Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas market 2016

Options

Comments

Laviski wrote: »
    wow absolutely no debate of better locations with you then... this way or no way attitude is awesome.

so long and thanks for all the fish..

There are no better locations. Eyre Square is absolutely made for it you couldn't make a better location if you designed the city from scratch.

Its also a boring dreary place in winter without the market so the benefit is two fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

But its nice to have somewhere different to go and soak up the Christmas atmosphere in the beer tent at the market. I go out of my way every year to get into the beer tent at least once or twice and I'd be very disappointed if it wasn't there again this year. I also wouldn't go to it down the Spanish arch or else where only if its in the square.

It's a boxed aluminium framed marquee with a mobile bar installed for a few weeks during the coldest wettest time of the year, some people really are easily pleased and parted with their money

• Registered Users Posts: 14,511 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

pure.conya wrote: »
    It's a boxed aluminium framed marquee with a mobile bar installed for a few weeks during the coldest wettest time of the year, some people really are easily pleased and parted with their money

Yeah, but the craic...

You can't put a price on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Arghus wrote: »
    Yeah, but the craic...

You can't put a price on that.

For everything else there's Mastercard...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

IMO it isn't that the Christmas Market is in the wrong place - it's that the grassy park is in the wrong place!

A square in the city center should have paved open areas that different groups in the city center can use to host events throughout the year. Sure, have some grass sections around the edges and in the upper-square but not to the extent that it limits the usefulness of the space.

Look at most European cities - they have a paved square in the center and grassy parks to enjoy in sunny days further out around the center (and closer to where people actually live).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Still stuck in 2015? http://galwaychristmasmarket.ie/ . Is it going ahead this year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

J o e wrote: »
    IMO it isn't that the Christmas Market is in the wrong place - it's that the grassy park is in the wrong place!

A square in the city center should have paved open areas that different groups in the city center can use to host events throughout the year. Sure, have some grass sections around the edges and in the upper-square but not to the extent that it limits the usefulness of the space.

Look at most European cities - they have a paved square in the center and grassy parks to enjoy in sunny days further out around the center (and closer to where people actually live).

Yeah but we are where we are. The grass is damaged for a long time afterwards and there is no escaping that fact.
    No. Woodquay is a good alternative I still say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

youngrun wrote: »
    Still stuck in 2015? http://galwaychristmasmarket.ie/ . Is it going ahead this year

Never gets updated until pretty much the week of.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,511 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

For everything else there's Mastercard...?

Mastercard is also good for the craic. Or something with platinum in the title - that's best of all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

youngrun wrote: »

you will hear about the planning permission applied before it gets updated.
    if no planning submitted this month it won't be going ahead. even then it might be too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

if no planning submitted this month it won't be going ahead. even then it might be too late.

Would be a real shame and a big loss to the city.

The Meyrick are advertising that they are overlooking the Galway Christmas festival (i.e. the market) in their Christmas party advertisements. Wonder if they know something we don't or are just assuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

As it's an annual thing perhaps it doesn't require the same level of time and red tape as a new festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

or they just don't update their website either.
    in any case its being said if market is to happen this year it will not be located on the grass if it does end up in Eyre square.

be interesting to see if they try to get it pushed through without it being noticed so that people cannot submit their objections.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,442 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The Meyrick are advertising that they are overlooking the Galway Christmas festival (i.e. the market) in their Christmas party advertisements. Wonder if they know something we don't or are just assuming.

It's their licence that covers the beer tent. So either they know something or they will have a month of unhappy residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Planning application is in, re the Connacht Tribune. Pledge to not use any grass areas.

or they just don't update their website either.

It was a very up to date ad in the advertsier, was even listing which days are booked out already for parties so not from last year.

Planning application is in, re the Connacht Tribune. Pledge to not use any grass areas.

http://connachttribune.ie/christmas-market-organisers-pledge-to-keep-off-eyre-square-grass-100/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So we get an answer to OP's question - seems market will go ahead

"Subject to City Council approval over the coming weeks, the market will run from Friday, November 18 to Thursday, December 22"

I guess for once we have a happy ending for everyone; grass isn't touched and the market still goes ahead. :)

I wonder will they do the Spanish Arch one again? Plenty of 'paved areas' there.... :pac:

• Advertisement

I guess for once we have a happy ending for everyone

Lol, you're not nearly cynical enough for this forum.

PS: I didn't really laugh out loud. In reality the corners of my mouth curled slightly upwards for a fraction of a second.

Lol, you're not nearly cynical enough for this forum.

What can I say...? I think I've inadvertently given myself a frontal lobotomy with all the keyboard headbutting and face palming that I've done over the years in this place...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

bobbyss wrote: »
    Yeah but we are where we are. The grass is damaged for a long time afterwards and there is no escaping that fact.
    No. Woodquay is a good alternative I still say.

WoodQuay would be a great option,but won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

WoodQuay would be a great option,but won't happen.

You never know. Next year they could see sense and relocate. Bar the traffic consideration, which I think is overplayed, it is a perfect location.

Woodquay would be a terrible location, the square is the place for the market not an important carparking area and busy city centre traffic route. Its basically a sightly wider than normal city street how on earth can it be seen as a good location for a market compared to the open space and central location of the square. You couldn't make up these excuses being made over a bit of bloody grass that the majority of people don't give a damn about.

Its like saying lets play a soccer match in the scrub along dyke road as its a better location than the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

You couldn't make up these excuses being made over a bit of bloody grass that the majority of people don't give a damn about

What are you taking about, plenty of people give a damn about how the centre of our city looks to tourists for months after a shïtty Christmas market full of ripped off non locals selling way overpriced piles of shîte to what I can only describe as prized gob****es for buying into it all. Don't even get me started on about the lunatics who maintain the freezing cold beer tent is any sort of an attraction while surrounded by cosy warm bars, restaurants and cafes, and the extra special delusional minds that quite proudly state the temporary bar in a marqueue for 3 weeks only in the month of December is pratically the highlight of their Christmas.

pure.conya wrote: »
    What are you taking about, plenty of people give a damn about how the centre of our city looks to tourists for months after a shïtty Christmas market full of ripped off non locals selling way overpriced piles of shîte to what I can only describe as prized gob****es for buying into it all. Don't even get me started on about the lunatics who maintain the freezing cold beer tent is any sort of an attraction while surrounded by cosy warm bars, restaurants and cafes, and the extra special delusional minds that quite proudly state the temporary bar in a marqueue for 3 weeks only in the month of December is partically the highlight of their Christmas.

62773841.jpg

It's the novelty of the whole thing that people buy into; the atmosphere and excitement of impending Christmas... People coming home for the holidays, being on the cusp of a new year, corndogs... Guaranteed if it existed all year round, it would be doomed to failure and people wouldn't give a flying potato shít.

I like the beer tent, not because it's anything mind blowing but because it is that slightly bit different. Mulled wine, hot rum, steiners of good German beer, a different ambiance and catchment of people than you'd find in the pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

There hasn't been real Christmas trees sold at the market since the first one has there? I loved the smell and the atmosphere created by the Christmas tree sellers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Woodquay would be a terrible location, the square is the place for the market not an important carparking area and busy city centre traffic route. Its basically a sightly wider than normal city street how on earth can it be seen as a good location for a market compared to the open space and central location of the square. You couldn't make up these excuses being made over a bit of bloody grass that the majority of people don't give a damn about.
    Its like saying lets play a soccer match in the scrub along dyke road as its a better location than the pitch.
    Just remove the, eh, removable cars. Hey presto, a huge space for a market.
    Was that not what it was a century ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 willj85

The Grass is safe thank the heavens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement