Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Watch (Series 2) - September 16th Release

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Must not be to many people upgrading to series 2 ...second hand ones are scarce enough on adverts and DoneDeal or people are selling them at retail prices...for those upgrading when are new series Watch being delivered and would I be better waiting till then to try and find a series one sport 42mm?

harr wrote: »
    Must not be to many people upgrading to series 2 ...second hand ones are scarce enough on adverts and DoneDeal or people are selling them at retail prices...for those upgrading when are new series Watch being delivered and would I be better waiting till then to try and find a series one sport 42mm?
    I see ibood have the 42mm original (refurbished) for 249 or the 38mm for 229 with full warranty ...I have purchased refurbished stuff from ibood before and never had an issue...hopefully this remains the case...

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

Does anybody know if the Series 2 Watch is on sale in any bricks n mortar shops today? Rang CompuB and they've no stock today.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

La Haine wrote: »
    Does anybody know if the Series 2 Watch is on sale in any bricks n mortar shops today? Rang CompuB and they've no stock today.

Up to now, no B&m stores stocked watches. I tried HN, Currys and CompuB and none keep stock. I have seen someone say since that CompuB or iConnect may have them in certain stores?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

La Haine wrote: »

I was in iConnect Henry St the other day and was told they will have the watch but they wil be only getting 5 watches in total on launch day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I see that PCWorld.co.uk have £70 off the original Apple Watch making it £229 (c. €275) for the 42mm and £189 (c. €225) for the 38mm. A great price for those wanting a watch at the cheapest possible price point.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

My watch just arrived, it's smaller than I expected.

awec wrote: »
    My watch just arrived, it's smaller than I expected.
    What size ?

What size ?

38mm. It's grand actually, I wanted it to look like a watch more than a bit of tech on my wrist.

it's just neater than I thought it would be! :)

38mm. It's grand actually, I wanted it to look like a watch more than a bit of tech on my wrist.

it's just neater than I thought it would be! :)

Seriously? the new watch? I've expected Apple delivery date Oct 4th!

:"O(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Did you get a series 2 watch today? Mine isn't due for delivery til October :( 42mm though.

Yea, ordered it at 9am last Friday morning. Space grey with black strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Yea, ordered it at 9am last Friday morning. Space grey with black strap.

review please :)
    I'm mad to buy one.

Blazer wrote: »
    review please :)
    I'm mad to buy one.

It's good, I'd say 8/10. Useful to get notifications on your wrist and the health and fitness stuff is pretty good.

What stops it being 10/10?

1. No WhatsApp watch app. This is pretty annoying. iMessage / SMS is just so far behind the curve that I don't know a single person that actually uses it. The best you can do with whatsapp on the phone is mirror your phone notifications, but it's not great. It also means you have to enable the message previews on the app if you want to read the messages on the watch, but this also means your whatsapp messages are previewed on your phone on the lock screen.

2. Lack of apps in general. Still hasn't really taken off for developers. I think a lot of developers just haven't figured out interesting uses for it yet.

Overall I'm very happy though I can see why it hasn't been a big success yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Normally update my phone every 2 years and this is the first time I haven't, wasn't impressed enough with the 7 so decided to order the watch this year instead. Ordered a series 2 42mm space grey watch, expected 19th oct to 2nd nov, wish id ordered a bit earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I'm on the fence about the new Watch. I do a lot of running and I was interested to see what the update would be, but at nearly 500 I think it's just too expensive for what it does.

I'm considering the Series 1 model, 42mm is roughly 350 from the UK site with 4 for Parcel Motel. Thinking of going that route instead, I don't think the 100 extra for GPS is worth it, the other extras wouldn't be that useful to me either.

Plenty of stock of the Series 1 too, ships in 1 day from the site.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I'm on the fence about the new Watch. I do a lot of running and I was interested to see what the update would be, but at nearly 500 I think it's just too expensive for what it does.

I'm considering the Series 1 model, 42mm is roughly 350 from the UK site with 4 for Parcel Motel. Thinking of going that route instead, I don't think the 100 extra for GPS is worth it, the other extras wouldn't be that useful to me either.

I got to compare the series 2 and original watch (not series 1) the original had Watch os3 installed and I could not justify the price difference between the two...I don't run so gps does not bother me..I used both during a spin class and both did the same job..I picked up a refurbished original for 250.

I got to compare the series 2 and original watch (not series 1) the original had Watch os3 installed and I could not justify the price difference between the two...I don't run so gps does not bother me..I used both during a spin class and both did the same job..I picked up a refurbished original for 250.

Yeah, the original is on Amazon brand new for 270 at the moment. It's very tempting. But the speed increase on the new one is nice too.

What size watch did most people go for? 38mm seemed very small.

Yeah, the original is on Amazon brand new for 270 at the moment. It's very tempting. But the speed increase on the new one is nice too.

What size watch did most people go for? 38mm seemed very small.
    Definitely could tell the speed difference between them....not a huge difference but a difference all the same..I was going to go for the 38mm which looks like a normal sized Watch but I just think it's two small for a smart watch...
    Another advantage in getting the new series would be screen resolution....not sure exactly tech wise the difference but the series two screen is better especially when viewing outdoors..

Yeah the new brighter screen supposedly makes a bit of a difference. I'm leaning towards a 42mm Series 1. 350 seems like a decent enough price.

The small differences like the screen and included plug, and the GPS probably wouldn't make a difference to me.

• Advertisement

Yeah the new brighter screen supposedly makes a bit of a difference. I'm leaning towards a 42mm Series 1. 350 seems like a decent enough price.

The small differences like the screen and included plug, and the GPS probably wouldn't make a difference to me.
    Definitely go for the series 1 so...no point in splashing out the extra €100 for GPS when it wouldn't be used...if I use the Watch and like it...i probably will splash out on a series 1 in a few months but I want to make sure a smart watch is for me first.

Great thing about buying Apple devices is the endless number of accessories from third parties. So many stands and replacement bands available for relatively inexpensive prices for the Apple Watch.

Just ordered the 42mm space grey Series 1. Went through the UK site for the first time, worked out at roughly 350 so a decent price. Delivers Thursday so should have it Friday from Parcel Wizard.

Just got notification that mine will be delivered on 29/9

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

Me 2 LaHaine

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Appleguy

Anybody see any deals on the old one 42mm black?. PCworld UK had it for £229 but I missed them. Argos UK has em for £249 but won't ship to parcel motel. John Lewis out of stock.

Any help appreciated. I'd buy a series 1 but don't want to out of principal as they've removed the bloody charger. I'm not paying €379 for something and not being able to charge it.

Appleguy wrote: »
    Anybody see any deals on the old one 42mm black?. PCworld UK had it for 229 but I missed them. Argos UK has em for 249 but won't ship to parcel motel. John Lewis out of stock.

Any help appreciated. I'd buy a series 1 but don't want to out of principal as they've removed the bloody charger. I'm not paying 379 for something and not being able to charge it.

Afaik the plug is actually an addition to the Series 2 model. Before that they all came with just a charging cable. So they really haven't removed anything this time around, just bundled in a plug in with the more expensive model.

I was in a similar situation as yourself, for what it did I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money for what I'd basically an accessory. I eventually ordered one of the newer Series 1 models from Apple UK with Parcel wizard. Cost me a little over 350 euro for the 42mm model.

I originally considered the original Apple Watch as I'd seen it in Amazon for 229 pound but just paid the extra for the increased speed boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I'm also in the same position - wanting a new watch but not sure if the niceness of having it waterproof is worth the price of the series 2, while seeing some good offers on the original, but worried in the next WatchOS it'll be too slow... Maybe the newer series 1 is the answer and lump not being able to swim with it, for the rare times I bother to go swimming.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Appleguy wrote: »
    Anybody see any deals on the old one 42mm black?. PCworld UK had it for £229 but I missed them. Argos UK has em for £249 but won't ship to parcel motel. John Lewis out of stock.

Any help appreciated. I'd buy a series 1 but don't want to out of principal as they've removed the bloody charger. I'm not paying €379 for something and not being able to charge it.

Wasn't a plug in the original, just the charger cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I thought there was the new Apple foldable plug in the original. In any event the cable is included in the series 1 and you can use your iPhone or iPad charger instead.

Advertisement