Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Watch (Series 2) - September 16th Release

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

whatever you do..get applecare..its a must with the watches..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Blazer wrote: »
    whatever you do..get applecare..its a must with the watches..

€130 euro for a replacement.. (65 for AppleCare and 65 excess) will it add that much value to resale? Might be worth it on the higher price models but not sure about the entry models...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Is anybody using this for fitness.

I run, and presently use my phone. In the market for a GPS watch. Was always going to go Garmin but is the Apple watch a series contender?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

murpho999 wrote: »

I run, and presently use my phone. In the market for a GPS watch. Was always going to go Garmin but is the Apple watch a series contender?

Yeah I picked up the Series 1 (non-GPS version) and use it for running. I just run to keep active and fit so I'm not sure about comparing it to some of the pro products but it's definitely handy. I bring my phone with me so I went with the standard Watch without GPS.

It's handier being able to glance at your wrist for stats and the likes. If you like tech and use an iPhone it doubles as a smart watch and fitness watch which is why I went for it. Best of both worlds rather than using a dedicated watch for fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Just placed an order for a Series 2, SS, Saddle Brown strap. Quick question: Apple is saying 7-10 business days for dispatch bu the estimated delivery date is Dec 22-30. Can't risk that date. Are they usually accurate? Should I cancel and try elsewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

murpho999 wrote: »

I have the Nike+ version and have used both their app and the Apple fitness app. The one gripe I have with both is that after a run when my finger is sweaty it can be hard for the pause/end run to be activated. Sometimes it takes a few presses.

As I mentioned a few posts back the GPS gives me different distances to that on the phone but I haven't looked further into testing which one is more accurate.

Cancelled my order from Apple. They said they're delivery dates are pretty accurate so couldn't take the chance of not receiving it before Christmas.

Anyone know where I can get a 42MM SS Brown Leather version in Dublin? I rang CompuB and they don't have any watches in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Cancelled my order from Apple. They said they're delivery dates are pretty accurate so couldn't take the chance of not receiving it before Christmas.

Anyone know where I can get a 42MM SS Brown Leather version in Dublin? I rang CompuB and they don't have any watches in stock.

I placed an order for a watch on 23/11. Said estimated arrival was 13-16.
    It was dispatched 01/01 with an estimated delivery date of the 12th.
    Doesnt help much, but if i were you id reorder and hope for the best, but keep looking around in the mean while (you can always send it back). I imagine the watches are not in Ireland (im guessing) and thats why shipping is taking so long because i ordered an ipad on Monday and i had it Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Just placed an order for a Series 2, SS, Saddle Brown strap. Quick question: Apple is saying 7-10 business days for dispatch bu the estimated delivery date is Dec 22-30. Can't risk that date. Are they usually accurate? Should I cancel and try elsewhere?

Apple estimates are one of the most accurate you'll find. The date range they give you is always worse case scenario though. If it's a long wait it most likely will arrive earlier than the quote they give. I'd definitely re-order and keep your eye on it, they could ship it earlier than the later date but even if they don't just keep the order open until you can find a better option. They won't charge you till it ships, plus if you do end up with two of them it's really hassle-free to return it.

Cheers Lads! I'll reorder now. When I was cancelling earlier, the C.S. girl said they had only put a holding of €1 on my card (which would be refunded in 48 hours).

I'll keep everyone posted on shipping estimates of the order. It can act as a guideline for anyone else in a similar situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I ordered a 42mm space gray series 2 from John Lewis. Picking it up tomorrow from my local Waitrose. I guess living in the U.K. has its benefits. Alrhough it's getting wrapped up and put under the Christmas tree but at least I'll have it to open on Christmas day.

Picked mine up on Saturday. Glad I ordered it now as John Lewis have sold out on the 42mm space gray one. I did have a sneaky peek and paired it up with my phone. Have to say it's a real nice piece of kid. Looking forward to be able to use it properly come christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

TinCool wrote: »
    Picked mine up on Saturday. Glad I ordered it now as John Lewis have sold out on the 42mm space gray one. I did have a sneaky peek and paired it up with my phone. Have to say it's a real nice piece of kid. Looking forward to be able to use it properly come christmas.

