Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas market 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

There's an annual fee for the license. Don't know the amount, suspect it's now in the low hundreds.

Ya was unsure on that, didnt think it would be high anyway given the nature of the business of many of the pitch holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I love the weekend market... The whole atmosphere and vibe of the place just works... With that in mind, why can't the Christmas market follow that same suit, albeit with a Christmassy feel? You'd still have the beer tent, pig-on-a-spit, chimney cake, but also with some proper authentic handmade shít, and Danny's Boychik doughnuts...? Sweet baby jesus dem doughnuts... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

Because the Xmas market is run by a private operator to make as much money as possible.Could be great if it was run properly.

Yes the first year was run by a different operator who were left with no option by to leave after ridiculous demands by the city business association running it.Really needs to be looked into but alot of dodgy dealings going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Yes the first year was run by a different operator who were left with no option by to leave after ridiculous demands by the city business association running it.Really needs to be looked into but alot of dodgy dealings going on there.

This does not surprise me, you might remember 2 maybe 3 years ago the council outrageously waived the rental fees for that year, stating the organiser brings a lot of business to the city. I would welcome an investigation into this if I thought for one second we might get to the truth but this town is far too small

• Advertisement

Because the Xmas market is run by a private operator to make as much money as possible.Could be great if it was run properly.

A not for profit organisation with much cheaper rental and a strict quota of say 30% of pitches for non local business would be nice and respectful to our local entrepreneurs. It would give them a platform to promote their business to the city and we could also promote the local products to visitors

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I love the weekend market... The whole atmosphere and vibe of the place just works... With that in mind, why can't the Christmas market follow that same suit, albeit with a Christmassy feel? You'd still have the beer tent, pig-on-a-spit, chimney cake, but also with some proper authentic handmade shít, and Danny's Boychik doughnuts...? Sweet baby jesus dem doughnuts... :pac:

It's not for me I'm afraid. Full of poseurs. Flaffing around with fancy cheese. But each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

bobbyss wrote: »
    It's not for me I'm afraid. Full of poseurs. Flaffing around with fancy cheese. But each to their own.

Sure, there's a few hipsters drifting about the place.
    But the food and crafts on offer are great quality and good value for money too.
    It's my favourite part of the city now, and I only wish the Christmas market had half its atmosphere.

alot of dodgy dealings going on there.

Can you please clarify what you mean by this; possibly with some credible support or evidence of dodgy dealings?

Hearsay is dangerous as fook!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

There you go again, trying to ruin a good story with facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Wait till I tell ya....

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

An investigation is needed as to why the first operating company (Market place Europe) was forced out and what vested interests were involved in getting rid of them.Market place Europe are a very successful company organising markets all over the UK including the very successful Belfast market.Why they were forced out is beyond dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

An investigation is needed as to why the first operating company (Market place Europe) was forced out and what vested interests were involved in getting rid of them.Market place Europe are a very successful company organising markets all over the UK including the very successful Belfast market.Why they were forced out is beyond dodgy.

There's no requirement for the city business association to be 'fair', they're not publicly funded, so they just need to follow the law.

There you go again, trying to ruin a good story with facts.

f7abfce36a40bcd7d4991ce277a12ce41b7074a18ea21bd6343b95f53968ecdc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Dodgy how, all you keep saying is dodgy this dodgy that with nothing to back it up.

There's no requirement for the city business association to be 'fair', they're not publicly funded, so they just need to follow the law.

Wrong, they need to be seen to have followed the law, what gets decided behind closed doors it's not always lawful

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Jesus wept. This has to be the dullest most whinger filled forum on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

yup, the speculations/accusations continues along with the pro grass and the anti grass movements. Almost feels the vocal ones here are part of anti water charges groups, keeps them going until the next march.

like others before it, it won't be long now before it will be closed. People should wait and see for the planning permission to be submitted, it was around in October last year it was submitted and rather pushed through quickly.

so can we just clear the thread until that happens? then discuss the design they have submitted.
    (asking a lot i know)

Laviski wrote: »
    yup, the speculations/accusations continues along with the pro grass and the anti grass movements. Almost feels the vocal ones here are part of anti water charges groups, keeps them going until the next march.

like others before it, it won't be long now before it will be closed. People should wait and see for the planning permission to be submitted, it was around in October last year it was submitted and rather pushed through quickly.

so can we just clear the thread until that happens? then discuss the design they have submitted.
    (asking a lot i know)

How is wanting to chill out on the grass during the few weeks of fine weather we get only once a year such an alien concept to some people. Have people become so disconnected with reality that they've forgotten how nice it is to take some time out for themselves, or with family and friends and just sit yourself down on a patch of grass for half an hour or half the day if you fancy it. I don't know how you've managed to link such a normal recreational habit of sitting on grass on a sunny day as being anti-paying for water which every single person in the country always paid for anyway, long before this Irish water scam was thought up.

