Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Watch (Series 2) - September 16th Release

• 07-09-2016 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭

The new Apple Watch lineup was announced today. Few changes across the board, now called 'Series 2'. The original Apple Watch was updated with a new dual core chip, start at 349 for the 38mm version. The 42mm one is 379.

They also added a GPS, water resistant version which adds 100 euro to the price of the standard Apple Watch. Same dual core chip included. New Nike version announced as well which will be release later on October.

Preorders are this Friday (9th) and officially released the following week (16th).

Smaller update but definitely some nice additions. Also a new ceramic 'edition' version added to the lineup.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,615 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I think im going to make that jump for the series 2

Any word on the battery and is it better than the previous version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Headshot wrote: »
    I think im going to make that jump for the series 2

Any word on the battery and is it better than the previous version?

I didn't think they mentioned a single word about watch battery at the event earlier. Series 1 is tempting given the price drop, but I don't think it'll have the exact same processor as Series 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Yeah they skimmed over any mention of battery. It either means it's worse than before, or the same and they didn't bring it up. The standard watch would more likely be the same, not sure about the GPS model.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I didn't think they mentioned a single word about watch battery at the event earlier. Series 1 is tempting given the price drop, but I don't think it'll have the exact same processor as Series 2.

Its the same, apart from the lack of the GPS in the chip.

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

whiterebel wrote: »
    Its the same, apart from the lack of the GPS in the chip.
    Series 2 comes with the better screen too.

Series 1 seems to be just the original watch with a better processor and water splash damage.

Watch battery info here: http://www.apple.com/ie/watch/battery.html

Up to ~5 hours workout which will be good for most but no use for long distance cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

awec wrote: »
    Series 2 comes with the better screen too.

Series 1 seems to be just the original watch with a better processor and water splash damage.

Watch battery info here: http://www.apple.com/ie/watch/battery.html

Up to ~5 hours workout which will be good for most but no use for long distance cycling.

The original was always splash resistant. Series 2 are water resistant up to 50M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The original was always splash resistant. Series 2 are water resistant up to 50M.

Not really 50m, taken from apple site

* Apple Watch Series 2 has a water resistance rating of 50 metres under ISO standard 22810:2010. This means that it may be used for shallow-water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean. However, Apple Watch Series 2 should not be used for scuba diving, waterskiing or other activities involving high-velocity water or submersion below shallow depth.

Blazer wrote: »
    Not really 50m, taken from apple site

* Apple Watch Series 2 has a water resistance rating of 50 metres under ISO standard 22810:2010. This means that it may be used for shallow-water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean. However, Apple Watch Series 2 should not be used for scuba diving, waterskiing or other activities involving high-velocity water or submersion below shallow depth.

I'm tempted as I just broke the screen on my old one, ie I can send it off and have it replaced for a cost of €200 bit I wonder would I get the new s1 dual core, probably not :( , and this time around I'd go for the steel version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I'm wondering with the Nike Apple Watch will it have all the same features as the standard watch like changing the watch face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I will be interested to see if any of the Mac sites do a clear analysis of the differences between Series 1 and 2. I'm probably leaning towards the revamped Series 1 as the water protection is not a big deal for me. I'm also not sure what the real world benefits of having GPS on the watch are?

I'm a bit disappointed in the UK prices as there was a serious bargain to be had up to yesterday (€429 v c.€360 (£299)). The current weakness of sterling has played a big part in that. While the euro price for the Series 1 saw a €50 reduction, the price in the UK remains unchanged!

• Advertisement

Seems like they took last years model, updated the processor inside and called it the Series 1.

They took that same watch, added a better screen, new speaker with water resistance and added GPS and called it the Series 2.

That seems to be the basics between the two. I do a fair bit of running so the GPS appeals to me, but the 42mm has a price of 479 which doesn't. If it was 379 I would of picked one up but not sure if it's worth the premium. Without the GPS it's not as much value. I'll be sitting on the watch for now and seeing what reviews etc are like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

DubDJ wrote: »
    ...but the 42mm has a price of 479 which doesn't. If it was 379 I would of picked one up but not sure if it's worth the premium.

I know it's a moot point for most, but if you know anybody going to the states, it works out around 385 EUR including 9% sales tax as an example...

tallpaul wrote: »
    I will be interested to see if any of the Mac sites do a clear analysis of the differences between Series 1 and 2. I'm probably leaning towards the revamped Series 1 as the water protection is not a big deal for me. I'm also not sure what the real world benefits of having GPS on the watch are?

I'm a bit disappointed in the UK prices as there was a serious bargain to be had up to yesterday (€429 v c.€360 (£299)). The current weakness of sterling has played a big part in that. While the euro price for the Series 1 saw a €50 reduction, the price in the UK remains unchanged!

Lets you use it without having to have your phone on your person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I'm gonna take the plunge for Series 2. I held off too long for the first one.

I know it's a moot point for most, but if you know anybody going to the states, it works out around 385 EUR including 9% sales tax as an example...

Unfortunately I don't have the international connections haha.

Looks like the UK prices aren't as competitive either. Most prices have increased across the board due to Brexit.

I have read that even with different named chips, the processors are the same in both Series. Therefore it is the waterproofing, GPS and screen brightness are the main differences between the two.

Oh, it also seems that the Series 2 gets a charger plug (the nice folding one) while the Series 1 doesn't get anything...wtf??

I thought both the updated series 1 and 2 were listed as having the new S2 chip though.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I thought both the updated series 1 and 2 were listed as having the new S2 chip though.

No, the Series 1 is listed as having the S1P chip while Series 2 has the S2 version (which has built-in GPS). Both apparently are clocked at the same speed. I assume the overall speed of the two series will depend if they both have the same amount of RAM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭shuffles03

The Nike version is the first Apple Watch to tempt me. I'm not an avid runner but It's something I'm about to casually get into (for basic fitness) and maybe it's just the Nike marketing but this version seems like it actually has a specific need.

I know all versions do the same thing but the permanent fitness complication etc. stands out. Am I reading it wrong?

Also, does anyone know if one can listen to music out and about without the phone now?

shuffles03 wrote: »

Also, does anyone know if one can listen to music out and about without the phone now?

You could anyway, apparently. Haven't tried it yet, but you can sync 1 playlist up to 2GB and play through BT headphones.

Ok, I tried it. It works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Thought the water resistance feature on the microphone in the new model was pretty cool, the way it retains the water and then spits it back out, would like to see how well it works.

Apple Watches wouldn't tempt me at all but the new Nike edition is very sleek, I like the look of it

Anyone know the chances of picking up a watch in an actual Apple reseller in Ireland on the 16th?

awec wrote: »
    Anyone know the chances of picking up a watch in an actual Apple reseller in Ireland on the 16th?

I looked earlier on this year, and no-one kept stock in-store, as far as I am aware. There was a thread about it a few months ago, a really strange way to do business, IMO.

I think the Nike edition Apple Watch is basically the same as the others, bar the strap and logo printed on the back. Maybe some of the software additions might be exclusive but I'd imagine they'd let you download them on the standard watch. Seems like it's just the actual Nike logo that's changed, a similar band could probably be picked up from a third party, or maybe Apple will sell them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Damien360

I looked earlier on this year, and no-one kept stock in-store, as far as I am aware. There was a thread about it a few months ago, a really strange way to do business, IMO.

This is true in whitewater Newbridge store. They have one display watch that can be removed so at least you can handle it but that's it. No other stock.

Damien360 wrote: »
    This is true in whitewater Newbridge store. They have one display watch that can be removed so at least you can handle it but that's it. No other stock.

Thats more than I found in PC World, Harvey Norman etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Does the new apple watch allow you to listen to music without the need to be carrying your phone in your pocket?

I'm pretty sure you can't do it but could be wrong.

For me this is the deal breaker as I hate doing any exercise with my phone on me.

I've a crappy tom tom watch that has 2gb of storage for music. It's such a great feature.

SK1979 wrote: »
    Does the new apple watch allow you to listen to music without the need to be carrying your phone in your pocket?

For me this is the deal breaker as I hate doing any exercise with my phone on me.

I've a crappy tom tom watch that has 2gb of storage for music. It's such a great feature.

Some one already confirmed that it does including the current model. Now just need a good set of bluetooth earphones that are a great fit.

SK1979 wrote: »

See post #21

• Advertisement

The different colour options annoy me. Why can't I just pick a watch colour and a strap colour rather than their preconfigured ones. Either I don't like the strap or I don't like the watch on most of the reasonably priced ones :(

Advertisement