Ha!! I've more willpower!! Bought one back in October in the UK when the sterling rate was excellent (a Christmas present from the missus to me) and I didn't even look at the outside of the box; put it straight in the bag and haven't seen it since. So it will be fresh on Christmas morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Is there any good cases out there that I can store the watch in and charge it overnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Is there any good cases out there that I can store the watch in and charge it overnight?

I use this, it suits me a lot cause I travel a lot. I put a small power brick in it and lasts me a week of watch charges so I don't bring a gigantic UK/IE plug with me.

https://www.twelvesouth.com/product/timeporter

tallpaul wrote: »
    Ha!! I've more willpower!! Bought one back in October in the UK when the sterling rate was excellent (a Christmas present from the missus to me) and I didn't even look at the outside of the box; put it straight in the bag and haven't seen it since. So it will be fresh on Christmas morning!!

Good man. I couldn't resist. A good excuse to get a dock now for the iphone/watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Any good quality non apple 3rd party straps available for the series 1? I have a silver and am looking for a milanese loop. I'm now wondering should I have gotten the space grey instead of the aluminum silver (box is unopened so I can change). Anyone have experience of matching bands to either and whats the best combo?

In advance of using mine, I have bought a couple of Moko straps on Amazon including their midnight blue sports strap (£6) and space grey milanese loop (£10).

In addition I purchased a couple of strap adapters/lugs off Aliexpress (€4) and bought a Fossil tan leather strap (£19). Paired the two and I am very pleased with the result. So for less than €50 I have three straps as well as the Apple black sports strap that comes with the watch.

tallpaul wrote: »
    In advance of using mine, I have bought a couple of Moko straps on Amazon including their midnight blue sports strap (£6) and space grey milanese loop (£10).

In addition I purchased a couple of strap adapters/lugs off Aliexpress (€4) and bought a Fossil tan leather strap (£19). Paired the two and I am very pleased with the result. So for less than €50 I have three straps as well as the Apple black sports strap that comes with the watch.

Can you post a link to the Amazon straps please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

xabi wrote: »
    Can you post a link to the Amazon straps please?
    +1 please

• Advertisement

Moko Sports band is now £8. Still great value compared to the official one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B010LFI53C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They also don't seem to have the Space Grey version anymore but I'm not sure there is much difference in colour with the black one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EHSMFQM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

For the Fossil strap, its simply a matter of taking out the proprietary connector and inserting your own watch adapter.

https://www.fossil.com/uk/en/watches/mens-watches/watch-straps.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watch-Band-Strap-Connection-Adapter-Silver-Black-for-Apple-Watch-iwatch-38-42mm-/322112821721?var=&hash=item4aff6b99d9:m:mjIFIRpONA4o-A3YCJ38imQ

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There are loads of apple watch straps on etsy too.

The official Apple ones are very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Hi guys, looking to pick up Apple Watch series 2 in space grey 42mm for the bro in law from herself but having no luck getting it anywhere, Apple won't deliver till after Xmas rendering my sisters 17% discount useless, is there anywhere anyone knows of that has stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

awec wrote: »
    There are loads of apple watch straps on etsy too.

The official Apple ones are very expensive.

Etsy straps are pretty expensive too for non-genuine in fairness. Some lovely stuff though. I'm happy with the black milanese loop from our Amazonian friends. 12€.

I'm getting WhatsApp notifications on my watch and can reply to them, I don't have an icon for WhatsApp on the watch though. Am I missing something?

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

xabi wrote: »
    I'm getting WhatsApp notifications on my watch and can reply to them, I don't have an icon for WhatsApp on the watch though. Am I missing something?
    No, because there is no watch app for whatsapp.

All you can do is mirror notifications on the watch, you can only read the message if you turn on the message previews in whatsapp which means that message content is actually shown on your lock screen.

You can't browse your messages or send a new message to someone, or start a new conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

latest beta for watch just made available to devs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Was in Dixons Heathrow yesterday ... £279 for a 42mm Series 1

Had one on display you could have a play with (unlike Apples stores)

Was very tempted and impressed ..... But gonna wait until Apple Pay is available here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Have a strange issue with mine, under bright lights i can see 4 lines under the lcd screen, It looks like they are the touchscreen assembly but are they meant to be visable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Probably a stupid question but is the series 2 waterproof all the time or does it have to be in a swim workout/mode?

I saw that they don't recommend wearing it in the shower as soap etc can interfere with the waterproofing, is this true?

Advertisement