Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 7 - September 16th Release

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Order has moved to processing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

murpho999 wrote: »
    Who would want a monthly €80 bill though?

It doesn't show any of the prices for the lower plans yet so no idea what they are. I think it's usually around €100 more on the €60 plan and €150 more than that on the €40 plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Vodafone's minute monthly allowance is fairly poor at 100 mins :( 128gb 7plus is 600 on it

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Anybody order through the UK site get an email to contact Apple regarding your order?

Not yet.

But I was able to update my order to with the PMID I just put it into the company name field. Is that what you guys/gals did?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Ordered black 128gig 7 on Vodafone 40 a month plan upgrade. E500,the ***** upped price by 50! Don't have a choice but to use them though,reception and 4g miles ahead where I live.
    No indication of when I'll have phone either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

dan786 wrote: »
    Had to get two due to delivery times.

iPhone 7 Black 128GB Delivered on 16th to keep me going till I get 128GB 7 Plus first week of October.

The 256GB Plus seems enticing as delivery is 26th/27th

Both changed to Processing..

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Is the 2-3 week wait holding when the order is processed on Apple.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Can you cancel a preorder if the delivery date is too far in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Forgot how bloody expensive these things are and I don't really want to lock myself into another €40 contract for 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Forgot how bloody expensive these things are and I don't really want to lock myself into another €40 contract for 2 years.

I don't get people's fear of these contracts.

I'm currently with Meteor on a sim only €35 per month plan.

I can now get the iPhone 7 for €449 and go two years year contract for the exact same plan so effectively the phone will only cost me €449.

What's wrong with that?

• Advertisement

Ordered the 7 plus, 128gb, would of liked the jet black one but I think it would be very difficult to keep. Pity about the wait, if I had ordered earlier this morning would I have got an earlier date?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

I can now get the iPhone 7 for €449 and go two years year contract for the exact same plan so effectively the phone will only cost me €449.

What's wrong with that?

I'm just off 4 years of €40 a month and now paying €25 for the same deal. Initially left the contract cause I wanted to emigrate and that's still an option. I don't fear it, I just want the flexibility I have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Kagawa wrote: »
    Ordered the 7 plus, 128gb, would of liked the jet black one but I think it would be very difficult to keep. Pity about the wait, if I had ordered earlier this morning would I have got an earlier date?

Same date since morning, i still haven't bought it yet as normally do from belfast but they don't have pickup this year.

People who bought online, is there any chance it might arrive early, currently showing 1st week of oct.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

DubDJ wrote: »

Just FYI, I thought those plans looked great compared to Vodafone until I paid closer attention. The €35 plan becomes €45 after 6 months - so for a further 18 months.

iPhones and contracts just keep getting more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

What's wrong with that?

Yeah some people act like you are an idiot.
    I was contract free now,but couldn't find a non contract deal that matched what I get for 40 a mont from VF. I get Spotify,which I would buy anyway, so effectively pay 30 a month. All the other networks have woeful reception \ mobile data where I live whereas VF flies.
    Minutes and 3gig data suit me ,never go over,but I could see how it would put some off

deep1 wrote: »
    Kagawa wrote: »

Same date since morning, i still haven't bought it yet as normally do from belfast but they don't have pickup this year.

People who bought online, is there any chance it might arrive early, currently showing 1st week of oct.

Ok thanks, I collected my 6 from Belfast last time, I checked stores in London too and no pick up there either, there just doesn't seem to be any this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

being in a contract is terrible for the following reasons:

1. if you travel a lot, local sims are often way cheaper for data (i.e. I've a three uk sim which gets me free data in the US for a £15 top up), meteor currently charges €19.95 for 200mb.
    2. it affects the resell value as the phone isn't unlocked.

if none of these affects you, then contract can be handy to help spread the cost over the years. It's akin to motor tax, cheaper to pay for the year but not always feasible.

1. if you travel a lot, local sims are often way cheaper for data (i.e. I've a three uk sim which gets me free data in the US for a £15 top up), meteor currently charges €19.95 for 200mb.

if none of these affects you, then contract can be handy to help spread the cost over the years. It's akin to motor tax, cheaper to pay for the year but not always feasible.

I think 3 are the only network that won't unlock a phone in contract. Vodafone will after 3 bills or €200 in bills has been paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

guil wrote: »
    I think 3 are the only network that won't unlock a phone in contract. Vodafone will after 3 bills or €200 in bills has been paid.
    Eligibility Rules: Billpay
    your account is not currently suspended by Collections or our Customer Protection Team.
    you are a voice customer (we don’t issue unlock codes for broadband customers).
    if you have completed your contract period and not upgraded, we'll issue the unlock code, for the original/previous handset, free of charge.
    if you are still within your minimum term, you'll have to make an advance payment equivalent to the total of all the monthly charges still remaining before we will issue your unlock code.

They will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Absolutely - I was due an upgrade with 3 and considered the 6S 64gb at €479 (:eek:) for €40 per month. Same price at €25 a month oddly. Presumed the 7 would be same. So got the 7 sim free and am going to move to a 30 day plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

What's wrong with that?

Contracts with a phone are usually basically a free loan to buy the phone, as the monthly payment for your service are higher that the monthly payment you would have on for a similar service if you didn't get a contract. They also come with some caveats: locked phone at least initial, you are locked with the same provider for a while, everything which is not included in your bundle will be extra.

It might make sense for some people, but definitely doesn't for others.

Take an example of Meteor's 35 euro "regular extra" plan which I assume is the one you mentioned (as another poster pointed out is actually 45 after the first 6 months).

Over 24 months your total cost will be 449 (upfront payment for the phone 7 128GB) + 6*35 (promotion period) + 18*45 (rest of the contract). At the end of the day you will have paid 1469 euros.

