Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PME (Post-Graduate Masters in Education) Post-Primary - Making the switch from accoun

Options
  • 07-09-2016 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi everyone,

As a background, I am a qualified accountant, working in industry in a good job. I worked in a Big 4 firm and another practice but did not enjoy either. I have passed my professional exams and also have done a Masters in Accounting. However, I have always wanted to go into teaching and am considering pursuing it. I enjoy my work but also get bored and as I am only 26, I keep thinking about the future and cannot see myself sitting at a desk for the rest of my life.

I am interested in teaching post-primary level in accounting, business and I am also qualified to teach economics. Some people are encouraging me to go for it as I have always wanted to do it and feel I will regret it forever if I don't. The problem is returning to education and all that goes with it. Plus the added worry of finding a job once I am qualified. I know I will never earn the same money as I will being an accountant but what is money without job satisfaction? I feel I would be a great teacher but I suppose am afraid to make the leap.

I have been looking into courses and wondering if anyone has done either the Hibernia course or went to one of the colleges? And would you recommend one over the other? I have heard horror stories about Hibernia but also heard some good stories. I am willing to save for the year and take a loan if needed to pursue this. Has anyone an opinion on which course is best to do? Also is it possible to work part-time doing the Hibernia course i.e. is the workload very large?

Any opinions / thoughts would be greatly appreciated on this :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Moved from Postgraduates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

go for it your young and without any major ties if it dosent work out so be it, but you will never know if you dont try it. 11k is a nice bit of money but in the grand scheme of life its nothing. if you went travelling for a year you would spend more than that. so its well worth it, see it as an investment in your future. do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Dickie10 wrote: »
    go for it your young and without any major ties if it dosent work out so be it, but you will never know if you dont try it. 11k is a nice bit of money but in the grand scheme of life its nothing. if you went travelling for a year you would spend more than that. so its well worth it, see it as an investment in your future. do it.

It is a lot more than 11k, it is also foregoing 2 years of income.

If you are going to do it, do it in Maynooth. It has the best reputation.

If your problem is sitting at a desk you will have the same problem with teaching (except it will be standing at a desk). You may get bored after 5 years when you have gotten over the initial bumps.

I would seriously evaluate whether you just have itchy feet in your current position or whether you actually want to work with teenagers and help them flourish. There is a huge difference.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I made the switch at 26. Am very happy with my decision but I've been making about €20k a year for past 4 years (and thats on the old pay scale). Make sure you think about that. New starting salary is €30k I think and a lot (or most) people start on half hours. I do a lot of other things to compensate like translating and grinds. I do crazy hours just to make a decent salary. But still wouldn't go back to an office job! Was soul destroying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    It is a lot more than 11k, it is also foregoing 2 years of income.

If you are going to do it, do it in Maynooth. It has the best reputation.

If your problem is sitting at a desk you will have the same problem with teaching (except it will be standing at a desk). You may get bored after 5 years when you have gotten over the initial bumps.

I would seriously evaluate whether you just have itchy feet in your current position or whether you actually want to work with teenagers and help them flourish. There is a huge difference.

Who said that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Heard it through principals and despite the pervasive idea that it takes years to get a CID I know lots who get/got it 3 years after studying there.

I made the leap from accountancy to education in 2007 and have never regretted it. I've sent you a PM with some useful ideas and tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

Best of luck but job prospects are truly grim. Few opportunities for landing a job teaching accountancy since there is a very limited uptake in most schools.
    Very different job prospects to 2007.

Advertisement