Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 7 - September 16th Release

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

I've a 128 jet black on order it's changed to processing but still giving mid to late October for delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

The Apple Store app is 'momentarily unavailable', wonder does that mean anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

I think it was clear from the start that there was savings to be made from using the uk store and p/m but yet people still choose to go with the Irish store WHY.

There was between 60-70 euro to be saved, me personally I'm always looking for a deal but with the same service that is giving from any topshop.

This is the first time I used apple with p/m but iv bought 43" TV just two weeks ago from Amazon with p/m and absolutely no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

wush06 wrote: »
    I think it was clear from the start that there was savings to be made from using the uk store and p/m but yet people still choose to go with the Irish store WHY.

There was between 60-70 euro to be saved, me personally I'm always looking for a deal but with the same service that is giving from any topshop.

This is the first time I used apple with p/m but iv bought 43" TV just two weeks ago from Amazon with p/m and absolutely no problem.

Easier, I get it on the day, and I dont have to collect it :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

miralize wrote: »
    Easier, I get it on the day, and I dont have to collect it :)

Most PM users will have it Friday evening when PM do their Dublin run.
    Some of us are lucky enough to live close enough to the pick up box that we do led wear or PJ's without risk of being seen :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Kagawa wrote: »
    Which one did you order, I ordered my black 7s 124gb at 12:30 and mine still shows being processed, hoping mine will change to preparing for dispatch too.

I ordered the iPhone 7 Black 32GB. I placed the order at 8.15am so it was in the first few minutes of it being available. There seemed to be ok stock for that model throughout the morning too, compared to other options. Maybe that's why it's already being prepared to ship.

I ordered thought the Irish store the normal way, I wasn't bothered with going the parcel motel route, just in case I didn't get it till after the weekend or had any problems with payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

i thought they would not deliver them to PM or sumthin ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 185 ✭✭Frank101

There's 7th concrete block? Can it cut my nails? No good then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

The savings from ordering from the uk store are real. The way I look at it I'm getting the leather case for free compared to ordering from the ie store.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

liam7831 wrote: »

i thought they would not deliver them to PM or sumthin ?
    That was just speculation on my part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Relative to spending €1100, a saving of €50 wasnt worth the hassle of using revolut and PM this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

For those using Parcel Motel, can I suggest an alternative in Parcel Wizard?

Similar service but with added advantage of shipping to any address that you want for the same cost instead of having to go to a pick up location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

DuffleBag wrote: »
    Relative to spending €1100, a saving of €50 wasnt worth the hassle of using revolut and PM this morning.

I don't see the PM route as a hassle at all, when I used to order from the Irish site I and herself on standby for the phone to be delivered, but with PM it's there and I can go get it anytime I'm not hanging around waiting for a courier, plus it's that bit cheaper so as others have said its like getting the official case For free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Frank101 wrote: »
    There's 7th concrete block? Can it cut my nails? No good then!

What ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

A few reasons for me:

1) If there is a problem with the phone and for some reason it has to be returned, I don't want to have to negotiate with Apple to try and arrange a collection and re-delivery at an ROI address.
    It is not uncommon for the first batches have minor fault due to poor QC (for example a small scratch on the casing). It has happened to me with 2 Apple devices in the past 4 years. In that case I want to be sure things are a no brainier: call Apple and get a new one.

2) Parcel Motel works well enough and there is extended liability cover. But there can always be issues introducing another delivery company - and if the phone gets lost you will be in limbo for a while as they are inquiring about what happened.

3) I think you are supposed to get AppleCare+ from your country of residence, even though I doubt in practise it makes a difference, not taking any chance.

All in all, those small risks are not worth less than 5% saving on the total purchase price for me (if it was 10 or 15% then I would probably consider the UK option - which I used once in the past as the saving was much more). But I can see how others will see it differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I don't see the PM route as a hassle at all, when I used to order from the Irish site I and herself on standby for the phone to be delivered, but with PM it's there and I can go get it anytime I'm not hanging around waiting for a courier, plus it's that bit cheaper so as others have said its like getting the official case For free.

It is if you were going after a particular model and wanted to make sure you got it day one. These things fly like hot cakes and even the 1-2 minute delay in changing cards on your Apple ID to use Revolut and entering in your pm address could knock you back a delivery window or two.

