Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas market 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

€4 just for chips

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ah sorry i see twas the cheese and chips stale, my bad... Next question now did you measure the chips against the ones you got in Mcid D's :) Im sorry in advance... Everything at places like this are normally around the same price. We got a mulled wine with a shot of Brandy in it for €5 and I was thinking feck they are getting a good come back on it, but then sure a shot of brandy would be around €4.50 anywho..

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Loved the market the first year and i think the last number of years haven't been close to crating the same experience. I've had my look and will not be going out of my way to return this year but i hope other people enjoy it and have a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

topcat77 wrote: »
    €4 of a tray of chips from the cheese and chips stall!!!. i took a stroll to McDonaghs and had a plate of chips for €2.80 instead.

surprised?
    Milly33 wrote: »
    So you saved €1.20 and didnt get cheese!!! why are people so negative about the market

because it's pure crap! the traders are the 1st to be ripped off for the pitch, then they pay seperately for electricity, this is turn means they need to charge extrotionate prices for their wares

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

pure.conya wrote: »
    the traders are the 1st to be ripped off for the pitch, then they pay seperately for electricity, this is turn means they need to charge extrotionate prices for their wares

So is your gripe with the market itself, or the organisers who (by proxy) are to blame for the prices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Personally I was delighted with my curry cheese chips for €5, they were better than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Why can't the City Council just decorate the entire city centre really nice and encourage everyone to shop in the shops that are there all year round rather than encouraging over priced temporary stalls?
    (Am I getting into the Galway City boards spirit right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

so so angry over it all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

flazio wrote: »
    (Am I getting into the Galway City boards spirit right?)

And what about the cyclists? You didn't even mention the cyclists. Typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

boardzz wrote: »

The soundtrack on that sounds like a woodpecker with a hangover.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The ferris wheel is pretty cool, great views over the city and the bay. Looks great lit up at night too...

Corndogs. That's all I care about. Is the corndog guy back? It's not a Christmas market without the corndog guy.

corndogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Corndogs. That's all I care about. Is the corndog guy back? It's not a Christmas market without the corndog guy.

corndogs.

Brah....

... Nah! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

So is your gripe with the market itself, or the organisers who (by proxy) are to blame for the prices?

well, the market itself as has been pointed out by others has been getting progressively worse as the years go by, i feel the organiser is very greedy and my views on the grass getting so badly damaged that the iconic square in the centre of our small city was wrecked for longer periods every year didn't help. one of the simplest pleasures in life comes on a nice day when lots of people find 5 mins spare time or during their lunchbreak to sit on a patch of grass and watch the world go by, read a book or pull out your laptop/tablet and get some work done in the fresh air while soaking up the nice day

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

pure.conya wrote: »
    well, the market itself as has been pointed out by others has been getting progressively worse as the years go by, i feel the organiser is very greedy

You do know that it's a different organiser this year, don't you ... and that it's a local company this year?

What evidence do you have of their greed?

fyi, The grass thing is very tired: 1/3 of it was undamaged an open for sitting upon all summer. But shure never let the facts get in the way of a good moan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

fyi, The grass thing is very tired: 1/3 of it was undamaged an open for sitting upon all summer. But shure never let the facts get in the way of a good moan.

You don't exactly pass up many opportunities to mention it yourself. In your haste to photograph a sick old man to get a dig in a few pages back you seem to have assumed they didn't place a tonne of Ferris wheel on the grass because of people being obsessed with the grass. Which is pretty ironic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

[quote="
    fyi, The grass thing is very tired: 1/3 of it was undamaged an open for sitting upon all summer. But shure never let the facts get in the way of a good moan.[/quote]

This is simply untrue, have you a link to this fact?
    Think every poster agreed except you that 90% of the grass was damaged last January through to July

Some of the grass was damaged, some people cared, some people didn't. Could we not all just agree on that and not start with the christing percentages again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Think every poster agreed except you that 90% of the grass was damaged last January through to July

Well can you link to your 90% claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

J o e wrote: »
    And what about the cyclists? You didn't even mention the cyclists. Typical.
    Doesn't that yoke at the top of the square look like a big bicycle wheel. It should be removed immediately.

• Advertisement

Where's it supposed to go, the Ferris wheel lanes in Galway are a f*ckin joke

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

The tight bastard in me can't get over the overpriced hot dogs and burgers. The whole thing is a money grab. I'd rather give my business to Galway retailers rather than to this lot who will be packed up and gone in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Rainman16 wrote: »
    The tight bastard in me can't get over the overpriced hot dogs and burgers. The whole thing is a money grab. I'd rather give my business to Galway retailers rather than to this lot who will be packed up and gone in a few weeks.

Is that the Charcoal Grill stand you're talking about? They are a local retailer - maybe someone could do a price comparison between their in-shop prices and market prices? (I've never felt the urge myself, so not the one to do it.)

Or do you mean the Adare Farm stall? I'd expect them to be a premium brand compared to CG, and so to cost more

You do know that it's a different organiser this year, don't you ... and that it's a local company this year?

You do know it's Same organiser has been doing the market this year and since 2014. Here the fact:
    http://milestoneinventive.com/da/markets/galway-continental-christmas-market/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Is that the Charcoal Grill stand you're talking about? They are a local retailer - maybe someone could do a price comparison between their in-shop prices and market prices? (I've never felt the urge myself, so not the one to do it.)

Or do you mean the Adare Farm stall? I'd expect them to be a premium brand compared to CG, and so to cost more

I think that the Charcoal grill thing is just a name for their particular Plot/stall/space,and nothing to do with Galways charcoal grill takeaways. None of the Turkish lads have ever worked in them as far as I can see and ive never heard of a link between them. If it is them then I'm surprised the food isn't better or th we recommend aren't any Turkish type options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Is that the Charcoal Grill stand you're talking about? They are a local retailer

Nothing to do with the local Charcoal Grill businesses. I've seen these guys at markets all over the country.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Zzippy wrote: »
    The ferris wheel is pretty cool, great views over the city and the bay. Looks great lit up at night too...

How much did it cost?

Why not submit a FOI request

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Why not submit a FOI request

I'm confused, you made a statement about boards users having a specific opinion and that 90% of grass was damaged, I questioned where you got the "facts" but you will only disclose if I send a FOI request to you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement