Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work colleagues over from the US, where to eat

Options
  • 07-09-2016 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭

I've x3 work colleagues over from the US next week.
    My boss, senior vice president and a fellow work colleague.

They're staying beside Temple Bar.
    I was hoping someone could suggest where I could suggest where we could go for a bit of food/drink Tues evening.
    I was maybe looking at Oliver St. John Gogarty bar/restaurant, The Quays Irish Restaurant....I think there's even a Thunder Road Cafe or Hard Rock Cafe but they might be a bit, well underwelming/sh1te.

Any suggestions?
    Looking for a place that promotes conversation and that they would come away from with good and lasting impressions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

FXB's.... either the temple bar one (which is my least favourite) or there's one at Christchurch, or my absolute favourite is on Parkgate St with a pint in Ryan's before or after (or both :D )

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Could try take them a little out of Temple Bar and go for food in Fade St. Social. It has a lot of Irish produce but with a modern twist. Nice out door bar too. Then you've a nice few pubs that don't have blaring music around the area- Hogan's, Grogan's and Long Hall for example. Le Guillitan (spelling?) Is also excellent and on the same street or La Maison around the corner on Castle St. is very good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Fellow American here, I'd definitely stay away from Temple Bar, ugh. I went to a really lovely restaurant recently called Etto, fabulous meal, great service, overall lovely experience. On Merrion Row, just near ODonoghues pub, where you could go for a drink and live traditional music after.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Just over Ha'penny Bridge there's The Winding Stair, or a little beyond that The Church never fails to impress visitors, though I can't speak for the food. Definitely get out of Temple Bar, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

humberklog wrote: »
    Could try take them a little out of Temple Bar and go for food in Fade St. Social. It has a lot of Irish produce but with a modern twist. Nice out door bar too. Then you've a nice few pubs that don't have blaring music around the area- Hogan's, Grogan's and Long Hall for example. Le Guillitan (spelling?) Is also excellent and on the same street or La Maison around the corner on Castle St. is very good also.

Fade Street was closed by food safety last month. Wouldn't be bringing any important guests there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Etto, Marcel's or Pearl Brasserie around Merrion Row so they can see a nicer side of the city than Temple Bar.

L'Geueleton or Drury Buildings if you want to try an edgier locale on Fade St.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Bunch of good suggestions above - getting away from Temple Bar and the American burger joints is a good idea. The Woolen Mills on the quays is also great and just across the river. I've brought many Americans to L. Mulligans Grocer in Stoneybatter with great success in the past, though it'd be a taxi ride away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

athtrasna wrote: »
    Fade Street was closed by food safety last month. Wouldn't be bringing any important guests there.

It was closed for a day due to a leaking pipe or something. A non issue.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

athtrasna wrote: »

Yeah it was but for less than 24 hours to rectify a plumbing issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

What is the budget? We brought visitors to Shanahans and they were very impressed.

The French restaurant beside fade street social is also pretty decent.

The market bar is good food, good value & good conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

If your willing to travel, Howth has a good few selections.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Lobster and Beef are currently on my to try list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Definitely stay out of Temple Bar.

I'd second Drury Buildings - either cocktails and tapas downstairs or the restaurant on the first floor.

Both Fish Shop locations in Smithfield are great. One does a tasting menu only, the other does fish & chips only. Great wine selections.

L. Mulligans Grocer in Stoneybatter is worth a trip.

Salt/Avoca in Monkstown, with a stroll on the waterfront.

Brother Hubbard on Capel St. do a fantastic middle eastern dinner.

Then theere's Etto on Baggot St, which has never let me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Marco Pierre's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Drinks in the long Hall, Nearys or keoghs then fade St or I'Ecrivain are really good. They would like the atmosphere in these places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Ps, you may need to book.
    Another good restraunt is the green hen

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CinammonGirl

The Green Hen on Exchequer St

Again if you fancy a spin on the Dart, was in the Fish Shack in Malahide last week and was v impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

I brought an english friend to The Church and she was very impressed.
    Eden on South William Street is good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I've recommended it before but 1900 on Harcourt St is fairly ideal for business lunches/dinners. Pretty impressive decor and good food for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

The Pigs Ear on Nassau St is fabulous, but you need to book. Cafe en Seine or Marco Pierre s either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I always bring my visiting clients or work colleagues to Johnny foxes. Ticks a lot of boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

BeerNut wrote: »
    Just over Ha'penny Bridge there's The Winding Stair, or a little beyond that The Church never fails to impress visitors, though I can't speak for the food. Definitely get out of Temple Bar, though.

+1 for The Church. I've taken foreign suppliers there several times for food and it's always been decent.

They have live Irish dancing Sunday to Wednesday which may appeal to your visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

The food in the church is ****e but I can see how it would appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

^^ Communion wafers??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I absolutely love Suesey Street. And they make such a fuss of you but very professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Marco Pierre's

I find it a bit overrated to be honest. FX Buckleys has better food in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Thanks for all the replies everyone, very helpful.
    I was going to go with L'Geueleton (boss is French/Canadian) but looking at the menu I'm not that keen now :)

So, going to go with FXB I think. Will be an early dinner (jet lag etc) and it's fairly close to where they are staying.

Thanks!

Advertisement