Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 7 - September 16th Release

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Ooooh yeah!!! I forgot about that one.

I am torn about a case. I hate them, but I'm a divil for dropping my phone.. I never broke a screen on an iPhone (I've had all but the first) until the 6. I have broken 8 screens so far. It's just not grippy! :)
    8 screens!!! Thankfully I haven't broke any since my iPhone 4 and at that it wasn't my fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I got the Speigen wallet cover for my iPhone 7 Plus, but prefer the cheap eBay one- no clasp that I found annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Bob24 wrote: »

I am torn about a case. I hate them, but I'm a divil for dropping my phone.. I never broke a screen on an iPhone (I've had all but the first) until the 6. I have broken 8 screens so far. It's just not grippy! :)

Is that for real?

I mean, assuming you have had the 6 since launch day this means on average one broken screen every 3 months. No insurance will cover than many incidents and after a while the replacement cost will seriously add-up. Are you paying for those replacements?

It's for real! :( I have learned to replace them myself. I only paid someone to do it once. I since the 6s cam out the screens have gone down a lot, 35 - 60 euro. In fairness to me, 3 of them were other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

Just checking have those whose delivery date was 20th-22nd started to received them today?

I'm down for 22nd to 26th - really hoping to receive this week.

Ordered Iphone 7, 32GB, Matt Black, Irish Apple Store (ordered morning after launch day)

Thanks in advance for any input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

fisab wrote: »
    Just checking have those whose delivery date was 20th-22nd started to received them today?

Ordered Iphone 7, 32GB, Matt Black (ordered morning after launch day)

Mine has been delivered to PM 7plus so I will have it tonight I ordered from the UK site.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It's for real! :( I have learned to replace them myself. I only paid someone to do it once. I since the 6s cam out the screens have gone down a lot, 35 - 60 euro. In fairness to me, 3 of them were other people.

You broke 3 others people's, or 3 other people broke yours?:p

whiterebel wrote: »
    You broke 3 others people's, or 3 other people broke yours?:p

Hahaha They broke mine! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I would have asked them to pay for repair at an Apple-approved facility with genuine parts!

You never know what issues might arise in the future if you install unconfirmed parts yourself (not only it will void the warranty, but Apple might refuse to service the phone related to another issue, or some functionality might stop working - see unofficial home button replacements which rendered touch ID unusable several months down the line).

I would have asked them to pay for repair at an Apple-approved facility with genuine parts!

You never know what issues might arise in the future if you install unconfirmed parts yourself (not only it will void the warranty, but Apple might refuse to service the phone related to another issue, or some functionality might stop working - see unofficial home button replacements which rendered touch ID unusable several months down the line).

Yep, I know the pain of the Touch ID not working correctly. I have given up on the poor aul Phone. Hopefully I'll have better luck with my 7. Maybe I'll get a Velcro glove for it or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

I got shipping email this morning, ordered iPhone 7 black 128gb from apple.ie hopefully get it next few days, anyone else order from apple- how long did it take to get phone after dispatch email?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    I got shipping email this morning, ordered iPhone 7 black 128gb from apple.ie hopefully get it next few days, anyone else order from apple- how long did it take to get phone after dispatch email?

My phone started its journey 12 hours before I got mine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Reading the recent posts about screen cracks and phone damage what do most of the current iPhone users use? A protective case with tempered glass screen protector or just the latter?

It would seem to be a real shame to buy a nicely designed phone such as the iPhone and then put a case around it? Would using tempered glass screen protector be enough to stop most screen cracks caused by dropping the phone?

• Administrators Posts: 53,847 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    They use Express DHL which is next day delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Delivered. Now I've to wait until clocking out time so that I can go home and play with it. Going to be a long day...

Delivered. Now I've to wait until clocking out time so that I can go home and play with it. Going to be a long day...

Were you down as '20th to 22nd'?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

neonman wrote: »
    Reading the recent posts about screen cracks and phone damage what do most of the current iPhone users use? A protective case with tempered glass screen protector or just the latter?

It would seem to be a real shame to buy a nicely designed phone such as the iPhone and then put a case around it? Would using tempered glass screen protector be enough to stop most screen cracks caused by dropping the phone?

A case is kinda essential with the 6/7 design due to slipperiness. You can get very thin ones that add very little bulk. I would only recommend getting a big thick case if you have a history of dropping your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

Mine has been deleivered to PM so I will definitely have it tonight happy days.:)

Is yours showing on the PM site or are you basing it off Apples tracking?

Apple show mine as being delivered to PM, but nothing appears on the PM site.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

If something gets delivered to PM it can take up to 6 hours for it to show on their system, depends on how many deliveries they actually get at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

A case is kinda essential with the 6/7 design due to slipperiness. You can get very thin ones that add very little bulk. I would only recommend getting a big thick case if you have a history of dropping your phone.

Yeah that's the reason why I've always used a cover.

Any time I've had it in my pocket (particularly work slacks or lounging at home in tracksuit bottoms) it always slides out of my pocket. I tend to use a simple bumper design to add grip. Plus it gives a little bit of drop protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eeloe wrote: »
    If something gets delivered to PM it can take up to 6 hours for it to show on their system, depends on how many deliveries they actually get at a time.

It also depends on how busy the PM location that you chose is. This tends to be a big problem at Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Were you down as '20th to 22nd'?

24 Sep - 26 Sep.

24 Sep - 26 Sep.

Thanks for the reply. Looks like a bit of a lottery timewise then :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I havent found that to be the 'case'. Sure you do get a better grip with one, but I seem to be able to grip it just fine in order to ensure that I dont drop it. Its all about the pinky placement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 T K

Ordered Iphone 7, 32GB, Matt Black, Irish Apple Store (ordered morning after launch day)

I'm 22nd-26th as well and I got a dispatch notification this morning - tracking number isn't working yet but the estimated arrival is Friday. Does anyone think it might come a bit earlier? Heading away on Thursday night for the weekend so I'd love if it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Tuesday to Friday seems slow. Do you live out in the sticks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 T K

Letterkenny (so kind of!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

miralize wrote: »
    Its all about the pinky placement :)

Correct, it needs to be at the bottom of the phone to prevent it from falling ;-)

Actually I kind of also had to do this with the 5.

But it also true that the phone is slippery enough and a case with better grip is not a bad thing (although I have myself decided to go naked as the tactile feel and physical aspect are much nicer).

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Correct, it needs to be a te bottom of the phone to prevent it from falling ;-)

Actually I kind of also had to do this with the 5.

But it also true that the phone is slippery enough and a case with better grip is not a bad thing (although I have myself decided to go naked as the tactile feel and physical aspect are much nicer).

I'm thinking of doing the same i.e. go naked with just a tempered glass screen protector. I got the matt black iPhone so I'm not sure if that will make a difference to how slippy the phone will end up being. I just don't see the point in buying a nice designed phone and then putting it in a case? I also bought AppleCare with mine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Holding the phone normally is one thing. The greatest risk of it slipping is when taking pictures in landscape mode or picking up the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

Charging Case arrived this morning, phones scheduled to arrive tomorrow, can't come quick enough now.

Advertisement