Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas market 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Sounds like you've found a gap in the market there, ben! Quick... Get yourself a stall! :pac:

Yup I'd sell out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭Galway_Old_Man

I don't think you'll find any tin foil hats on sale at the market so you're as well not going.

If there were, I'm sure they would be artisan, made in the authentic Bavarian style at a price of E15 :D

E20 for the one with a picture of a kangaroo on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

WTF happened this thread?

Anything market related at all.....

I walked through it today. Not a lot caught my eye. I didnt go up the size with the ferris Wheel. Anything to be seen over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

WTF happened this thread?

Anything market related at all.....

I walked through it today. Not a lot caught my eye. I didnt go up the size with the ferris Wheel. Anything to be seen over there?

A dog clothes stall, a grill, a baklava/turkish sweets/etc stall, two fairground type win a prize ones and a second mini donuts one. Big queue for the wheel when i passed at 645.

Mini donuts are the only thing i want to try, grand for €3 for a small portion, anyone had them yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

A dog clothes stall, a grill, a baklava/turkish sweets/etc stall, two fairground type win a prize ones and a second mini donuts one. Big queue for the wheel when i passed at 645.

Mini donuts are the only thing i want to try, grand for €3 for a small portion, anyone had them yet?

They're not particularly nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

My issue with the Christmas Market is that there's a huge demand for a bigger market space for local producers, yet this caters nearly exclusively to foreign/international stall owners. You see the same stalls at all of these types of market so there's nothing interesting to see/buy. Most of the "craft" stuff is clearly bought in from China or somewhere. It's dull and doesn't help local people trying to make a go of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

The why don't some of the locals either try to get involved in this one and improve it, or create an alternative?

Mr_A wrote: »
    The why don't some of the locals either try to get involved in this one and improve it, or create an alternative?

They Christmas stalls cost a lot to rent and you can't just open up a market wherever you want. You need council permission, permits, etc. and they're not very open to it.

A few years ago there was attempts to get a regular market off the ground in Woodquay but they weren't willing to give up the parking spots. There was also a councillor campaigning to have a regular one in the multi story car park down the Docks, but that's gone quiet now too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭Galway_Old_Man

There is an alternative but it hasn't got the backing of the big wigs in the Council or their supporters in the Ruling class (Galway media elite and local business concerns).

I asked a local politician about all this before. You know the one, picture always in the paper. He said the Christmas Market was important for MNC investment in the city. As if we should sacrifice our sovereignty, pride and dignity to bow down for carpet baggers to take over the town so the AcmeMedicalDevice CEO can regale someone at his next meeting of the Elite in Davos that "this small town in Ireland, Gaal-way I think? It has a lovely little market in December."

You won't find much Chinese made stuff or globalist-hooverers of money down The Real Market, you should try it out :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

I like beer, that is all.

P.s lets not fool ourselves. Most of us like the square looking pretty, and the german pintins. Whatever stalls, around it is really just part of the xmas decorations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

My issue with the Christmas Market is that there's a huge demand for a bigger market space for local producers it.

My issue with 'local' producers is they seem to think the world owes them a living because they set up a business, and it's local.
    You see the same stalls at all of these types of market so there's nothing interesting to see/buy.

Your opinion. Thousands disagree every year. Don't go if you don't like it.
    Most of the "craft" stuff is clearly bought in from China or somewhere.

Any evidence for this? Do some items say "Made in China or somewhere"?

There is an alternative but it hasn't got the backing of the big wigs in the Council or their supporters in the Ruling class (Galway media elite and local business concerns).

I asked a local politician about all this before. You know the one, picture always in the paper. He said the Christmas Market was important for MNC investment in the city. As if we should sacrifice our sovereignty, pride and dignity to bow down for carpet baggers to take over the town so the AcmeMedicalDevice CEO can regale someone at his next meeting of the Elite in Davos that "this small town in Ireland, Gaal-way I think? It has a lovely little market in December."

You won't find much Chinese made stuff or globalist-hooverers of money down The Real Market, you should try it out :D:D

I have been through the regular market regularly and quite like it too. Although like the other there is little enough I'd actually be tempted to buy. I honestly don't get why one is presented as good and special while the other is somehow evil. Is all just people trying to make a few quid, and good luck to them, whether local or not.

Ludikrus wrote: »
    My issue with 'local' producers is they seem to think the world owes them a living because they set up a business, and it's local.

The world doesn't but it's far more beneficial for the community if they're successful. Keeps money in the city, creates jobs, keeps people in the area, etc. etc.
    Your opinion. Thousands disagree every year. Don't go if you don't like it.

Why thank you for telling me that. I never knew that I didn't have to go to it. I thought it was mandatory. Also, is my opinion not fact? When did that happen?
    Any evidence for this? Do some items say "Made in China or somewhere"?

Sorry, I forgot to reference my journal article on the prevalence of Chinese goods at the Galway Christmas market. You'll have to do the research yourself now though because I just found out that I don't have to go to it anymore! Country of origin is usually included on manufactured items though.

Seriously. It's an opinion post. I even started the post with "My issue...". I did work there though so it's an informed opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

Seriously. It's an opinion post. I even started the post with "My issue...". I did work there though so it's an informed opinion.

So you are posting an informed opinion, on a public forum about someone elses business, that they are passing off chinese-imported goods as handmade craft items. It's someone's livelihood so it would be good if you could back that up.

Ludikrus wrote: »
    So you are posting an informed opinion, on a public forum about someone elses business, that they are passing off chinese-imported goods as handmade craft items. It's someone's livelihood so it would be good if you could back that up.

I'm truly humbled by how influential you think my posts are but I don't think they'll put anybody in the poor house just yet. You also misread my post. I never said anyone was passing off knock-offs as handmade. But I would have another look at how many things are claiming to be handmade. Most stalls just make things look like an artisan stall and people just assume they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... As if we should sacrifice our sovereignty, pride and dignity to bow down for carpet baggers to take over the town ....

So you're saying that the Irish seaweed cosmetics people, Man of Aran Fudge, Mocha beans are globalist-hooverers of money???

What about the garlic grater people: they were at a stall in The Real Market, sic, last weekend, which category do they fall into?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can we get back to Winter Wonderland stuff please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

I was walking through the square this morning. It was just a passing. Wasn't browsing the market but I noticed the nun's stall was gone. It was located at the end of the square towards the great southern hotel and the bus station last week. Anyone know what the story is there? Was the stall moved else where?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,442 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I didn't see it yesterday either, but priests have a stall about half way up with a box for your petitions etc.
    On another note, I got a huuuge crepe from the van near the tourist kiosk. Definitely value for money. Friendly guy as well.

The crafty nuns have moved to a different stall up the top near the stairs. A mixed nut selection place has moved in where they were.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The crafty nuns have moved to a different stall up the top near the stairs. A mixed nut selection place has moved in where they were.
    There's a stairs? A Stairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

snubbleste wrote: »
    There's a stairs? A Stairs?

Yes! Yes! does it lead to the North Pole? :eek:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'm going to go up to the Market later and buy an over-priced beer and an over-priced burger, just to p1ss off the haters on this thread.

G'luckkkkkkkk :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I'm going to go up to the Market later and buy an over-priced beer and an over-priced burger, just to p1ss off the haters on this thread.

G'luckkkkkkkk :pac:

Could you get a receipt so we have a source for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Could you get a receipt so we have a source for this?

Link??

Uh oh. Clergy being mysteriously relocated? This usually doesn't mean good news :eek:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Uh oh. Clergy being mysteriously relocated? This usually doesn't mean good news :eek:

Nuns and priests trying to bring religion into a Christian festival? Whatever next?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Spotted them earlier in the week aswell as last year
    Be careful in their guys n dolls

Most nuns I know wouldn't be happy to be demoted to mere clergy. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'm a big fan of the market, but the planning this year is horrendously bad. All because of the grass people.

The walkway through Eyre Square has been cut in half with the stalls (the best they can do I guess) but now it is a half a footpath to walk through, with bigger numbers than normal because of the time of the year added to the extra footfall the market brings. Also people just standing at each stall is making the space even lower. But what the worst is the ignorant people who just stop and down tools with buggys and bags and everything and just have a big conversation in the middle of the footpath and stopping people walking through. Then looking at you in disgust if you dare to ask them to move in and let people pass. Like groups of mothers with about 6 kids between them, loads of bags and buggys standing blocking the path. It actually backs the crowd up both ends of Eyre Square then.

Also added to this, there is no link between the portaloos to the beer tent. You have to leave, then walk all the way around down through the market and back up the steps to beside the tent, just to get into them. A litre of 2 of beer added to the congestion of people idling standing in the way are not a good mix! Why are they blocked off from the tent when to be fair the biggest users of the portaloos are probably the people in the beer tent!

Rant over!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement