Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas market 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Well we had our annual/Christmas chimney cakes this afternoon and they were fine, initial problems must have been sorted out.

Not sure whether it's the more compact layout or what but the walkways were crowded and stalls all seemed busy.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

bobbyss wrote: »
    I didn't quite catch what you meant about my family looking forward to new year presents... ? Can you clarify please?

Well since you're too busy to go Christmas shopping, they won't be getting any Christmas presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Well since you're too busy to go Christmas shopping, they won't be getting any Christmas presents.

What are ya on about Santa Claus brings the presents!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Not sure whether it's the more compact layout or what but the walkways were crowded and stalls all seemed busy.

It must be the walkway layout that seemed to entice the up swing in pickpocket activity this year. It seems to be more prevalent this year compared to others? There were all sorts of warnings on the media recently about helium balloon sellers acting as distractors for the actual pick pockets, and it was mentioned too that extra Gardai were deployed to counter the activity.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I see what you mean.

No, I was speaking about what little time there is to visit the market itself specifically, not Christmas shopping in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I see what you mean.

No, I was speaking about what little time there is to visit the market itself specifically, not Christmas shopping in general.

And I suppose one has to be attended to in person while the other can be done on-line.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

And I suppose one has to be attended to in person while the other can be done on-line.

My apologies, but I am not one hundred percent sure of what you mean but if you wouldn't mind rephrasing it clearly and simply? Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭Galway_Old_Man

I am pretty sure it is. I think they sell of stuff cheaply to clear their stalls before closing shop.

Might be able to pick up a garlic crusher for fifty quid even :D

Good riddance to it for another year. They better have all the stuff cleared away when they're legging it out of town (taking our hard earned money with them), I'd hate for the square to be still closed off on Christmas Day. I always like a nice walk through the city centre in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

My apologies, but I am not one hundred percent sure of what you mean but if you wouldn't mind rephrasing it clearly and simply? Thanks.

i got this

one has to be attended in person, the other can be done online

you're welcome

• Advertisement

^^^ :D:D Brilliant.

The Real Galway Market is open everyday until the 24th of December by the way. Let's keep the money local and out of the hands of the fat-cats, vulture funds and oligarchs who run these pop-up Christmas market rackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The Real Galway Market is open everyday until the 24th of December by the way. Let's keep the money local and out of the hands of the fat-cats, vulture funds and oligarchs who run these pop-up Christmas market rackets.

Ha, most of the traders in the St Nicholas Market (why's it still got a religious name in modern secular Ireland anyways?) are boggers and blow ins from Mayo and the like, or furrigners here to steal your jobs.

Let's keep the money
    (which we earn working in American multi-nationals)
    with local business people who've got at least four generations in Forthill, they're the true Galway people.

How dare you attempt to tar me as some foreigner hating loudmouth. I've never said anything of the sort. Retract.

You've attempt to shoe-horn in the American MNCs before, what's your obsession with them? Some people do work for them, big wup. We obviously can't be a closed off economy but nobody with an once of sense can argue against increased local spending in the local economy helps everybody out. Rather than letting the money from the West be hoovered into offshore accounts of the global elite.
    why's it still got a religious name in modern secular Ireland anyways?

We should cleanse the country of religious influence. Rename all streets with "Saint" in their names, knock down everything to do with it (Skellig Michael to be blown up, Newgrance turned into a McDonalds). We can start again, call it "Year Zero"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Finally went yesterday after taking the kids to Elf Town (which was quite good btw). Started at the top which was nice enough and did a ride on the Ferris wheel. It was strange to have to cross the road but without the taxi rank it was pretty quiet. :)

Really wish they'd mix up the traders more, how many garlic grinders could we possibly need? Then I saw the bit mentioned by other posters when past the steps you are funnelled into this long crowded alley of shops and are quite hemmed in. Perfect conditions for pick pockets. Felt safe but it was claustrophobic and not worth the bother.

Finally went yesterday after taking the kids to Elf Town (which was quite good btw). Started at the top which was nice enough and did a ride on the Ferris wheel. It was strange to have to cross the road but without the taxi rank it was pretty quiet. :)

Really wish they'd mix up the traders more, how many garlic grinders could we possibly need? Then I saw the bit mentioned by other posters when past the steps you are funnelled into this long crowded alley of shops and are quite hemmed in. Perfect conditions for pick pockets. Felt safe but it was claustrophobic and not worth the bother.

I haven't been yet and it doesn't look like I will. I don't think it will be worth it either. Being hemmed in and possibility of pick pockets. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Excellent point!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Storm 10

At least the Christmas Market here in Galway is safe so spare a thought for the people in Berlin tonight after a possible terrorist attack on their Christmas market with a truck, several dead and a lot of injuries, thoughts and prayers for them

So much negativity about the Christmas market.
    I suppose people with something to complain about make a lot more noise than those who are happy.

Anyway, I was in there a few times this year, and I find it lovely. Didn't experience any pick pocketers. Thats not to say they dont exist, and I find people like that to be scum.

My experiences have all been good. From a few drinks in the tent, to strolling through the area in day time and evening.
    I know my sister and her family of kids have loved it, and spent numerous days in there.
    My Dublin based friend walked through there with me on Saturday evening, and was commenting on how Christmassy it is, and how festive it made him feel
    I met a large number of Wasps fans in there on Saturday afternoon, and everyone of them that I spoke to, thought it was a lovely addition, and enjoyed it.

So while some of you whinge and cry about the state of the square, or the cost of stalls, or the lack of local people working there, remember, it has also brought people into the city center. It has added to people opinions of Galway from abroad, and it has helped people feel more festive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

How dare you attempt to tar me as some foreigner hating loudmouth. I've never said anything of the sort. Retract.

You've attempt to shoe-horn in the American MNCs before, what's your obsession with them? Some people do work for them, big wup. We obviously can't be a closed off economy but nobody with an once of sense can argue against increased local spending in the local economy helps everybody out. Rather than letting the money from the West be hoovered into offshore accounts of the global elite.

We should cleanse the country of religious influence. Rename all streets with "Saint" in their names, knock down everything to do with it (Skellig Michael to be blown up, Newgrance turned into a McDonalds). We can start again, call it "Year Zero"
    And don't forget to rename Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

So much negativity about the Christmas market.
    I suppose people with something to complain about make a lot more noise than those who are happy.

Anyway, I was in there a few times this year, and I find it lovely. Didn't experience any pick pocketers. Thats not to say they dont exist, and I find people like that to be scum.

My experiences have all been good. From a few drinks in the tent, to strolling through the area in day time and evening.
    I know my sister and her family of kids have loved it, and spent numerous days in there.
    My Dublin based friend walked through there with me on Saturday evening, and was commenting on how Christmassy it is, and how festive it made him feel
    I met a large number of Wasps fans in there on Saturday afternoon, and everyone of them that I spoke to, thought it was a lovely addition, and enjoyed it.

So while some of you whinge and cry about the state of the square, or the cost of stalls, or the lack of local people working there, remember, it has also brought people into the city center. It has added to people opinions of Galway from abroad, and it has helped people feel more festive.

Ah yeah but if everyone liked it then the tin foil hat brigade and the whingers wouldn't be able to vent and we wouldn't get a great auld laugh out of this thread.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    And don't forget to rename Christmas

The cowboys in the Square may call themselves the "Christmas Market" but trust me, it's all about the FREE Market for them!

I imagine walking around there with "They Live" sunglasses and seeing what's really going on :D

Didn't experience any pick pocketers.

Trust me, someone has their hands in your pocket as soon as you enter the place :D
    it has also brought people into the city center.

The city centre was packed in the lead up to Christmas in years before the market's arrival.

I am happy that you had a good time though, and I want to wish you a Merry Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Didnt think much of it to be honest. Was up there on Sunday and all I saw was burger joints and pulled pork rolls and tat for sale. Not a lot else.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

The cowboys in the Square may call themselves the "Christmas Market" but trust me, it's all about the FREE Market for them!

I imagine walking around there with "They Live" sunglasses and seeing what's really going on :D

Do everyone a favour and change that tired old broken record....

Do you realise that tourists actually come to Galway especially for the market and a lot of them are happy and return? People want a Christmas market feel not the vegetable market feel you are trying to shout them into. Plenty of galway businesses are benefiting from the market from knock on purchases. There are very few Christmas markets in Ireland, just because it's not of the standard of traditional German markets doesn't mean it should be shut down.

Usual complainers complaining about something that has zero impact on them, and when the item they are complaining about is driven away they move onto something else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Well complaints drove the market off the grass and now the new layout is driving further complaints. I'm happy for anyone who perhaps visited at a less busy time or enjoyed themselves just the same. I certainly wish to see it come back and wish it to be bigger and better next year. Sadly it doesn't seem headed in that direction given this year compared to previous years but largely that's down to the original kill joys of grass-gate. I'm sure they'll keep tweaking it each year and hope they can improve on it.

Do you realise that tourists actually come to Galway especially for the market and a lot of them are happy and return? People want a Christmas market feel not the vegetable market feel you are trying to shout them into. Plenty of galway businesses are benefiting from the market from knock on purchases. There are very few Christmas markets in Ireland, just because it's not of the standard of traditional German markets doesn't mean it should be shut down.

I can't think of a major town/city on the island that hasn't got one. The heads of hydra appear everywhere :)

Sure we could legalise prostitution and heroin, get loads of tourists that way! :D
    I certainly wish to see it come back and wish it to be bigger and better next year. Sadly it doesn't seem headed in that direction

The grass roots campaign by people standing up against Big Business was great. First real victory. The growing dissatisfaction with it is the great dawning awareness.

Trust me, someone has their hands in your pocket as soon as you enter the place :D

Well that's obviously not true. I know you added a smiley face, to show you're not completely serious, but you're trying to build a negative image of the place.
    I know lots and lots of people who have spent time in the market this year, and not one person that I have spoken to, has made any mention of pick pocketers.
    I accept it happens, as people here have mentioned it, but if you want to be taken seriously, you need to be balanced in your argument.

The city centre was packed in the lead up to Christmas in years before the market's arrival.

Yes, of course it was. But also, extra people have gone into the city center just to see the Christmas Market, and ended up doing some impulse buying because they are in the City Center. I'm not trying to claim that the market is the driving force behind the crowds. I'm trying to explain that people go into the city, just to see the market, and end up doing more than they had planned originally.
    I am happy that you had a good time though, and I want to wish you a Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas to you too

Well that's obviously not true. I know you added a smiley face, to show you're not completely serious, but you're trying to build a negative image of the place.
    I know lots and lots of people who have spent time in the market this year, and not one person that I have spoken to, has made any mention of pick pocketers.
    I accept it happens, as people here have mentioned it, but if you want to be taken seriously, you need to be balanced in your argument.

Ah no, you picked (!) me up wrong. As much as I dislike the market, I wouldn't blame them for pickpocketing etc. These things happen in any crowded area, especially in the leadup to Christmas with so much cash and presents on people.

I was getting a sly dig in at the stall operators, implying they were the ones engaging in robbery :D
    Merry Christmas to you too

Thanks. I hope 2017 is a good one for us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

I was there on Sunday night. One spin on the big wheel, 1 scrumptious burger and 4 glasses of German beer served by a busty blonde barmaid and I was happy out!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,442 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Will ye PLEASE STOP typing CENTER!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement