Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Watch (Series 2) - September 16th Release

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

harr wrote: »
    No difference just the size from one corner to the other ...I was conflicted on what size to go for as I have fairly thin wrists but so glad I went with the 42 mm as I think the 32 would have been just to small for what I use the Watch for..
    Yes strap and charger in box...strap will depend on what version you buy.
    I would suggest going to a shop and try on both sizes to suit which suit...

Thanks. It's actually for a surprise gift so I can't try it on myself :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Got an email today saying my Nike+ watch will be delivered on 28 October.

I'm getting that one myself did you order off Apple Irish site ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'm getting that one myself did you order off Apple Irish site ?

Yeah. I ordered on the release day so might be near the top of the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

What's the actual difference between the 38mm and 42mm? Like obviously its a size different, but in what sense?
    And if you buy one new, it comes with a strap and that all in the box right?
    Size. That's it. And yes, you do get a dtrap and the usb cable to charge it.
    As for my issue with power drain it is solved. It was a fitness app :)

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The size is measured lengthways by the way, it's not measured diagonally across the face of the watch like you would measure a TV.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    The size is measured lengthways by the way, it's not measured diagonally across the face of the watch like you would measure a TV.
    Interesting! Classic Apple being different..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

What's the actual difference between the 38mm and 42mm? Like obviously its a size different, but in what sense?
    And if you buy one new, it comes with a strap and that all in the box right?
    Size. That's it. And yes, you do get a dtrap and the usb cable to charge it.
    As for my issue with power drain it is solved. It was a fitness app :)

Out of curiousity was it runtastic? I woke up a few days ago and my iPhone battery had dropped 40% overnight compared to most where it doesn't change at all.

Checked battery stats and seen runtastic had used 35% of my battery using background activities in 24hours. Restarted the phone and it's been fine since but it was a strange one.

Endomondo, it's fine on it's own but it pillages both the phone and watch batteries when it is installed on the watch. I actually removed almost all apps off the watch that I can.

The Irish Times just gave the series 2 a meh review...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Billydoc

Just bought the Apple Watch online from fifth avenue shop in ny for store pickup (aunt going there this weekend). Series 2 42mm cocoa strap, yellow gold frame!€405 big ones. Never had one before..... better be worth it! Anybody recommend accessories for it or other straps and best place to buy them? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The Irish Times just gave the series 2 a meh review...

Didn't find it a bad review at all. 4 stars out of 5 and recommended as the place to start in smartwatches.

Impression I got is that the journalist is just not that much into watches and its capabilities.

Good point.

Something I wish they would sort is to have the watch inside the wrist.. I have mine 5 weeks and it's face is already scratched a fair bit. I've never worn a watch with it's face out. I appreciate there are some reasons for it facing out, but I'd prefer it on the inside.

I've had mine about 3 weeks now and am liking it for the most part. The watch battery itself is great (down to about 60% when I'm going to bed) but I have found the battery on the phone is draining a lot quicker than before. I read online to close the actual watch app on the phone but that made feck all difference.

I got the Nike+ version and on a couple of occasions the pause button in that app was accidentally activated by my sleeve or something but I only notice when I get to the end of the run so my full run wasn't recorded. I presume there's a lock I can use but the funny thing is sometimes when I actually go to pause or finish the run and my finger is sweaty it takes a few tries and a few seconds for the pause/finish to be recognised.

So when I don't want it to pause it does and when I do want it to pause it doesn't.

One other small issue is that when I use the Nike app on the phone, my elevation gain is recorded but my heart rate isn't. But when I use the watch app, the heart rate is but the elevation gain isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Went around today and seems they are sold out in all the local stores if I order it off apple.ie tomorrow do ye think it'd arrive before christmas?

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Went around today and seems they are sold out in all the local stores if I order it off apple.ie tomorrow do ye think it'd arrive before christmas?

Yeah I'd say you'd have it by the end of next week. These aren't as in demand as the iPhone for example. Should pick one up easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

DubDJ wrote: »
    Yeah I'd say you'd have it by the end of next week. These aren't as in demand as the iPhone for example. Should pick one up easy enough.

Thanks will try ordering it off apples website so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Maddie22

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Thanks will try ordering it off apples website so :)
    I ordered a series 2 42 mm on 13th and got an estimated delivery of Dec 7-13 ships in 2-3 weeks. It's as long a wait as it was for my iPhone 7plus

My mistake, I clicked on the Watches but it must of been the Series 1 showing. Didn't think supplies of the Series 2 was so bad.

You will still definitely get it before Christmas if you order this week. Apple estimates are spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

Has anyone ever seen sales on apple for black friday? Do they give any discount at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

mel123 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever seen sales on apple for black friday? Do they give any discount at all?

Only a bit, and not on many products I think.

• Advertisement

Usually laptops and iPads only I think. I remember the iPads were 40 Euro off or thereabouts. Nothing major. You probably won't get an iPhone or Watch discount.

Just went for a run using the Nike+ app on the phone and the Workouts app on the watch. The phone GPS had it at 9.55km whereas the watch GPS had it at only 9.25.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Just went for a run using the Nike+ app on the phone and the Workouts app on the watch. The phone GPS had it at 9.55km whereas the watch GPS had it at only 9.25.

Does Nike+ use the built-in Heath app's steps/distance tracking data? Because I'm pretty sure iOS 10 broke its accuracy. I walk the same distance every weekend but after iOS 10 it reports a few km less.

Does Nike+ use the built-in Heath app's steps/distance tracking data? Because I'm pretty sure iOS 10 broke its accuracy. I walk the same distance every weekend but after iOS 10 it reports a few km less.

I don't know how it works to be honest but steps shouldn't be in the equation if it's using GPS? I never look in the health app so don't know what's going on in there.

I'll try using the Nike+ app on both the phone and the watch on my next run and see if they match.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

What would this be like for my gf who has an android phone? She's not very tech savvy so I doubt she'll care that the bells and whistles don't work very well. But I'm sure she will like that it's one of the Nicest looking watches...

I'd love to get the Huawei but it's Fecking massive!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

What would this be like for my gf who has an android phone? She's not very tech savvy so I doubt she'll care that the bells and whistles don't work very well. But I'm sure she will like that it's one of the Nicest looking watches...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

newwan wrote: »

Apple Watch doesn't work with Android. iPhone only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I'm looking to get an Apple Watch Series 2 for my wife for Christmas. In passing, she pointed out that the Saddle Brown Classic Buckle was nice (timeless).

Looking at Apple's website, it comes with the Stainless Steel version (over €800 for the 42mm size).

What are people's thoughts on the different Apple Watch variants?

I was thinking that the Rose Gold Aluminium with Sport Band coupled with the Saddle Brown Classic Buckle strap would be a lot nicer (also cheaper).

Is it best to pay the extra for Stainless Steel or stick with Aluminium?

Rose Gold w/ Saddle Brown strap:
    http://assets.hardwarezone.com/img/2015/11/watch-sport-rosegold-12.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Aluminium is grand, still looks great after a year. Worth checking as well if the 38mm might be better as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

She tried on a 38mm and preferred a bigger screen. What do you think of the rose gold aluminium w/ saddle brown combo?

Any thoughts from anyone that owns the Stainless Steel version? Worth the extra little bit?

Advertisement