Now if you go for the SIM only version of that same plan, it is 25 euros per month. So you will pay 889 (same iPhone unlocked from Apple) + 24*25 (2 years of service) meaning a total of 1489 euros.

So all things considered (phone + mobile service) getting the long contract saves you 20 euros over 24 months and gets you an interest-free loan to purchase the phone. Are those worth the fact that your phone will not be unlocked from day 1 and that you can't switch to another provider or move abroad without penalty for 24 months is probably a personal choice. But in my case I definitely prefer flexibility (I don't like loans anyway and I think 20 euros isn't much of a saving on something which costs circa 1500 given the restrictions it implies).

Phones can generally be unlocked before contract is up. For example, I'm with meteor, so you can unlock after €200 spend or 6 bills. Not that long.

Local SIMs when abroad mean different phone numbers, so not entirely that handy. European roaming is coming to an end, and free wifi becoming more prominent when abroad.

Even with travel I spend the majority of my time in Ireland, so the contract is a good option and it works out cheaper as people seem to ignore that they are getting a phone service in the price.

They will

Do you realise that means paying off the total cost of the contract? So for arguments sake if you are on a plan at €45 per month and want it unlocked with 15 months left it will cost you €675.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Contracts with a phone are usually free credit on the phone, as the monthly payment for your service are higher that the monthly payment you would have on for a similar service if you didn't get a contract. They also come with some caveats: locked phone at least initial, you are locked with the same provider for a while, everything which is not included in your bundle will be extra.

It might make sense for some people, but definitely doesn't for others.

Take an example of Meteor's 35 euro "regular extra" plan which I assume is the one you mentioned (as another poster pointed out is actually 45 after the first 6 months).

Over 24 months your total cost will be 449 (upfront payment for the phone 7 128GB) + 6*35 (promotion period) + 18*45 (rest of the contract). At the end of the day you will have paid 1469 euros.

Now if you go for SIM only version of that plan, it is 25 euros per month. So you will pay 889 (same iPhone unlocked from Apple) + 24*25 (2 years of service) meaning a total of 1489 euros.

So all things considered (phone + mobile service) getting the long contract saves you 20 euros over 24 months and gets you a free credit. Are those worth the fact that your phone will not be unlocked from day 1 and that you can't switch to another provider or move abroad without penalty for 24 months is probably a personal choice. But in my case I definitely prefer flexibility (I don't like credits anyway).

As I said you do not have to wait 2 years to unlock the phone; it's a maximum of 6 months. See here.

This offers the advantage of not having to fork out the cash upfront which is a benefit to many.

As I said you do not have to wait 2 years to unlock the phone; it's a maximum of 6 months. See here.

I know - what I said is that your phone will not be unlocked from day 1, which is correct.

As you said, in this example at the end of the day the main benefit is that you don't have to fork out all the cash upfront to buy the phone (and you are exchanging that against the fact that you will be locking yourself with the same provider for 24 months and originally have a locked phone).

A matter of personal preference but from my point of view unless someone is cash-strapped it doesn't make great sense (and in that case should they really buy the most expensive phone on the market?). Just my 2 cents (or 20 euros :-)).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Local SIMs when abroad mean different phone numbers, so not entirely that handy. European roaming is coming to an end, and free wifi becoming more prominent when abroad.

Even with travel I spend the majority of my time in Ireland, so the contract is a good option and it works out cheaper as people seem to ignore that they are getting a phone service in the price.

if you set up iMessage correctly you can still be reached on your irish number whilst using a different roaming number.

I know I'm an outlier here, I'm out of the country 1 week a month so sim free is completely necessary for me.

this is the beauty of it though, there's options to suit everyone. contracts or not, buying from states/uk or ireland, payg or sim-only. there's trousers to fit all.

if you set up iMessage correctly you can still be reached on your irish number whilst using a different roaming number.

On the phone? Can I ask how you do that?

iMessage can use several email addresses but when I remove the SIM and put another one, that number for the removed SIM definitely disappears from the list of recipient address in iMessage preferences, and only the one of the current one shows up.

I know - what I said is that your phone will not be unlocked from day 1, which is correct.

As you said, in this example at the end of the day the main benefit is that you don't have to fork out all the cash upfront to buy the phone (and you are exchanging that against the fact that you will be locking yourself with the same provider for 24 months and originally have a locked phone).

A matter of personal preference but from my point of view unless someone is cash-strapped it doesn't make great sense (and in that case should they really buy the most expensive phone on the market?). Just my 2 cents (or 20 euros :-)).

Well the unlock issue is not such a big deal for me and I also generally don't switch provider that much. I'm with Meteor, like their coverage. and would realistically only switch to Vodafone as I don't like 3 network or service.

Your cash strapped comment is really awful. People have different financial personal circumstances and the option of paying the phone off over 2 years can be advantageous and does not mean they should buy a cheaper phone.

Your cash strapped comment is really awful. People have different financial personal circumstances and the option of paying the phone off over 2 years can be advantageous and does not mean they should buy a cheaper phone.

As I said I don't think loans to purchase unessential entertainment products are a good idea and have always applied that to myself. If I want something I save first and then buy it. I don't judge individual people and obviously they can do whatever they want with their lives, but I don't see how it is awful to question whether this type of loan is good practice.

• Advertisement

As I said I don't think loans to purchase unessential entertainment products are a good idea and have always applied that to myself. If I want something I save first and then buy it. I don't judge individual people and obviously they can do whatever they want with their lives, but I don't see how it is awful to question whether this type of loan is good practice.

It's not a loan in the typical sense, just a commitment to a fixed amount each month. Not much different to your utilities.

It does not mean that people can not afford it, just all depends on how their cash flow is and how they can access it.

Advertisement