Bob24 wrote: »
    A few reasons for me:

1) If there is a problem with the phone and for some reason it has to be returned, I don't want to have to negotiate with Apple to try and arrange a collection and re-delivery at an ROI address.
    It is not uncommon for the first batches have minor fault due to poor QC (for example a small scratch on the casing). It has happened to me with 2 Apple devices in the past 4 years. In that case I want to be sure things are a no brainier: call Apple and get a new one.

2) Parcel Motel works well enough and there is extended liability cover. But there can always be issues introducing another delivery company - and if the phone gets lost you will be in limbo for a while as they are inquiring about what happened.

3) I think you are supposed to get AppleCare+ from your country of residence, even though I doubt in practise it makes a difference, not taking any chance.

All in all, those small risks are not worth less than 5% saving on the total purchase price for me (if it was 10 or 15% then I would probably consider the UK option - which I used once in the past as the saving was much more). But I can see how others will see it differently.

Just to clarify, I've bought every iPhone in Belfast.
    75% of them had to go back to apple for one reason or another, and every time I get the option of UPS mail in, express mail in with replacement phone up front or just call back to store. So buying the uk does not effect warranty fixes one bit at all.

For all Irish users, the mail in is the only option as we have no store here anyway.

kceire wrote: »
    Just to clarify, I've bought every iPhone in Belfast.
    75% of them had to go back to apple for one reason or another, and every time I get the option of UPS mail in, express mail in with replacement phone up front or just call back to store. So buying the uk does not effect warranty fixes one bit at all.

For all Irish users, the mail in is the only option as we have no store here anyway.

Yes correct, but I was talking about something different though.

If when you receive the phone there is for exemple a small scratch on the casing due to a manufacturing defect, what you will need is not warranty service. It will be considered dead on arrival and you will want Apple to collect it back from you as part of an exchange process and they will create a new order for 0 euros in their system to send you a brand new one with full packaging as a matter of priority (whereas under the regular warranty service they would send a refurbished one with basic packaging and no accessories). This won't be organised by their technical support team but rather by their sales support team, which has different processes. By default they can only create that new order and arrange the collection in the same country where you placed the original order (if you talk to them for a while and get things escalated, they might show some flexibility, but this is not guaranteed).

Yes correct, but I was talking about something different though.

If when you receive the phone there is for exemple a small scratch on the casing due to a manufacturing defect, what you will need is not warranty service. It will be considered dead on arrival and you will want Apple to collect it back from you as part of an exchange process and they will create a new order for 0 euros in their system to send you a brand new one with full packaging as a matter of priority (whereas under the regular warranty service they would send a refurbished one with basic packaging and no accessories). This won't be organised by their technical support team but rather by their sales support team, which has different processes. By default they can only create that new order and arrange the collection in the same country where you placed the original order (if you talk to them for a while and get things escalated, they might show some flexibility, but this is not guaranteed).

I don't think this is the case. I think you get the same treatment. I don't know anyone that has been left hung out to dry by Apple after buying in uk.

Heck, I even bought 2 iPhone 6 in NYC for my mam and dad and they still replaced one of them under warranty, but I had to bring that one to Belfast but that's a known issue with buying in the USA.

Buy in Belfast and you get the same service, warranty,service as buying from the ie store.

• Advertisement

I don't think this is the case. I think you get the same treatment. I don't know anyone that has been left hung out to dry by Apple after buying in uk.

Heck, I even bought 2 iPhone 6 in NYC for my mam and dad and they still replaced one of them under warranty, but I had to bring that one to Belfast but that's a known issue with buying in the USA.

Buy in Belfast and you get the same service, warranty,service as buying from the ie store.

I can guarantee the process is different for this kind of replacement (again it is not the same as warranty service). I have personal experience and I did see the difference between an order made on the Irish store (very straightforward) and another one made on the UK store and delivered through PM (got there eventually, but after a few days, a few phone calls with Apple, and an employee seeking manager approval for an exception to the proccess).

I can guarantee the process is different for this kind of replacement (again it is not the same as warranty service). I have personal experience and I did see the difference between an order made on the Irish store (very straightforward) and another one made on the UK store and delivered through PM (got there eventually, but after a few days, a few phone calls with Apple, and an employee seeking manager approval for an exception to the proccess).

So let's say I order an iPhone 7 from Apple uk. It goes to PM. It then goes to me. I open and it has a scratch. I contact Apple and they send me the parcel to send it back and they send me a replacement.