Was it just me, or in its initial year, was there more things to actually buy other than the dozen food and snack tents that seem to make up the majority of the market?
    The amount of stalls has been reducing year on year as well

Eventually it'll reach a point where the Christmas Market in Eyre Square will be covered in nothing but the stalls selling those ridiculously oversized hotdogs and a beer tent.

• Advertisement

Eventually it'll reach a point where the Christmas Market in Eyre Square will be covered in nothing but the stalls selling those ridiculously oversized hotdogs and a beer tent.

And probably overpriced as well. Yes, that's all that Galway needs now:more drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

And probably overpriced as well. Yes, that's all that Galway needs now:more drink.

Ah, come on now..don't be such a dry sh1te! Kidding! Yes, it would be nice if there was more going on that's not tied in with alcohol but in fairness, they need to cater to demand and in fairness, the people demand alcohol.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Ah, come on now..don't be such a dry sh1te! Kidding! Yes, it would be nice if there was more going on that's not tied in with alcohol but in fairness, they need to cater to demand and in fairness, the people demand alcohol.

But there is no end to the amount of pubs around the place already.

I rarely indulge, and am dismayed by the central place alcohol has in people's lives and especially the young.

I'm almost hesitant to post this, seeing as I really want this grass debate shíte to end, but surely we can all agree that people are prioritising their desire to sit on the grass for nice weathery/summer times, whereas the Christmas market is occupying the space until the end of December?

Why in the name of baby Jesus on a Kawasaki can't the grass be treated in early January, and be ready for human use by March? I'm no botanist, but I've seen how fast reseeded lawns can grow...

On a different note, I would personally like to see more crafts, and interesting things to sell in this year's Christmas market.

On another different note, I would be in favour of downsizing those hotdog and burger places, or changing the design of their stalls. The smell is so obnoxiously strong and billowing all over the place that I know some people who don't like the smell of meat have avoided the Christmas market because of it. Granted they're strictly in a minority, but 'tis important to point out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why in the name of baby Jesus on a Kawasaki can't the grass be treated in early January, and be ready for human use by March? I'm no botanist, but I've seen how fast reseeded lawns can grow...

Yes, but have you seen them grow fast in January / February? With almost no sunlight.

As has been stated a zillion times already, approx 1/3 of the grass was unaffected and thus available for sitting on for all of summer.

Not noted previously is that part of the grass patch which was cordoned off has been turned into rosebeds - people won't be sitting on that patch anyways.

I'm almost hesitant to post this, seeing as I really want this grass debate shíte to end, but surely we can all agree that people are prioritising their desire to sit on the grass for nice weathery/summer times, whereas the Christmas market is occupying the space until the end of December?

On a different note, I would personally like to see more crafts, and interesting things to sell in this year's Christmas market.

On another different note, I would be in favour of downsizing those hotdog and burger places, or changing the design of their stalls. The smell is so obnoxiously strong and billowing all over the place that I know some people who don't like the smell of meat have avoided the Christmas market because of it. Granted they're strictly in a minority, but 'tis important to point out.

I can't imagine that Baby Jesus would get very far on a Kawasaki.

But there is no end to the amount of pubs around the place already.

But its nice to have somewhere different to go and soak up the Christmas atmosphere in the beer tent at the market. I go out of my way every year to get into the beer tent at least once or twice and I'd be very disappointed if it wasn't there again this year. I also wouldn't go to it down the Spanish arch or else where only if its in the square.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

But its nice to have somewhere different to go and soak up the Christmas atmosphere in the beer tent at the market. I go out of my way every year to get into the beer tent at least once or twice and I'd be very disappointed if it wasn't there again this year. I also wouldn't go to it down the Spanish arch or else where only if its in the square.

wow absolutely no debate of better locations with you then... this way or no way attitude is awesome.

so long and thanks for all the fish..

Yes, but have you seen them grow fast in January / February? With almost no sunlight.

True, but after 3 months, I'm sure they'll at least be a light enough smathering to satisfy people. The last time it was reseeded was well into this year...
    I can't imagine that Baby Jesus would get very far on a Kawasaki.

Maybe it's really small and still has its stabliser wheels on...

stabilisers.jpg

• Advertisement

I'm no grass expert but I don't think you can seed lawns/grass etc in January. Its still in the depths of winter with no growth. Garden lawns ie grass only starts getting frisky about March or April.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement