Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 7 - September 16th Release

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

guil wrote: »
    I have my 7 Matt black since Friday and no case on it. No fingerprints at all.

Same here - that's the way to go ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Bob24 wrote: »
    Same here - that's the way to go ;-)

Hope so, thats the one I ordered, matte black 7 plus,:)

Interesting video for those of us who are more concerned about real world use than tech specs: http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/9/19/12970256/iphone-7-speed-galaxy-note-7

The speed difference between the iPhone 7 and that Note 7 to accomplish the same tasks was a genuine surprise to me. I had no pre-concived opinion and expected both of them to be broadly in the same league, but the iPhone actually destroys the Note.

It is not scientific by any mean and there might be situations where the iPhone is slower, but it goes to show Apple definitely has an edge in terms of reactivity for day-to-day use.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Bob24 wrote: »
    Interesting video for those of us who are more concerned about real world use than tech specs: http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/9/19/12970256/iphone-7-speed-galaxy-note-7

The speed difference between the iPhone 7 and that Note 7 to accomplish the same tasks was a genuine surprise to me. I had no pre-concived opinion and expected both of them to be broadly in the same league, but the iPhone actually destroys the Note.

It is not scientific by all means and there might be situations where the iPhone is slower, but it goes to show Apple definitely has an edge in terms of reactivity for day-to-day use.

Just watched that a few minutes and I was very surprised too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Matte black iPhone definitely looks great, it does pick up slight finderprints but they're more like smudges. Not really noticeable at all. It does have that stealthy look to it, definitely my favourite of all the iPhone 6 - 7 colours.

• Advertisement

Since the 5s I have had iPhones with a white face so it's a big change. Was there ever anymore to that "dark mode" that some developer found?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Since the 5s I have had iPhones with a white face so it's a big change. Was there ever anymore to that "dark mode" that some developer found?
    I'd say it's for next years iPhone, to take advantage of the OLED display that's rumoured.

It could of been just part of testing though and never actually be released officially.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Feck it I just bought the Iphone 7 s plus matte black lol

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Just watched that a few minutes and I was very surprised too.

Wasn't surprised by this at all. Android is dirt slow (but getting better) and is one of the reasons why there were phones that had almost double the specs of comparable iPhones 2-3 years ago but always struggled to keep pace.

It's a great showcase for what owning the full hardware->software stack can have and it's one of the reasons why Apple have such huge profit margins as they could get away with 1gb of ram for so long when other android phones had 3+

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

That's some beating the note takes.

I was all about the jet black colour until I saw the matte one, that and (like I said before) is destroy the jet black shininess in a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/19/jet-black-iphone-7-plus-orders-shipping/

Looks like any of you waiting on orders from apple might not have quite as long as first thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Interestingly I am due an upgrade on the 6th October which is also same time contract runs out. I could port the number over to Eir for 25 euro a month for 6 months, then it goes up to 45. This would get my an iPhone 7 128gb for 399. Also, Interestingly CEX are paying 930 euro for these at the moment. I already own an S7 Edge which is unlocked and currently paying 45 euro month anyway. I don't see the downside to this other than being locked into a contract for 24 months. Cheaper bills by nearly 50% for 6 months, then same price as paying now for 18 months, and 531 euro profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

That's some beating the note takes.

I was all about the jet black colour until I saw the matte one, that and (like I said before) is destroy the jet black shininess in a week

I've seen two, one looked ruined from scratches, the other just looked filthy. Honestly I don't know how they approved it. It kinda flies in the face of Ive's regard for Rams design principles - I'm giving him a pass on the fake speaker btw.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So today, I was on a walk with the baby. Said I'd open the ear pods and try them. Reminded me why I hated wires in the first place. Tangled with the buggy. Then the constant removing the phone and adjusting the wires etc that and the fact the right earpod just doesn't stay in my ear, never has!

So Apple, I've tried the lightning ear pods, I'm going back to my jabra wireless ear phones now.

Fake speaker?

My favourite iPhone "finish" was the 4/s that glass front and back was just beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

kceire wrote: »
    So today, I was on a walk with the baby. Said I'd open the ear pods and try them. Reminded me why I hated wires in the first place. Tangled with the buggy. Then the constant removing the phone and adjusting the wires etc that and the fact the right earpod just doesn't stay in my ear, never has!

So Apple, I've tried the lightning ear pods, I'm going back to my jabra wireless ear phones now.

Sounds like you've weird ears rather than anything wrong with the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Fake speaker?

My favourite iPhone "finish" was the 4/s that glass front and back was just beautiful.

The "speaker" on the left of the home button isn't actually a speaker, its just drilled holes to match the actual speaker on the other side.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ucd.1985 wrote: »

Nah, in ear buds just sit better. I've a set from my Samsung galaxy that are perfect and my jabra wireless ones stay in while running, cycling, lifting weights. I think the Apple design on the ear pods is not great IMO.

Fake speaker?

Yup on the iPhone's except the 6 and 6s generations there's been two speaker grills on the bottom of the phone flanking the charging port. Only the right one was ever a speaker. The other was purely cosmetic and it also conveniently housed a microphone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

What cases are people using on their 7?

Mine is naked at the moment! :)

Mine is staying that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

ucd.1985 wrote: »

I've got weird ears too then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The iPhone ear pods are the only earphones that have ever stayed in in my ears. Dunno what it is, but all other kinds seem to fall out.

Got my iPhone 7 but haven't splashed out for the new wireless ear pods yet. Perhaps in the future.

...and I think the iPhone 5 was the best design they've had. It was the perfect combination of size and shape for me.

Never use a case on my iPhone's but I always have the fear between ordering and getting the phone so I usually pick up an Apple case. This time went for the Midnight Blue silicone case.
    dudara wrote: »
    The iPhone ear pods are the only earphones that have ever stayed in in my ears. Dunno what it is, but all other kinds seem to fall out.

Got my iPhone 7 but haven't splashed out for the new wireless ear pods yet. Perhaps in the future.

...and I think the iPhone 5 was the best design they've had. It was the perfect combination of size and shape for me.

iPhone 5 was the best, in Slate too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Official Apple black leather and a cheap silicone from Amazon until it arrives.

iPhone 5 was the best, in Slate too.

Ooooh yeah!!! I forgot about that one.

I am torn about a case. I hate them, but I'm a divil for dropping my phone.. I never broke a screen on an iPhone (I've had all but the first) until the 6. I have broken 8 screens so far. It's just not grippy! :)

8 screens :eek:

I am torn about a case. I hate them, but I'm a divil for dropping my phone.. I never broke a screen on an iPhone (I've had all but the first) until the 6. I have broken 8 screens so far. It's just not grippy! :)

Is that for real?

I mean, assuming you have had the 6 since launch day this means on average one broken screen every 3 months. No insurance will cover than many incidents and after a while the replacement cost will seriously add-up. Are you paying for those replacements?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Mine has been deleivered to PM so I will definitely have it tonight happy days.:)

Advertisement