Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas market 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Grass...? Bicycle references...? Charcoal Grill...? Too much concentrated Galway Forum to compute...

36073eec4d2ff4d5a9d05d232d1556e8.jpg

To be fair though, that Adare Farm stall is a serious cut above just any auld fast food!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

You do know that it's a different organiser this year, don't you ... and that it's a local company this year?

What evidence do you have of their greed?

fyi, The grass thing is very tired: 1/3 of it was undamaged an open for sitting upon all summer. But shure never let the facts get in the way of a good moan.

the same company/individual that took it over the second year is still running it now and i reckon you knew that all to well. i often wonder what exactly went on behind closed doors as the original organiser was well capable of continuing to deliver, typical Galway ****ehawking of nods and winks and who ya know

http://www.galwayindependent.com/news/topics/articles/2016/10/26/4129053-christmas-market-countdown-now-on/
    Some of the grass was damaged, some people cared, some people didn't. Could we not all just agree on that and not start with the christing percentages again.

I will not agree to "some of the grass", it was more like 3/4 of the grass was damaged and actually blocked off during the nicest weather we experienced in Galway this year, 6 months after the market had pulled out!
    Rainman16 wrote: »
    The tight bastard in me can't get over the overpriced hot dogs and burgers. The whole thing is a money grab. I'd rather give my business to Galway retailers rather than to this lot who will be packed up and gone in a few weeks.

hear hear I've hardly spent €20 in the christmas market and most of that was in the very first year, whereas I spend a min €20 per week down at our weekly market between the oj lads, South African boer sausage, the donut man, fudge lady, egg man and the organic veg guys I like to spread the cash around
    You do know it's Same organiser has been doing the market this year and since 2014. Here the fact:
    http://milestoneinventive.com/da/markets/galway-continental-christmas-market/

well spotted, i guess ms o bumble should never let the facts get in the way of a cool story brah
    I think that the Charcoal grill thing is just a name for their particular Plot/stall/space,and nothing to do with Galways charcoal grill takeaways. None of the Turkish lads have ever worked in them as far as I can see and ive never heard of a link between them. If it is them then I'm surprised the food isn't better or th we recommend aren't any Turkish type options.

another fail on behalf of ms o bumble, guess she's living up to her name this morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

bobbyss wrote: »
    How much did it cost?

€5

pure.conya wrote: »
    another fail on behalf of ms o bumble, guess she's living up to her name this morning :D

Ah now... This is a very non-constructive, underhanded dig... I'm going to remind you to attack the post not the poster.

As a general note, there's a nasty edge sneaking into this thread; any further snide-ness between people will not be tolerated.

Christ on a merry-go-round, why can't we all just be civil?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

While I can understand some of the gripes with the Christmas Market and would rarely spend much there, I don't understand the outright hostility to it from some quarters. It certainly draws people in and for example on Sunday evening there was a nice atmosphere with big crowds of people wandering around the area. A relative who was visiting from an English city was pretty impressed with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Walked around the market on Saturday night and I have to say it was very nice, the lights on the trees, ferris wheel and carousel really made it very Christmassy ,the beer tent is bloody cold in there. its much nicer on the paths as there are no mucky bits and dare I mention it the grass looks great with the lights around the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Walked around the market on Saturday night and I have to say it was very nice, the lights on the trees, ferris wheel and carousel really made it very Christmassy ,the beer tent is bloody cold in there. its much nicer on the paths as there are no mucky bits and dare I mention it the grass looks great with the lights around the place.
    Was there any sight of the babby jesus?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,442 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

snubbleste wrote: »
    Was there any sight of the babby jesus?

He's not born yet.

Sure Mary's still up the duff, and ateing Chimney Cake whilst having a crafty píss round the back of the Beer Tent. Afterwards Joe is gonna take her on the Ferris wheel and treat her to a cheesy chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

pure.conya wrote: »
    I will not agree to "some of the grass", it was more like 3/4 of the grass was damaged

3/4 = some

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I thought the Cork section was bad for giving out but jaysus lads ye have it..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Milly33 wrote: »
    I thought the Cork section was bad for giving out but jaysus lads ye have it..

Unfortunately a fair reflection. It's really just a handful of negative nancies who stick their negative tupance into every single thread.

Then the usual nit picking breaks out when other posters (those who actually leave their computer screens and actually go outside and realise the world ain't such a bad place) try to present a balanced view point

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

That's me done now. No more Galway City forum for me till next year. Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Unfortunately a fair reflection. It's really just a handful of negative nancies who stick their negative tupance into every single thread.

Then the usual nit picking breaks out when other posters (those who actually leave their computer screens and actually go outside and realise the world ain't such a bad place) try to present a balanced view point

This is simply untrue, have you a link to this fact? I'd imagine a lot of boardies have never left there computers, go outside or have ever enjoyed grass

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Lorikeet111

Well i think its lovely

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭Galway_Old_Man

I'm happy to read that others have seen the light on the realities behind our annual visitors. The first year was alright but since then it's been disaster after fiasco. I laughed so much on seeing where they have plonked the Big Wheel! Who knows what they'll come with next year.

I'll be supporting the Real Market and spending my money on quality products from locals who are here year round, not carpet-baggers flogging ostrich burgers and E50/llb penny sweets. Spare me the same old stuff about "how great the chimeny cakes are" and "this years hot dogs are the best," If it were up to me we'd run these cowboys out of town and bar them from ever setting foot in the city again!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I got drunk in the beer tent last Saturday. Not sure how much it cost me but I had a bold time. It's 10/10 from me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I've never seen so many people get so enraged by something that has so little impact on their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Does it seem that some of the hostility at least comes from big fans (or connections of some kind) of the regular market? I don't see the Christmas market having much impact on them but it does seem to get fairly consistent mentions.

Brah....

... Nah! :(

I walked the length and breadth of the market, excited that I might see him and had my money ready to buy everything he had.

Only to be utterly disappointed.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Bazzo wrote: »
    I've never seen so many people get so enraged by something that has so little impact on their lives.

You might be onto something there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

You've got to accentuate the positive
    Eliminate the negative
    Latch on to the affirmative
    Don't mess with Mister In-Between

You've got to spread joy up to the maximum
    Bring gloom down to the minimum
    Have faith or pandemonium
    Liable to walk upon the scene

To illustrate his last remark
    Jonah in the whale, Noah in the ark
    What did they do
    Just when everything looked so dark?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

You've got to accentuate the positive
    Eliminate the negative
    Latch on to the affirmative
    Don't mess with Mister In-Between

You've got to spread joy up to the maximum
    Bring gloom down to the minimum
    Have faith or pandemonium
    Liable to walk upon the scene

To illustrate his last remark
    Jonah in the whale, Noah in the ark
    What did they do
    Just when everything looked so dark?

Think I'd endure the market rather than that.

I don't know if I would say "enraged" is the right word. It's more angry at the system.

Ask yourself, why wasn't there a Christmas market during the Celtic Tiger years? Surely there was plenty of money to be made. Yet it wasn't until 2010 that we see one land here, taking money out of the country. Same year as the Troika started their rule, same year as the numerous vulture funds arrived and started hoovering up homes and land.

I thought it was an interesting sight the year after. If you went to the square at night time you had the Occupy Galway (whom I have many issues with) protesters right next to a walled off piece of public land, patrolled by private security contractors protecting a glorified mechanism for taking Irish money to far flung corporate fat-cats. The comparisons with Rossport and other places are easy to see.

It's a hydra. Just all the more galling when it's given such prominence and the backing of the Galway media and in-the-know.

The Real Market for Real People I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Irish money? You mean money that Irish people make providing services to American companies? I'd call that American money.

Irish money? You mean money that Irish people make providing services to American companies? I'd call that American money.

I guess you are paying your income taxes to Uncle Sam then?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If you picture the market as some insult to Social Justice, then the problem is not with the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Bogsnorkler

What about money Japanese people make selling services to Russians in Switzerland? Or money Congolese people make providing services to German tourists in Belgium? Who's money is it then?

It's all part of this global neoliberalism: manifesting itself in Eyre's square for 5 weeks every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I don't know if I would say "enraged" is the right word. It's more angry at the system.

Ask yourself, why wasn't there a Christmas market during the Celtic Tiger years? Surely there was plenty of money to be made. Yet it wasn't until 2010 that we see one land here, taking money out of the country. Same year as the Troika started their rule, same year as the numerous vulture funds arrived and started hoovering up homes and land.

I thought it was an interesting sight the year after. If you went to the square at night time you had the Occupy Galway (whom I have many issues with) protesters right next to a walled off piece of public land, patrolled by private security contractors protecting a glorified mechanism for taking Irish money to far flung corporate fat-cats. The comparisons with Rossport and other places are easy to see.

It's a hydra. Just all the more galling when it's given such prominence and the backing of the Galway media and in-the-know.

The Real Market for Real People I say!

I don't think you'll find any tin foil hats on sale at the market so you're as well not going.

• Advertisement

I don't think you'll find any tin foil hats on sale at the market so you're as well not going.

Sounds like you've found a gap in the market there, ben! Quick... Get yourself a stall! :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement