Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas market 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It's been excellent as always. Hopefully it's back next year again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Anyone know when the market is going or is it gone already?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

The grass roots campaign by people standing up against Big Business was great. First real victory. The growing dissatisfaction with it is the great dawning awareness.

Sorry, what are you saying there? Are you happy about it being worse this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Dont feed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Dont feed.

Ahh, but it's such fun ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭Galway_Old_Man

I'm happy that the grass has been spared. That a private company has been denied the right to destroy public lands. And that it's the first victory in eventually bringing down the global, elitist encampment in the heart of our city.

Also I was thinking today about the Aldi hot-dog sellers. Today at work, a guy made the mistake of mixing them up with our beloved Charcoal Grill. We've seen in this thread one of the posters try and push this falsehood in trying to claim that the cowboys are indeed local. I think we should petition the council to ensure that whoever is there next year, doesn't dare appropriate the names and reputation of good Galway people and businesses. Hydra wears its masks of convenience, but an informed mind sees through it all :D:D

Anyway, I'll be down the Real Market later. Hope to see ye there if there's any money left over from the gouging in the Square :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'm happy that the grass has been spared. That a private company has been denied the right to destroy public lands. And that it's the first victory in eventually bringing down the global, elitist encampment in the heart of our city.

Also I was thinking today about the Aldi hot-dog sellers. Today at work, a guy made the mistake of mixing them up with our beloved Charcoal Grill. We've seen in this thread one of the posters try and push this falsehood in trying to claim that the cowboys are indeed local. I think we should petition the council to ensure that whoever is there next year, doesn't dare appropriate the names and reputation of good Galway people and businesses. Hydra wears its masks of convenience, but an informed mind sees through it all :D:D

Anyway, I'll be down the Real Market later. Hope to see ye there if there's any money left over from the gouging in the Square :D

Did the people in the square use the name Charcoal Grill or tell people they were from Charcoal Grill? Otherwise, it's not their fault people are stupid.

Being honest, your attitude would put me off going to the "Real" market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, to be honest, it's an attitude that's not doing you any favours. They're difference audiences, someone who's up for a few pints in the tent, a go on the big-wheel and a hotdog/burger afterwards could hardly be claimed to be being poached from the so-called "real market", so I don't understand this level of spite towards it. It brings people into the city, it creates a nice atmosphere, and people are more likely to wander downtown afterwards to take in the general festive atmosphere, which benefits all retailers. It's only a few weeks a year, not exactly a mafia extortion racket.

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Did the people in the square use the name Charcoal Grill or tell people they were from Charcoal Grill? Otherwise, it's not their fault people are stupid.

They have Chacoal Grill written in big letters on thier stall.

Personally i still believe theyre likely to be connected to the shops in town, even if the staff working the places are different.

Personally i still believe theyre likely to be connected to the shops in town, even if the staff working the places are different.

They're not connected at all. It's 'a' charcoal grill, its not a brand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

In the word of the big man himself

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Walk through Eyre Square every morning before the market opens and the stink from those burger stalls is unreal. Most mornings the place is crawling with Seagulls and those stalls are left open. Hope they give them a good clean down before they started cooking every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Being honest, your attitude would put me off going to the "Real" market

Great.

pure.conya wrote: »
    Great.

Superb contribution as always from yourself.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

merry xmas to all, but being a prat is gonna see slaps[

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

was up at the Belfast xmas market recently, and fair play to the organizers lots of diversity with some really decent non food related stalls, these guys know what they are doing in comparison to the joke of a market in galway for the last number of years.

through out the market nothing was repeated and the only duplicate stalls was two German sausage stall (that had a variety of different sausages with a better roll provided) and two beer tents (which server a lot more different/strange beers for example strawberry beer), before you say it was bigger, the space is pretty damm close to the size of kennedy park.

do it right or don't do it all phrase comes to mind when you look at the galway attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Laviski wrote: »
    was up at the Belfast xmas market recently, and fair play to the organizers lots of diversity with some really decent non food related stalls, these guys know what they are doing in comparison to the joke of a market in galway for the last number of years.
    This year's has been the best in many years. They seem to have made a real push in the last 2/3 years to include lots of local traders after facing much the same criticisms as the Galway market in the past. They really struck a good balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

Market Place Europe run the Belfast market. These are the same guys who done the first market in Galway but were forced out after the first year.Pity as they are pros at what they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Superb contribution as always from yourself.

The way certain people have carried on trolling and taking the p1ss out of the normal human beings posting in this thread who just like the simple pleasure of sitting down and enjoying the park as the weather improves from March onwards tells me they're not the demographic the regular Galway market wants or needs.

Is that better for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

pure.conya wrote: »
    The way certain people have carried on trolling and taking the p1ss out of the normal human beings posting in this thread who just like the simple pleasure of sitting down and enjoying the park as the weather improves from March onwards tells me they're not the demographic the regular Galway market wants or needs.

Is that better for you

I have to admit I don't really know why the undercurrent of this thread is so nasty and bitter (something to do with grass and/or prices) but in some ways it reflects some of the nasty attitudes in this forum for many years. I just hope it improves in 2017.

Happy Christmas everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

well said, Happy Christmas and lets start again september 2017 :D

if anyone should take piece of advice they should watch this:

Despite the negativity Looks like moving the market off the grass helped attract record number.

http://connachttribune.ie/organisers-say-christmas-market-drew-600000-visitors/

Despite the negativity Looks like moving the market off the grass helped attract record number.

More like the good weather meant numbers were high.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

No doubt some other excuse will be conjured up by the dooms dayers!

It's not perfect but it's popularity is growing.

Roll on next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Can't imagine the grass had anything to do with it. So far we've had a very mild winter this year with little rain. Especially compared to last winter when it bucketed down on many days on the run in to Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

Give it up children!

Can't imagine the grass had anything to do with it. So far we've had a very mild winter this year with little rain. Especially compared to last winter when it bucketed down on many days on the run in to Christmas.

The Ferris wheel is credited as been a major draw.
    The fact that it was off the grass means that the heart of Galway which has very few green areas now has a square that it can proud of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The bitterest battles are those with the lowest stakes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement