Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 7 - September 16th Release

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Bob24 wrote: »
    Also works great with Apple Pay (tried it for the first time at Tesco earlier today, and it genuinely is the fastest way of paying I have on me, the time to process the transaction - including reading the fingerprint - was for some reason clearly faster than when I use my contactless card).
    UK I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

FourFourFM wrote: »
    How can a phone made of glass and aluminium look plastic-y?

It felt and looked plastic to me too. I thought it was wearing a cheap cover / protective film as it was on display, but no, it's really like that.

The silver one beside it felt more metal like, similar to the 6S. I'd assume the space grey would be more like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

Hello, I intend on ordering a new iPhone 7 plus tomorrow, which route would you recommend? Ireland or the U.K through parcel motel. Is there much of a cost saving or advantage?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Anyone have a hissing noise comong from their 7 when under load.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/17/iphone-7-hissing-sound-reports/?sr_source=Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Just back from the weekend away in the UK. I went into the local Apple store and they had none for sale only pre orders so I'll just have to wait until the first week in Oct to get mine. Got to use the iPhone 7 Plus that was on display really liked it and can't wait to get mine now it will be a massive upgrade from my Note 2 that I am currently using.

At least I'll have time to pick out a cover and screen protector for the phone now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

dubmick wrote: »
    UK I presume?

I set it up with a French visa card. But using it in Ireland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

nokia211 wrote: »
    Hello, I intend on ordering a new iPhone 7 plus tomorrow, which route would you recommend? Ireland or the U.K through parcel motel. Is there much of a cost saving or advantage?
    Thanks

Depends on exchange rate on the day but by ordering through the uk and PM you usually save about €50. But you could save more if you use a Revolut card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Really enjoying the iPhone 7. I got the Black 32GB model. Been putting it through it's paces the past 2.5 days.

Build quality is up to the usual great standard. Phone feels heavier than I thought it would, but super thin and comfortable enough to hold.

The speed lives up to the hype, switching between apps is super fast and haven't had an app reload so far when switching.

Battery life lasts a day for me easily, took out of charge at 10am today and with apps, browsing, music over Bluetooth and games it still has 25% left at the moment (4.5hrs usage / 11.5hrs standby).

I feel that the sound over Bluetooth is better too, I've come from a 5c so a big jump but it definitely sounds better.

iOS 10 adds to the whole thing, the keyboard clicks and sounds are much nicer. And the Taptic Engine and 3D Touch adds nicely to the experience. The new home button isn't bad at all, I've already gotten used to it.

Overall it's a solid upgrade for anybody coming from an iPhone 6 or previous. Everybody expecting their delivery this week will be happy with the upgrade I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

One thing I am loving on this thing is the speed of touch ID combined with the raise to wake functionality (maybe Touch ID on the 6S was already that fast but the software was not optimised to take advantage). Just click very briefly on the home button and the phone is awake and unlocked!

Also works great with Apple Pay (tried it for the first time at Tesco earlier today, and it genuinely is the fastest way of paying I have on me, the time to process the transaction - including reading the fingerprint - was for some reason clearly faster than when I use my contactless card).

What bank do you have a card from that you are able to use Apple Pay?

sdevine89 wrote: »

What bank do you have a card from that you are able to use Apple Pay?

The current account I use for most of my spendings is with a French bank which supports Apple Pay (even though it is not officially launched here, most contactless POS terminals do support it).

I hope Irish banks will support it soon as I have another card I'd like to add, but not holding my breath :-s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

DubDJ wrote: »
    Really enjoying the iPhone 7. I got the Black 32GB model. Been putting it through it's paces the past 2.5 days.

Build quality is up to the usual great standard. Phone feels heavier than I thought it would, but super thin and comfortable enough to hold.

The speed lives up to the hype, switching between apps is super fast and haven't had an app reload so far when switching.

Battery life lasts a day for me easily, took out of charge at 10am today and with apps, browsing, music over Bluetooth and games it still has 25% left at the moment (4.5hrs usage / 11.5hrs standby).

I feel that the sound over Bluetooth is better too, I've come from a 5c so a big jump but it definitely sounds better.

iOS 10 adds to the whole thing, the keyboard clicks and sounds are much nicer. And the Taptic Engine and 3D Touch adds nicely to the experience. The new home button isn't bad at all, I've already gotten used to it.

Overall it's a solid upgrade for anybody coming from an iPhone 6 or previous. Everybody expecting their delivery this week will be happy with the upgrade I'd imagine.

Upgrading from a 6 I agree - though dont notice any weight difference. Loving the 3d touch and the accessibility from lock screen for messages, whattsapp etc. Thought I was imaging the difference in the Bluetooth quality so glad someone else thinks the same

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

fifi28 wrote: »
    Upgrading from a 6 I agree - though dont notice any weight difference. Loving the 3d touch and the accessibility from lock screen for messages, whattsapp etc. Thought I was imaging the difference in the Bluetooth quality so glad someone else thinks the same
    It's definitely noticeabley heavier than the 6. Try hold them at the same time and you will see them. The 3D Touch is a nice feature although when I heard about it on the 6s I thought it was just a gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

guil wrote: »
    It's definitely noticeabley heavier than the 6. Try hold them at the same time and you will see them. The 3D Touch is a nice feature although when I heard about it on the 6s I thought it was just a gimmick.

Yep tried holding both coz ive passed the 6 on to the oh but couldnt really tell the difference. Absolutely agree on the 3d touch - so handy now to just raise the 7 to wake and reply to a mesage. Maybe im just getting lazier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I think 3D Touch is better integrated now, so much less of a gimmick. It's one of those features where you need to go around clicking random things to see what they do. Some of the widgets are nice, and got an app notification earlier that I was able to expand with 3D Touch and get more stats . Best feature is clicking links for a preview, works in most apps too.

Dunno if there's much different from the 6 in weight but coming from a 5c is definitely feels heavier. For some reason I assumed it to be lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Coleman316

DubDJ wrote: »

Came on to give a similar review. Im upgrading from the 5 so a big jump for me. The fake home button click is amazing as it feels like something is clicking even though nothing is moving at all. I am delighted with the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Have my 7 now, should I charge it fully when I turn it on or waste down the battery and then charge it fully?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Have my 7 now, should I charge it fully when I turn it on or waste down the battery and then charge it fully?

Follow these tips: http://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

First day using the 7 as a portable music player today - and impressions on the lack of headphone jack are mixed-up (I am one of those - many - people who still prefer small wired earphones for day-to-day use).

I understand Apple's decision and living with with a fairly small adapter is not much of a bother in my opinion (especially since I know it isa transition period as my earphones usually have a lifespan of 2-3 years before they break or get lost - so the next ones will be either lightning or bluetooth). The adapter is pretty small and music playback seems to work very well with no obvious difference in sound quality in my usual listening environment (which his not silent).

However 2 small reasons for concern have appeared this morning:
    - The female jack of the adapter and the male jack of the earphones create a large chunk of plastic/metal on the cable just a few centimetres away from the phone. Once everything is in your packet that chuck tends to rest either next to the screen and the back of the phone and of course to move a little bit. I am afraid after a while it could cause some scratches.
    - While the remote control of the earphones seem to be supported, it doesn't seem to work consistently. This morning I tried to change the volume and noticed none of the button on the remote were having any effect. After unplugging the lighting connector and plugging it again the functionality came back, but if this is becoming a regular occurrence this could be annoying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Has anyone ordered a tampered glass or film screen protector yet?
    I've used them over the years and I like the idea of having one on.

I went to order from eBay but when you click on the descriptions it says they are compatible with the 6 and 6S too which makes me believe they are jus selling on the older ones.

Has anyone got a link to one that is a definite fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 beaconballs

STILL no update from Vodafone. I called them three times a day all last week and I've been fobbed off every single time. REALLY bad customer service. I took Friday off because they said I would have it then... but nothing!

IS there any Vodaphone mods on? I ordered the Plus 156GB and the latest is, they said I would have it today or tomorrow worst case... hmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I spoke to quite a number of people over the weekend that are jumping ship from Samsung to iPhone 7. Apple's marketing team deserve a pat on the back. Between all the press and controlled stock it's looking like Apple might get out of their plateau.

STILL no update from Vodafone. I called them three times a day all last week and I've been fobbed off every single time. REALLY bad customer service. I took Friday off because they said I would have it then... but nothing!

IS there any Vodaphone mods on? I ordered the Plus 156GB and the latest is, they said I would have it today or tomorrow worst case... hmmm.

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1270

That's where to try.

I spoke to quite a number of people over the weekend that are jumping ship from Samsung to iPhone 7. Apple's marketing team deserve a pat on the back. Between all the press and controlled stock it's looking like Apple might get out of their plateau.

Samsung also gave them a bit of a hand with their exploding phones. I do think the strong success of the 7 Plus (which is selling more than the regular 7) is due to people who originally wanted a Note 7 and are left with no other premium phablet to their liking aside from the iPhone (of course many will delay their purchase or go for another Android phone, but a decent amount must be turning to Apple).

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Samsung also gave them a bit of a hand with their exploding phones. I do think the strong success of the 7 Plus (which is selling more than the regular 7) is due to people who originally wanted a Note 7 and are left with no other premium phablet to their liking aside from the iPhone (of course many will delay their purchase or go for another Android phone, but a decent amount must be turning to Apple).

I'm one of those customers. I was originally going to go with the Note 7 I'm currently using the Note 2 and like the bigger screen size. But due to the massive f*$k up I have jumped ship and bought the iPhone 7 plus, looking forward to experiencing the new OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

kceire wrote: »
    Has anyone got a link to one that is a definite fit?
    I got the "professional" screen protectors from Tesco - 3 for 9.99

I originally bought them for the 6 but they fit perfectly on the 7 too (and I would be quite OCD over protectors fitting properly - so much so that I usually avoid using them).

Quick question - I'm restoring my latest backup via the iCloud to iPhone 7 but it says 'iOS 10.0.1 required'.

How can I download the latest iOS? Set up as new iPhone?

Thanks

Just setup as new phone and update then do a restore after.

Quick question - I'm restoring my latest backup via the iCloud to iPhone 7 but it says 'iOS 10.0.1 required'.

How can I download the latest iOS? Set up as new iPhone?

Thanks

There seems to be a new functionality this year whereby the phone can download the latest iOS update before restoring a backup. It did that automatically for me and I remember another poster mentioned the same thing.

There seems to be a new functionality this year whereby the phone can download the latest iOS update before restoring a backup. It did that automatically for me and I remember another poster mentioned the same thing.

Just remembered that iCloud stuff is blocked at work.

• Advertisement

That's an awesome addition!

Advertisement