Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modification (lowering springs) vs Insurance.

• 08-09-2016 1:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭

For those who have any experience.

Do most insurer accept a car with lowering springs? If so what kind of premium loading can I expect for that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

How low is low?
    Are they being installed by garage or by yourself ?
    Car type ?
    Are u also upsizing the alloys (if so, from what size to what size) if major big alloys then are brakes upgraded too?

These be the questions asked so not being awkward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

cplwhisper wrote: »
    How low is low?
    Are they being installed by garage or by yourself ?
    Car type ?
    Are u also upsizing the alloys (if so, from what size to what size) if major big alloys then are brakes upgraded too?

These be the questions asked so not being awkward

Car is 09 Civic Diesel.

I was thinking about -25mm Eibach kit. Something like that

Install them myself.

No change in alloys (I have 2 sets anyway - both original honda - 17" for summer, 16" for winter).

-25mm should be accepted once your not moding car more. Depending on your rapour with the insurance company some won't charge for it.
    Seen 20% added before but that because we both know that more mods done to car than declared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Seen 20% added before but that because we both know that more mods done to car than declared

what would happen in the event of a claim, all good because ye preemptively loaded for undeclared mods.... or major headache for the customer, insurance cancelled etc?

You could be asked to complete a modification declaration. Thus you sign to say this is only mod you are doing & supply all round photos of car too then they are accepting the risk in good faith.

If you have claim and car still the same then all good, if u go moding more then ur up the creek .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ask the insurer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

The interesting question is - do they still consider it a "modification" when it's an option that was initially available from the factory on the model? Say if, on my 159, I had the original Alfa "sport pack" installed, which is somewhere around the same -25mm marker; If the car was bought new like that, it's almost certain it would never have been declared - for example it's not like the insurance knows the car, as it was sold by Alfa back in 2006, has 17" wheels and not the standard 16" and so on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    The interesting question is - do they still consider it a "modification" when it's an option that was initially available from the factory on the model? Say if, on my 159, I had the original Alfa "sport pack" installed, which is somewhere around the same -25mm marker; If the car was bought new like that, it's almost certain it would never have been declared - for example it's not like the insurance knows the car, as it was sold by Alfa back in 2006, has 17" wheels and not the standard 16" and so on...

Modifications that insurers are generally concerned with relate to the performance of the vehicle eg adding a turbo.

Lowering the suspension, in my experience, is not something that is a concern however if asked the question about mods one should always answer truthfully and to the best of ones knowledge.

If the work was carried out by dealership and they sign off the work is compliant with the cars design then no issue.
    It's when the work is done 'at home' is when questions are asked

If the work was carried out by dealership and they sign off the work is compliant with the cars design then no issue.
    It's when the work is done 'at home' is when questions are asked

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Modifications that insurers are generally concerned with relate to the performance of the vehicle eg adding a turbo.

Lowering the suspension, in my experience, is not something that is a concern however if asked the question about mods one should always answer truthfully and to the best of ones knowledge.

Lowering the suspension is a performance mod. I reckon.

It'll improve roadholding (possibly at the expense of comfort) and enable a vehicle to corner faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Lowering the suspension is a performance mod. I reckon.

It'll improve roadholding (possibly at the expense of comfort) and enable a vehicle to corner faster.

I reckon that when it is said "performance mods" it means something that will make the car objectively faster or more "dangerous" in a sense (e.g. cut springs or visibility impairing windows/stripes).

Adding a turbo or carrying out an whole engine upgrade with race pistons, camshaft and so on add objective, easily achievable performance to the car. Even the most clueless chump can floor the pedal and make the car go faster than the stock version.

A suspension mod, especially lowering done right, is more subtle. To the average driver the only difference would be a lower COG and maybe a slightly bumpier ride (not necessarily, stuff like the Koni FSD is a wonder of engineering). It would only make a big difference in the hands of somebody able to exploit it.

Yes but fitting updated brakes or a roll cage won't make a car any faster either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Ye are over thinking this massively lads. It's very simple.
    In dnalerI,
    K&N "warm air induction" kit on a NA petrol, quite possibly reducing power, unlikely to be adding power IS a serious modification and must be declared.

Removing/Gutting a DPF, allowing a turbo to spool better and engine to breathe better is NOT a serious modification. Associated ECU meddling to delete DPF checking/regens is NOT a serious mod.

As another poster here heard, petrol remap BAD, diesel remap GRAND GRAND GRAND.

Advertisement