Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting to UCC?

Options
  • 07-09-2016 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be commuting to UCC from east Limerick and looking for advice/ideas. I'm starting at 9 so the train isn't an option and don't fancy the drive into Limerick cit to get the bus. Parking at the college is pretty much non-existent so I'm thinking of the park and ride at Black Ash or Togher.

Is this my best option? What time should I aim to be there to be in college for 9? Also, these places seem to close early so are there any parking alternatives if a late night in the library is on the cards?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Folding bike and park on the Lee road/Environmental research institute. Probably only a 15/20 minute walk anyway. No parking costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

The college have a carpark away from campus with buses going to the campus. It's on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭pigtown

What time would I want to be hitting the tunnel at to be sure of getting a parking space at the UCC park and ride and also making it to the college on time?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭rob316

pigtown wrote: »
    I'm going to be commuting to UCC from east Limerick and looking for advice/ideas. I'm starting at 9 so the train isn't an option and don't fancy the drive into Limerick cit to get the bus. Parking at the college is pretty much non-existent so I'm thinking of the park and ride at Black Ash or Togher.

Is this my best option? What time should I aim to be there to be in college for 9? Also, these places seem to close early so are there any parking alternatives if a late night in the library is on the cards?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

This might be an option for you I don't know is it in your budget though but
    I'm working in the area and I park in the St Finbarrs Multi-Storey, I pay €270 every quarter, on a 5 day working week its works out about €4 per day and I can come and go whenever I want.

Its fairly good value and I'm sure if you present a student ID card there you can avail of cheap parking anyway. In terms of the location to UCC its a 5 minute walk to the college gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

The Park & Ride is the best job. You can park at Dennehy's Cross, 5 min walk from Campus, for free. Expect this to be full every day by about 8.20 thoughA bus leaves there at 7.55 if your feeling lazy. Pouladuff is larger, and usually you'll get a space before 9 and the busses go every 10 mins at peak straight to Campus. I even resorted to parking around the corner, by CSN, and strolling 2 minutes to the bus. Even if both of these are full, Black Ash has never been filled I'd say. Place is huge so no bother with parking. If your coming from Limerick, come the Mitchelstown route and straight through the Jack Lynch Tunnell. Aim to be through it for 8.15 and you'll be grand. You gonna have to come off the South Link at the Kinsale Road Roundabout for both Pouladuff and Black Ash so be mindfull that it can get very busy in the morning. Mabye someone who regurly uses the road at that time can give a better idea, I used to take a maze of backroads to beat the traffic everyday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

CianDon wrote: »
    The Park & Ride is the best job. You can park at Dennehy's Cross, 5 min walk from Campus, for free. Expect this to be full every day by about 8.20 thoughA bus leaves there at 7.55 if your feeling lazy. Pouladuff is larger, and usually you'll get a space before 9 and the busses go every 10 mins at peak straight to Campus. I even resorted to parking around the corner, by CSN, and strolling 2 minutes to the bus. Even if both of these are full, Black Ash has never been filled I'd say. Place is huge so no bother with parking. If your coming from Limerick, come the Mitchelstown route and straight through the Jack Lynch Tunnell. Aim to be through it for 8.15 and you'll be grand. You gonna have to come off the South Link at the Kinsale Road Roundabout for both Pouladuff and Black Ash so be mindfull that it can get very busy in the morning. Mabye someone who regurly uses the road at that time can give a better idea, I used to take a maze of backroads to beat the traffic everyday!

Bear in mind that the shuttle bus from Black As only starts at 9.25, and not on Fridays.

Thanks Cian, that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.
    CianDon wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I think you're fuccking cracked to be commuting from Limerick, good luck and godspeed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I think you're fuccking cracked to be commuting from Limerick, good luck and godspeed :D

I agree, it'll be close to a 3 hour round trip each day which won't help your studies. It'll be 100/120miles too which in a decent car will still cost well over €50 a week, probably a fair bit more after tyres and servicing costs.
    I'd rather share a box room with someone who's short of a few than put myself thru that commute tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Mallow, Buttevant, Charleville - twice a day everyday I think I'd lose the plot, that road is ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

OP is in East Limerick, so can use the motorway, although the tolls will add up.

Yeah it's not ideal but it's only until I get myself set-up in Cork though

Advertisement