Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the worse video game generation ever?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I can't wait to move home to limerick from New Zealand next year and build myself a Savage gaming PC. No more paying 110 dollars for a game..

But sites like G2Play etc, and STEAM Sales, you can get games for dirt cheap.
    I've never heard of 110 for a game.
    Unless you're talking about brand new for an XBox One or PS4 or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Average ps4 or xbox one game here in New Zealand is between 80 to 110 bucks. Plus a console is about 500 to 600.

Build the PC while you're there ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Build the PC while you're there ?

Not the thread for it but hardware is ludacris in Australia and NZ.

Links Sleeping Dogs is class, get on that ****.

I play a healthy mix of whatever looks cool and Xcom, and buy bundles just because they're cheap. I find its a nice way of uncovering gems, works for me anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I know, I have it!
    Actually, it's my second time around, having foolishly sold it the first time, big eejit that I am.
    Won't play on a modded Xbox though, you'll need a switched mod to run it.

There are windows drivers too, for Hawken & Mech Warrior Online etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I wouldn't say this is the worst console generation ever... certainly not. As others have said some really great games have been released. But honestly, I would say previous generations were better. I know it's still early days but this generation is .... missing something it feels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think this generation of consoles has been a letdown. I'm a big PC gamer but my Xbox 360 got serious use over the years - my XB1 rarely gets turned on. I keep thinking 'ah, it'll pick up', and then I remember that this gen's been out for three years!

They're also totally underpowered, when the Xbox 360 came out, relative to gaming PC's at the time it was an amazing piece of performance technology and a titanic leap over the original Xbox. The XB1 and PS4 limp along at medicore levels, and 3 years into their life cycle Sony are releasing a beefed up PS4, while Microsoft is releasing a radically overhauled console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I would be the same this gen is very meh so far.

Any game that I have really enjoyed has been remaster of a 360 or PS 3 game there has been very few games that I have liked and wonted to play longer then a few hours.

Uncaarted 4 to me has been the best Ps4 game to play this gen for the story but game play wise rise of the tomb raider is better way better but it's story was meh I said before if they mixed both games into one it would be a 10 out of 10 for me.

Bloodborne I played it don't get the hype for it such a boring game. No man's sky all the hype it got ha ha that's all I can say I played for 3 hours and traded it in going that is what you call a 60 euro game in this day and age?.

Haveing said that wolfstain the new order and the old blood are FPS going back to the old school routes to what they should be over the top story and loads of killing and does it perfect in my eyes.

Forza horzan is what a racer should be just fun and will keep going as it's fun.

But watch dogs any of the ass creed have been a joke sadly but are so meh and boring.

To me video game wise 2007 was the best year for video games there was to many perfect games that year and I hope some day we get back to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

2007 was a fine year in gaming...
    I think a lot of games are becoming cookie cutters at the moment. Like how many open world games is there now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

2007 and 2008 were good by last gen standards but a lot of those so called 'classics' that came out that year were meh in comparison to what was on pervious gen. If they had come out then I'd probably have put them on the back burner while I played the far better games. Compares to some of the truly great years in gaming it doesn't stack up. The truly great consoles in those two years were the DS and PSP.

1993 was a phenomenal year for the Megadrive while 1994 was an absolute cracker of a year for both the megadrive and SNES, particularly the SNES which had a line up of games that finally help it pull away from the NES. The PC was also chock full of classic games thanks to Doom exploding that market.

1997 and 1998 was amazing as well. The N64 got a handful of games, not many but the best of them were fantastic, groundbreaking or both. On the other hand you had the big companies finally getting their heads around 3D gaming on the PS1 and churning out confident great games finally some of which could be counted as the greatest ever made. The Saturn was in it's death throes but you had Sega at it's creative peak which would be carried over to the dreamcast and some of the best games of that generation coming to that dying console. PC gaming was also at it's strongest until recently in my opinion.

2003 and 2004 was stellar years for the PS2/NGC/XBOX era, so many good games came out then that many truly brilliant games just couldn't find an audience with so many amazing titles to choose from (i.e. Psychonauts, PoP Sands of Time, Beyond Good and Evil etc.).

I don't think last gen had anything that could hold a candle to those years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Ive plenty to play between PC and PS4 so couldnt say i feel were currently in any sort of slump.

Rose tinted glasses about the past in some cases i reckon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Maybe we are ignoring the indie scene in all of this.
    Titles like Firewatch and Soma to name two have no real peer in previous generations.
    We look at previous generations at their peak and see plenty of AAA goodness and rightly so, but we ignore the vast mass of dross that continued to emerge on all formats, even at the best of times.
    AAA titles of note seem few and far between, but the indie scene seems to be a touch stone for creative teams, smaller and more driven by vision than the need to copy others, though that still exists, and here we see the same drive as in the different golden ages of development for older consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am pretty sure this thread just suffers a lot from rose tinted glasses. Variety is massive these days. To the point where average gamer just can't physically enjoy all the games out in recent years. I have so many games bought that I haven't touched and even more in wish list. All those games I want to play, but due to many reasons I just can't.
    It's generation had good games and bad games, as o said already, this generation is not special in that regard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The horrific thing is that there is a whole gaming generation for whom the PS4/XB1 will be their first console, and everything else will be ancient history.
    Poor b@stards.
    And, with enough time, they'll have nostalgic rose tinted memories of that time they got Dishonored 2 for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

As far as I'm concerned there's always been a regular stream of quality games. My first console was the Sega Master System, which my parents bought for me almost a quarter of a century ago. Since then there's been more good games than I can keep up with.

There are certain aspects of modern game design that simply aren't for me, but that's even more of a reason to dig for those titles that have what I'm looking for. Generations don't mean anything to me. There's good games and bad games. 'Twas ever thus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The horrific thing is that there is a whole gaming generation for whom the PS4/XB1 will be their first console, and everything else will be ancient history.
    Poor b@stards.

don't worry, Golden Axe is still playable on XB1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Everything went downhill after The Revenge of Shinobi.

A list of games ive played over the last year and enjoyed to varying degrees:

GTA V
    No Mans Sky
    Warframe
    ARMA Series
    Empyrion Galactic Survival
    PES 2016
    Witcher 2
    Skyrim
    The Division
    Destiny
    Rocket League
    Ark Survival Evolved
    Battlefield 4
    Bloodborne

Games ive bought in that time but not got around to giving a proper chance:

Fallout 4
    Witcher 3
    Space Engineers
    The Last of Us
    Mad Max
    Heroes and Generals
    Stellaris
    Rust
    Wolenstein
    Shadow of Mordor

These two list are just off the top of my head,dont think ill be short of anything to play for awhile. To me there are enough games im interested in to think were in a period where games have never been so abundent. Yes theres lots of dross,more than ever,but there are quality enjoyable games out there too. Maybe some people are a bit jaded,but i dont think theres an inherant problem.

Just my 2 cents for what its worth..

• Advertisement

don't worry, Golden Axe is still playable on XB1

You
    Take
    That
    Back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

EoinHef wrote: »
    A list of games ive played over the last year and enjoyed to varying degrees:

GTA V
    No Mans Sky
    Warframe
    ARMA Series
    Empyrion Galactic Survival
    PES 2016
    Witcher 2
    Skyrim
    The Division
    Destiny
    Rocket League
    Ark Survival Evolved
    Battlefield 4
    Bloodborne

Games ive bought in that time but not got around to giving a proper chance:

Fallout 4
    Witcher 3
    Space Engineers
    The Last of Us
    Mad Max
    Heroes and Generals
    Stellaris
    Rust
    Wolenstein
    Shadow of Mordor

These two list are just off the top of my head,dont think ill be short of anything to play for awhile. To me there are enough games im interested in to think were in a period where games have never been so abundent. Yes theres lots of dross,more than ever,but there are quality enjoyable games out there too. Maybe some people are a bit jaded,but i dont think theres an inherant problem.

Just my 2 cents for what its worth..
    How many current gen consoles do you own?

It's not over yet but not a great start compared to gen 7. Gen 8 is just getting a refresh, I feel the real gen 8 is only starting from now with 4k gaming becoming more mainstream.

4k means jack sh1t in terms of game quality.
    Fancy graphics may make a turd look polished but it is still a turd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

exactly! id take bigger more detailed worlds/ways to interact with said worlds, more complex ai and game systems than 4k anyday! and i game at 4k on my pc.

back in ps1 ps2 days the step up in graphics in each generation was more than just making things looking pretty, it was the first steps in making complex 3d games playable and how that completely changed the game!
    moving to 360 ps3 was the generation that brought online gaming to the forefront.
    What has the new generation really brought? Ive a ps4 that hasnt been used for games in 6 months :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

While it's true that fancy graphics don't make a game, when you take an already solid game like Fallout 4, Doom, Battlefield 1, Witcher 3, Far Cry 4, and even older titles, if you have a decent enough PC to play them in 4K, they are simply mind blowing.

Dismissing 4K as some sort of 'fad' is pretty mindless to be honest. Yes, it's a minority pursuit right now, but it IS available and it's beyond incredible.

764dak wrote: »
    How many current gen consoles do you own?

1,a PS4.

Also have a PC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Me and friends said this recently there is no new original games coming out my ps4 is just gathering dust. Wed all rather die than buy a a recent call of duty with people running up and through walls whats happened that franchise?
    I mite buy fifa 17 ill see but im aick of that too.

Last games i enjoyed:

Last of us
    Payday 2
    Tomb raider
    And all them were remastered for ps4.

Anyone got any games like the 3 above i mite enjoy?
    Thanks

The Last Guardian is on the way.
    Dishonored 2 is supposed to be fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It's probably my least favorite generation as well but I'm not sure if it's cause I have other commitments now. PS3 generation I was in college, ps2 and PS1 school and so on.

I've pre ordered virtual reality, I know it might be a fad but at least it might bring something innovative technology wise we haven't seen yet with consoles

• Advertisement

While it's true that fancy graphics don't make a game, when you take an already solid game like Fallout 4, Doom, Battlefield 1, Witcher 3, Far Cry 4, and even older titles, if you have a decent enough PC to play them in 4K, they are simply mind blowing.

Dismissing 4K as some sort of 'fad' is pretty mindless to be honest. Yes, it's a minority pursuit right now, but it IS available and it's beyond incredible.

I'm not dismissing it at all and it's no fad, it's a natural progression but it is not something that "makes" a game.
    Story, gameplay, in game physics, AI, writing, level design etc all rank higher than 4k.
    I don't want a game to look crap but if it's a trade off between the above and super dooper graphics/textures? I know what I would prefer

Advertisement