Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problems accessing NAS Windows 10

• 07-09-2016 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have two NAS devices both Western Digital MyBookWorld and MyBookLive. I have had these mapped as drives in windows explorer but in the last couple of days these are inaccessible on my desktop but fine on my laptop. I unmounted them and when I try to remount them I get the dialogs, one for one device one for the other, in attached screenshots. I never had to enter credentials before and nothing has changed on my network.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

mossie wrote: »
    Hi,

I have two NAS devices both Western Digital MyBookWorld and MyBookLive. I have had these mapped as drives in windows explorer but in the last couple of days these are inaccessible on my desktop but fine on my laptop. I unmounted them and when I try to remount them I get the dialogs, one for one device one for the other, in attached screenshots. I never had to enter credentials before and nothing has changed on my network.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.
    Thanks.

I had this!

Now, let me think, it was a while back, in fact so long ago now that I'm not really remembering the solution at all.

I think I remember that Microsoft dropped support for an older, insecure authentication method, causing my issue. It was either a firmware update for my NAS that sorted it, or a registry fix to re-enable the older version.

Check for any updated firmware for your NAS first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭mossie

CatInABox wrote: »
    I had this!

Now, let me think, it was a while back, in fact so long ago now that I'm not really remembering the solution at all.

I think I remember that Microsoft dropped support for an older, insecure authentication method, causing my issue. It was either a firmware update for my NAS that sorted it, or a registry fix to re-enable the older version.

Check for any updated firmware for your NAS first?

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I'm on the latest firmware as I checked this. I think I had a similar issue but also not sure how I solved it. Strange it works OK on laptop but not desktop even though both are windows 10.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I'm on the latest firmware as I checked this. I think I had a similar issue but also not sure how I solved it. Strange it works OK on laptop but not desktop even though both are windows 10.

Set up a new user on the machine and retry?

Check what the credentials are in Credential Manager?

Unfortunately, with things like this it could be almost anything going wrong.

Set up a new user on the machine and retry?

Check what the credentials are in Credential Manager?

Unfortunately, with things like this it could be almost anything going wrong.

Thanks. I got around it by setting up a new user on each of the NAS drives and adding the credentials in credential manager. Working now but never needed to do this before.

Thanks. I got around it by setting up a new user on each of the NAS drives and adding the credentials in credential manager. Working now but never needed to do this before.

It's astounding the amount of things that can go wrong in Windows without any rhyme or reason. Glad you got it sorted, sorry I couldn't help more.

• Advertisement

It's astounding the amount of things that can go wrong in Windows without any rhyme or reason. Glad you got it sorted, sorry I couldn't help more.

You put me on the right track anyway thanks.

Advertisement