Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writing letters

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I still write the 'ould Christmas cards, and the envelope. More recently my friends are using a database to print out the Christmas labels. I did consider following suit but decided against. When a handwritten card arrives, I know before I open it who it is from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Was clearing out some old boxes of attic junk recently and I came across a letter.

It was written over 20 years ago by a man who was in charge of maintenance at a monastary, he had called the company I was in with an electrical problem and I described over the phone how he could easily fix it himself (by following some detailed and complex instructions I gave him).

It was a heartfelt and detailed 2 page account of how he was so grateful for the help and what he did to fix his problem and that a month had passed and everything was still working. He even enclosed a 20 punt note as a thanks and a caveat that I could either have a few pints with it or invest it wisely as was my choice.

What a lovely man.

Nowadays you just google the answer or post on boards and give no heed to those that help you bar a virtual thanks. Not saying that's wrong, just that I think we've lost an aspect of community interaction since the days we would write a personal note and send it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Steve wrote: »
    Was clearing out some old boxes of attic junk recently and I came across a letter.

It was written over 20 years ago by a man who was in charge of maintenance at a monastary, he had called the company I was in with an electrical problem and I described over the phone how he could easily fix it himself (by following some detailed and complex instructions I gave him).

It was a heartfelt and detailed 2 page account of how he was so grateful for the help and what he did to fix his problem and that a month had passed and everything was still working. He even enclosed a 20 punt note as a thanks and a caveat that I could either have a few pints with it or invest it wisely as was my choice.

What a lovely man.

Nowadays you just google the answer or post on boards and give no heed to those that help you bar a virtual thanks. Not saying that's wrong, just that I think we've lost an aspect of community interaction since the days we would write a personal note and send it. :)

Nice one. This makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :) So what did you do with the 20 quid then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

I probably didn't invest it wisely :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Nice one. This makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :) So what did you do with the 20 quid then?

Wine, women and song..... the rest was just wasted?
    :D:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement