Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas market 2016

Options
  • 08-09-2016 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

Yea yea it's early but the advertiser doesn't think so. Christmas Party Guide in the paper today. So got me wondering, is the market supposed to be going ahead this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Hopefully they won't sacrifice Eyre square in order to make a profit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

The grass!
    The grass!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

going by what they have said if it does go ahead they won't be on the grass but on the tarmac/footh paths.

best place for them is the docks or woodquay and entice local traders....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I thought it was pretty cool when we had the Winter Wonderland with the ice rink and other rides/stalls by the docks as well as the market. We had visitors that year and they were really impressed with just how much was going on in town.

Agreed it would be nice if the regular market could be incorporated into the city's xmas market. It would be one thing if we had an interesting variety of continental stalls in the market but aside from the first year (different management) this hasn't been the case. Other than the nuns xmas trinkets we've never found anything of interest for sale.

Also, as the market was missing Cranky Yankee's corndogs there really wasn't even much point going there for food. Hopefully he remember's his promise to return this year.

• Advertisement

Of course there will I just hope they don't do something stupid and move it from Eyre square as it makes the square such a nice festive place on the run up to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

The Spanish Arch version was a bit of a disaster with the weather last year but it was nice when the weather was ok

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

it was nice when the weather was ok

... which it usually is in the winter in Galway .... Not.

I do hope that the Grass Appreciation Society members who are so fervent about keeping the Christmas market out of Eyre Square are also supporting the council's proposed by-laws which will stop grass being damaged by such pursuits as bicycle riding and ball-sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The square is amazing when the market is set up, I was totally blown away by it, and loved calling up to the square and down to Sparch to see all the lights and stands.

While it's annoying not having the grass in summer, it's worth it for having the market imo, I hope it is in the square again.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let's stick to "if", "when" and "where" and leave the grass and the council out of it until OP's actual question is answered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

ball-sports.

I knew it was the balls, even when it was the huge stalls and wooden planks they sit on top of, I knew it was the balls!

When the square first re-opened after the demolition (re-design) they banned ball sports too...never seemed to be a problem in the old square. You'd routinely see kids playing soccer, not a bother on them. The grass overgrowing was the biggest problem back then...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I hope so. Some of my fondest memories of living in Galway are wandering around the Christmas market in Eyre square looking at the stalls. And stopping in to the beer tent for a stein or two of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Of course there will I just hope they don't do something stupid and move it from Eyre square as it makes the square such a nice festive place on the run up to Christmas.
    ... which it usually is in the winter in Galway .... Not.

I do hope that the Grass Appreciation Society members who are so fervent about keeping the Christmas market out of Eyre Square are also supporting the council's proposed by-laws which will stop grass being damaged by such pursuits as bicycle riding and ball-sports.

when Galwegians and visitors can't even sit in the green area at the centre of our city during the 3 weeks of summer we get every year, 6 months after the market has packed up, then there are serious decisions have to be made over the location of the the market. I'm sorry but the market is neither affordable or attractive to everybody, whereas the green area is free and for everybodies enjoyment. The only time I've spent any money in the market since it started was when Lidl or Aldi had stalls by the fountain for a week and everything was reasonably priced, I refuse to pay the extortionate prices for tacky nonsense from vendors that are not even from the area. shop local and support your local businesses in the run up to Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

pure.conya wrote: »
    when Galwegians and visitors can't even sit in the green area at the centre of our city during the 3 weeks of summer we get every year, 6 months after the market has packed up, then there are serious decisions have to be made over the location of the the market. I'm sorry but the market is neither affordable or attractive to everybody, whereas the green area is free and for everybodies enjoyment. The only time I've spent any money in the market since it started was when Lidl or Aldi had stalls by the fountain for a week and everything was reasonably priced, I refuse to pay the extortionate prices for tacky nonsense from vendors that are not even from the area. shop local and support your local businesses in the run up to Christmas!

That's one of the most bizarre posts I've ever seen on this forum.

My 2 cents is that i hope common sense prevails and the market goes back to normal in Eyre square.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Ah give him a chance sure who knows he may have just moved from Brazil or somewhere and not be fully aware of the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

Laviski wrote: »
    going by what they have said if it does go ahead they won't be on the grass but on the tarmac/footh paths.best place for them is the docks or woodquay and entice local traders....

I love the Christmas market. I love the atmosphere it brings about to Galway. Reading this I see maybe two potential problems

1) the stalls will be spaced out and the market itself will feel empty somewhat.

2) if the stalls are on the paths, tiles or floors are going to have to be laid anyways on the grass for foot traffic. Otherwise people.will be slipping in wet grass and muck conditions and the council's will be opening a big can of worms regarding compensation. The paths will have more grip for people to walk on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

That's one of the most bizarre posts I've ever seen on this forum.

My 2 cents is that i hope common sense prevails and the market goes back to normal in Eyre square.

I think one or both of those stores sell mostly if not all Irish meats. I agree with the poster. It's basically all overpriced and leaves a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

sticking to "if", "when" and "where" has kinda gone out the window
    If the Christmas market returns in November, it will not be placed on/near the green area. At best it will be placed around the fountain but it would be tiny and not worth it. - not that it was ever worth it in the first place. (excluding the first year ofc)

lets wait n see - planning permission will be submitted soon if it will go ahead or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I'm no engineer so don't laugh.
    Would placing the stalls on short (maybe 9") stilts help any? Surely 4/6 holes in the ground per stall which could be filled in would cause less damage than having the floors flat on the grass? Or would the lack of natural light ruin it anyway?
    I know it couldn't be done with the beer tent due to its size/volume of people, but maybe that could be moved to the concrete area?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Some of the stalls were on platforms last year. But I think that the light thing is an issue. Also that they couldn't cover the entire area, so inevitably some parts of the sacred grass were damaged.

I wonder, if they moved the market someplace else, would GAS station volunteer guides in Eyre Square to show visitors the way to the new location.

• Advertisement

How about relocating to Woodquay. Only problem is relocating the cars. It's central and no damage to any grass. If punters want to spend their money on overpriced tosh, they can do it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

How about just getting rid of the grass once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

More concrete!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

bobbyss wrote: »
    How about relocating to Woodquay. Only problem is relocating the cars. It's central and no damage to any grass. If punters want to spend their money on overpriced tosh, they can do it there.

And close Woodquay to traffic? Daft. The Square, Spanish Arch and Docks are the three obvious and sensible locations.

bobbyss wrote: »

And reduce parking and residents parking significantly when we have the absolutely perfect place for a market already called Eyre Square?

Its this sort of thing that Eyre square was made for i.e. markets. An empty dark and boring Eyre square will be a significant black mark on Christmas in Galway if it happens.

As for spending money on over priced tosh, the only thing I ever bought in the market is a coffee and many many pints of beer in the beer tent I go there for the atmosphere and look forward to it every year.

Its this sort of thing that Eyre square was made for i.e. markets. An empty dark and boring Eyre square will be a significant black mark on Christmas in Galway if it happens.

The top of Eyre Square was used for markets, the grassy part is closed off in the 1651 pictorial map of Galway and was fenced off until recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Could they get away with closing a car park for a while? Cathedral car park for example?

And close Woodquay to traffic? Daft. The Square, Spanish Arch and Docks are the three obvious and sensible locations.

The Spanish Arch? Strong winds. Possibility of massive tides. Possibility of flooding. Not an enjoyable experience for a consumer. Close Woodquay to traffic entering. But keep the road open towards GSC and Town Hall. Problem sorted. Now the council could pay a consultant to come up with that idea very handsomely indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Ffs, it's ireland. How hard can it be to grow grass? Eyre square is where it belongs.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    Could they get away with closing a car park for a while? Cathedral car park for example?

Leaving aside the massive inconvenience it would be to lose all them parking spaces at the busiest time of year its too off the beaten track. The market should be at the centre of things in Eyre Square.

I never say people get so worried over a bit of bloody grass.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement