Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about shooting on private land.`

Options
  • 08-09-2016 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I'm currently in the process of getting my first license for a double barrel shotgun that my dad owns and I have just been reading up on firearm laws in Ireland and I have read things about shooting on private land and all of that. My question is though, can I do a small bit of target shooting on my dad's privately owned land which we have over 400 acres if I wanted to? My reason for getting a license is to do some bird control around the farm but just say I felt like doing a small bit of target practice to get acquainted to the gun in a controlled environment with a backstop if I felt like it? I just thought I would clear this one up for myself

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

I wish i had 400acres to be hunting on its been a while since i checked but per se your not allowed to use your gun for shooting targets unless its at a legitimate target practice range which you have you to state at time of licence application, but you have 400 acres so if you want find a safe place away from any houses etc and shoot a few targets for yourself just be safe and be aware of who and whats around you at all times.
    I take it youve done the mandatory gun profecieny course already?
    Have fun just be safe abd considerate of noise pollution dont piss off neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

When you say targets do you mean clays or a sheet of paper stuck to a tree? As far as I know you can set up your own mini clay shooting range the traps are widely available. I know for a rifle you are not supposed to even zero a scope unless it's at an authorised range.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

That's right, clay shooting doesn't need an authorized range - but not all Gardai seem to know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Another point is if your using the shotgun for pest control you are fairly limited to what you can shoot. Why don't you go down the road of getting a .22lr or .17hmr rifle and cover all animals your trying to control. I have a .22lr rifle for pest control on our farm but I know I would have the use for a shotgun to deal with birds etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

DatArcher wrote: »
    My reason for getting a license is to do some bird control around the farm

A shotgun (as you suggested) is ideal for this, I would not use a rifle for this purpose.
    but just say I felt like doing a small bit of target practice to get acquainted to the gun in a controlled environment with a backstop

People normally shoot clays as "target practice" with a shotgun.
    As above you do not have to be on an authorized range to shoot clay pigeons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement