Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 7 - September 16th Release

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Coleman316

I must admit I like the freedom a sim free phone affords me. Currently with three for the all you can eat data but the coverage is shocking these days. Might look into going somewhere else.

Searching out my current iPhone 5 packaging and getting it ready to sell to try recoup some of the €889 I spent this morning. The wife isn't impressed but It's been 4 years since my last phone. I've done well to last that long.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I was really considering going off plan, either with my existing iP6 or a new iP7, but the sim only plans just aren't as attractive as I assumed they were.

Especially if data allowance and network satisfaction are important to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I'm trying to convince myself to not get my upgrade from Vodafone... It's only 199 for the Jet Black 128, that's not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's not a loan in the typical sense, just a commitment to a fixed amount each month. Not much different to your utilities.

It does not mean that people can not afford it, just all depends on how their cash flow is and how they can access it.

What you pay for the actual phone/data service is like your utilities.

The fact they you pay the phone 500 euros cheaper upfront and repay the difference overtime is definitely like a loan.

Anyway ... wrong topic to discuss personal finances.

Dades wrote: »
    I was really considering going off plan, either with my existing iP6 or a new iP7, but the sim only plans just aren't as attractive as I assumed they were.

Especially if data allowance and network satisfaction are important to you.

From what you said, I take it you are reluctant to getting a Three prepaid all-you-can-eat plan? ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Bob24 wrote: »
    Contracts with a phone are usually basically a free loan to buy the phone, as the monthly payment for your service are higher that the monthly payment you would have on for a similar service if you didn't get a contract. They also come with some caveats: locked phone at least initial, you are locked with the same provider for a while, everything which is not included in your bundle will be extra.

It might make sense for some people, but definitely doesn't for others.

Take an example of Meteor's 35 euro "regular extra" plan which I assume is the one you mentioned (as another poster pointed out is actually 45 after the first 6 months).

Over 24 months your total cost will be 449 (upfront payment for the phone 7 128GB) + 6*35 (promotion period) + 18*45 (rest of the contract). At the end of the day you will have paid 1469 euros.

Now if you go for the SIM only version of that same plan, it is 25 euros per month. So you will pay 889 (same iPhone unlocked from Apple) + 24*25 (2 years of service) meaning a total of 1489 euros.

So all things considered (phone + mobile service) getting the long contract saves you 20 euros over 24 months and gets you an interest-free loan to purchase the phone. Are those worth the fact that your phone will not be unlocked from day 1 and that you can't switch to another provider or move abroad without penalty for 24 months is probably a personal choice. But in my case I definitely prefer flexibility (I don't like loans anyway and I think 20 euros isn't much of a saving on something which costs circa 1500 given the restrictions it implies).

Also, looking again at this.

I am happy enough to stay with Meteor for the next 2 years.

At present I am out of contract on €35 per month deal.

So I would be spending that over the next 2 years anyhow, regardless of what phone I have.

Therefore, if I upgrade to the 7 I would have the following extra costs.

Upfront €449
    18 months x €10 extra per month for deal = €180

So I'm actually spending €629 extra. As opposed to €889.

At present I am out of contract on €35 per month deal.

So I would be spending that over the next 2 years anyhow, regardless of what phone I have.

Upfront €449
    18 months x €10 extra per month for deal = €180

So I'm actually spending €629 extra. As opposed to €889.

If they allow that in your case, it indeed is a better deal compared to what the offer on their website. But I would double check it is the case - getting a new phone effectively means signing a new contract which could have different terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

deep1 wrote: »
    Same date since morning, i still haven't bought it yet as normally do from belfast but they don't have pickup this year.

People who bought online, is there any chance it might arrive early, currently showing 1st week of oct.

ye dont be surprised to see it earlier

got mine a week earlier 2 years ago after an estimated arrival date

cramp wrote: »
    ye dont be surprised to see it earlier

got mine a week earlier 2 years ago after an estimated arrival date

+1 they are usually a bit conservative in their estimates to avoid customer complaints about delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

At present I am out of contract on 35 per month deal.

Upfront 449
    18 months x 10 extra per month for deal = 180

So I'm actually spending 629 extra. As opposed to 889.

If they allow that in your case, it indeed is a better deal compared to what the offer on their website. But I would double check it is the case - getting a new phone effectively means signing a new contract which could have different terms.
    I've been on the same terms with O2/3 since the iPhone 3G in July 2008! Truly unlimited data with 150 calls/mins for 34 euro a month... make the billpay option for me a no-brainer.

• Advertisement

Earlier today it was saying you can get an iPhone 7 black 128gb delivered 26th to 28th of Sept. It's now saying 20th to 22nd so there is some revision happening with estimated dates.

What do you mean if they allow that?

What has to be allowed?

I'm presently on the same €35 euro plan, so it would now increase after 6 months by €10 a month for 18 of the 24 months.

I don't see what has to be allowed or double checked.

What has to be allowed?

I'm presently on the same 35 euro plan, so it would now increase after 6 months by 10 a month for 18 of the 24 months.

Yes I mean that when you buy/order the phone they will have to have you to agree on an amendment of your contract to extend it for another 24 month. Make sure that amendment doesn't change anything else.

Yes I mean that when you buy/order the phone they will have to have you to agree on an amendment of your contract to extend it for another 24 month. Make sure that amendment doesn't change anything else.

I'm not extending anything as I am out of contract at the moment so no issue there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

From what you said, I take it you are reluctant to getting a Three prepaid all-you-can-eat plan? ;-)
    You are correct! I've been warned off Three and not just by Boardsies. Also, I need to be able to tether without paying for the privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

I just went on to the apple store to buy a Jet Black 128GB and it says

Delivers 7 Oct - 14 Oct :confused:

Whats the story with this :confused: why would it take so long? (3-4 weeks delivery seems a bit excessive)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

ION08 wrote: »

Whats the story with this :confused: why would it take so long? (3-4 weeks delivery seems a bit excessive)

A popular order may take longer to fulfill

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It was released at 8am this morning. You missed the early boat.

Try order a new mondeo, 3 month wait with the spec you want!

Mid October was everyone's expected date for the jet black ones I think unfortunately. I wonder does it hurt their sales in any way. Having people waiting for a month for a phone has to turn a few people off buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

What has to be allowed?

I'm presently on the same €35 euro plan, so it would now increase after 6 months by €10 a month for 18 of the 24 months.

You on the €35pm Sim Only ?

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    You are correct! I've been warned off Three and not just by Boardsies. Also, I need to be able to tether without paying for the privilege.

I'm not a Three sales rep so not trying to change your mind here, but from my experience network performance has increased quite a bit in the past few months and it is now very usable (at least in Dublin) - though no doubt Vodafone will give you faster speeds but for me as long as I know I get at least 5-10 Mpbs most of the time I am happy. Also it might be that rules have changed for new customers but I have no problem tethering as part of the data allowance (even while roaming for free on a Three network abroad ... I was on holiday in Italy last week and was sharing the connection amongst all my devices as part of my monthly data plan in Ireland, which is actually pretty neat when you travel).

I won't defend some of their dodgy commercial practices and their poor customer service though ... my experience corresponds to the feedback you got (though I have actually had to contact customer service very little since moving to them about 2 years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

I ordered this morning and it's telling me the 17th to 28th October delivery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I'm not a Three sales rep so not trying to change your mind here, but from my experience network performance has increased quite a bit in the past few months and it is now very usable (at least in Dublin) - though no doubt Vodafone will give you faster speeds but for me as long as I know I get at least 5-10 Mpbs most of the time I am happy. Also it might be that rules have changed for new customers but I have no problem tethering as part of the data allowance (even while roaming for free on a Three network abroad ... I was on holiday in Italy last week and was sharing the connection amongst all my devices as part of my monthly data plan in Ireland, which is actually pretty neat when you travel).

I won't defend some of their dodgy commercial practices and their poor customer service though ... my experience corresponds to the feedback you got (though I have actually had to contact customer service very little since moving to them about 2 years ago).

From my experience, 3 are hands down the best network in Ireland, until you have an issue. Luckily I've never encountered a problem, but my wife did have a 2 month long escapade with an upgrade a few years back with _so_ many messups on their part.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They tell you tethering is against their T&Cs but don't stop anyone doing it. As with any move to another operator, its probably best to get a prepay sim for a week or two and see what the service is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Just got a call from the bank to ask if I had attempted to make a purchase from Apple, so must mean it's shipping already if they're charging the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

7 plus Rose Gold 32GB with meteor

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Ordered from the uk store to p/m 32g black for £599 used my revolut card total cost at the time was €706 so a saving of about €70 from the Irish site.

Now add the €4 for the p/m and €4 more to up the Insurance so a saving to be had also as it stands launch day delivery so hoping to have it on the Saturday or Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Pre-order now available from 3 for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

Three Cheaper than Apple by 30e for Prepay but obviously locked to Three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

iPhone 7 Plus 128GB €180 more on 3 than Vodafone?!?!

Monthly contract is cheaper though, no?

Advertisement