Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fridge supplied with 2 pin plug and adaptor

Options
  • 07-09-2016 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭

As title family member bought a fridge from an Irish store and when delivered it came with an adaptor instead of a 3 pin plug.

Is this legal and most importantly is it safe. It's not like it's a shaver which is plugged in temperary this is a permanent fixture

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

its a suppliers way of getting around supplying items with the 2 pin plug

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's most likely a grey import i.e. the retailer has bypassed the authorised Irish distributor for that brand so what you've bought is a model intended for a mainland European country. I'd snip off the two-pin plug and replace it with a 3-pin with a 13-amp fuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

coylemj wrote: »
    I'd snip off the two-pin plug and replace it with a 3-pin with a 13-amp fuse.
    If it's a two pin, it most likely only has two wires (and no earth). Sure, if it has three wires your instructions may work, but your instructions will probably also void any warranty they have should electrical issues happen in the future.

the_syco wrote: »
    If it's a two pin, it most likely only has two wires (and no earth).

Ever heard of a two-pin plug with a side-earth? They were all the rage in Ireland in the 1960s, especially for kettles and toasters, I wired a few of them in my day, green, red and black.
    Sure, if it has three wires your instructions may work, but your instructions will probably also void any warranty they have should electrical issues happen in the future.

Unless it's done by an incompetent idiot, the fridge will have a better connection to the mains with a properly wired three-pin than with a two-pin and a (probably dirt cheap) adapter - which will probably eventually melt and go on fire.

As it's a grey import, I wouldn't count on getting anywhere with a warranty claim should one arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

coylemj wrote: »
    Ever heard of a two-pin plug with a side-earth? They were all the rage in Ireland in the 1960s, especially for kettles and toasters, I wired a few of them in my day, green, red and black.
    The "side earth" thing is still used in many countries that use the two pin plug. Sometimes used in Canada, although they mainly use a three pin plug for newer stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The "side earth" thing is still used in many countries that use the two pin plug. Sometimes used in Canada, although they mainly use a three pin plug for newer stuff.

...and Germany:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets#/media/File%3ASchuko_plug_and_socket.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

The two pin side earth plug is very common in Italy. They are a major manufacturer of domestic appliances.

and Spain, and Portugal, and Switzerland.......

The side earth plug is common all over Europe, any appliance with an earth purchased in mainland Europe will come with a two-pin plug with side earth connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Thanks to all for the replies.

Made the decision to go back to the retailer as they were not happy with the adaptor as a permanent fitting.

They said it's perfectly safe and it's the way this perticular fridge comes. Asked them why were we not informed at time of purchase. They couldn't answer that :)

Next asked could they swop it out with a 3 pin model. Reply to that was chop the plug of and replace it. Fair enough I said but will this not void the warranty? They said no absolutely not and even put a note on the sale receipt to that effect.

So alls happy now the plug will be changed and they can enjoy the product in complete confidence.

Thanks again to all

Sparks43 wrote: »
    They said it's perfectly safe and it's the way this perticular fridge comes. Asked them why were we not informed at time of purchase. They couldn't answer that :)

The sale of that appliance was illegal. Mains powered domestic appliances are required to be fitted with a three-pin plug in order that they be supplied ready to be plugged in without the requirement for the consumer to wire a plug which has obvious safety risks.

It was definitely a grey import.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Thanks to all for the replies.

Made the decision to go back to the retailer as they were not happy with the adaptor as a permanent fitting.

Next asked could they swop it out with a 3 pin model. Reply to that was chop the plug of and replace it. Fair enough I said but will this not void the warranty? They said no absolutely not and even put a note on the sale receipt to that effect.

So alls happy now the plug will be changed and they can enjoy the product in complete confidence.

Thanks again to all

You should not have accepted this.
    There is a reason that no appliances come with non-moulded plugs anymore.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Interesting. I didn't know that. Found this.
    The standard plugs in Ireland are 3 pin IS411 (BS 1363) type. You are entitled to expect that any electrical item that you buy in Ireland comes with a 3 pin plug. If it does not the item may be considered "not fit for its purpose" as per the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980. Never attempt to place a two pin plug in a three pin socket. The Electricity Supply Board has more information on Safety in the Home

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1987/si/173/made/en/print

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

MarkR wrote: »
    Interesting. I didn't know that. Found this.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1987/si/173/made/en/print

Where did you quote that from? it's not in the SI.

Portable appliances do not need to be earthed if they are rated class II

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Steve wrote: »
    Where did you quote that from? it's not in the SI.

Portable appliances do not need to be earthed if they are rated class II

Sorry, here's the other link.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/product_safety_and_labelling/safety_of_electrical_and_gas_products_and_furniture.html

Advertisement