Now, let's say I buy from the Irish store. Same thing happens. I contact Apple, and then send me a parcel to send it back. They send me a new one.

Same process?

Btw, I'm genuinely questioning, not being smart or anything. I've bought from a mixture of sources over the years for family and friends as I'm the Apple go to guy in my family.

So let's say I order an iPhone 7 from Apple uk. It goes to PM. It then goes to me. I open and it has a scratch. I contact Apple and they send me the parcel to send it back and they send me a replacement.

Now, let's say I buy from the Irish store. Same thing happens. I contact Apple, and then send me a parcel to send it back. They send me a new one.

Same process?

Nope, not exactly the same.

In your first scenario, when you talk to the Apple sales support team they will tell you that they can only collect the DOA phone and arrange a replacement order at a UK address. If you talk to the tech support team they will tell you this kind issue is handled by the sales support team (replacing a scratched phone is not covered by warranty). Having said that and as I mentioned, if you talk to them for some time they are likely to try an find a solution for you (Apple usually does). But this will be outside their usual process so it will take longer and it is not 100% guaranteed they will do it.

In the second scenario, the sales support team will offer to immediately place a priority flagged order for a new one billed 0 euros (which you will see on your apple store web account as an actual order and will be a brand new fully packaged phone, as opposed to a warranty replacement which is a different process); and to arrange collection for the damaged phone at an ROI address.

The key difference compared to your first exemples is that replacing a scratched phone is not a manufacturer warranty service. It is the seller (Apple UK or or Apple Ireland) placing a new order for you because the first one was not fulfilled properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I've had this problem before in relation to my apple watch and it applies to all mac products.
    I bought the watch last week before it had launched in Ireland from the UK and needed to send it back after a week due to scratches. From talking to Support I would have had to send it back to the UK as the watch hadn't yet launched in Ireland. Luckily it was the following week when it launched so the chap told me I could ring up then and they would process it through the Ireland site as required.
    Essentially your product is supported throughout but only if it has been launched in your country. If not then you deal with the country you bought it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

I have a Parcel Motel ac. Want to buy iPhone, is it just order it off Apple.co.uk using my PM address? Has anyone actually used this method?

liam7831 wrote: »
    I have a Parcel Motel ac. Want to buy iPhone, is it just order it off Apple.co.uk using my PM address? Has anyone actually used this method?

I usually go and collect in store but this year I'm away next weekend so I've used PM for the first time with Apple.

I use PM on a weekly basis for eBay or Amazon without issue. I've a PM hotel within 30 seconds of my house so it's perfect.

When you register with PM, the give you a unique ID that you put in the first line of the delivery address or after your name, then a postal address in Antrim.

It's very straight forward tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

Hello, I ordered my iPhone from the Irish store, but it won't be shipping anytime soon. The reason why I bought it from the Irish store over the uk store is from what I know many insurance companies in Ireland like gadgetinsurance.ie won't insure the iPhone unless it was bought in Ireland.
    Does anybody know any insurance companies that'll insure an iPhone bought in the uk?. if so I might go the uk route and save some money.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Ordered my iPhone 7 black 128gb via the app . Delivery estimated 22-26th via express delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

nokia211 wrote: »
    Hello, I ordered my iPhone from the Irish store, but it won't be shipping anytime soon. The reason why I bought it from the Irish store over the uk store is from what I know many insurance companies in Ireland like gadgetinsurance.ie won't insure the iPhone unless it was bought in Ireland.
    Does anybody know any insurance companies that'll insure an iPhone bought in the uk?. if so I might go the uk route and save some money.
    Thanks!

You are covered when buying from the UK.

This is from their website.

"The gadget has to be under 24 months old and must have been purchased from new by you in the Republic of Ireland, UK or US."

Link Here

I personally would never use them at least €75 a year to insure a device worth around €800 -€1000 with lots of T&Cs against claims is a complete rip off when compared to other insurances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

murpho999 wrote: »
    nokia211 wrote: »
    Thanks!

You are covered when buying from the UK.

This is from their website.

"The gadget has to be under 24 months old and must have been purchased from new by you in the Republic of Ireland, UK or US."

Link Here

I personally would never use them at least 75 a year to insure a device worth around 800 - 1000 with lots of T&Cs against claims is a complete rip off when compared to other insurances.

Oh right thanks! Do you know of any insurance companies that you would recommend?

Advertisement