transition. I made the mistake of mentioning this to my former manager, who informed my new manager and now four months in, I am under pressure to find another role and he doesn’t want to over invest in me. The trouble is the lack of roles due to the re-org. I’m faced with three options.

1.) Remain within the team, and bide my time for another 12 months (Not very fair on the manager or myself).
    2.) Move to another company (I’ll lose my share-options in that case)
    3.) Miraculously find another role within the company in a short time-frame.

I have explained to my current manager the lack of other roles at present and though he understands, it’s clear I need to move now or remain for 12 months at least. The work is heavy coding based with a requirement of a Masters in Computer Engineer, I don’t have these skills. The paranoid part of me, thinks this is an attempt to manage some staff out, as others are in a similar situation here.

I need some sensible advice, as I can’t really think straight at present.

Any replies I appreciate. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

What is you area of Expertise?

Are there parts of the role that you could take from all the other team members and perform that function for the whole team, becoming the SME in that function and enhancing the performance of the team. Example: Code Reviews, Testing, Project Management, Supervision,etc.

If there is not a role outside the team, look at the contribution that you can make within the team and craft a role from what you are good at.

Advertisement