Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas market 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

On Sundays all street parking around Eyre square is free apart from the docks obviously

Ya true - but same goes for the all the City streets.
    The City Council Car parks are free on Sundays as well.
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/traffic-transport-parking/parking-galway-information/#3

The one thing that may not be suitable with regards the Christmas Market for Woodquay though would be the Beer Hall/Tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Perhaps I did but i would disagree that it's off topic. People will use many transport modes to get to and from the Christmas market. People will drive and car parking provision is something that would be considered. Point around Woodquay been unsuitable was that it would remove Car parking but has been shown large amount of car parking is available near by.

I was trying to gauge whether it was off topic or not, hence why I asked you
    In general, or for the extent of a potential Christmas market?

To which you replied
    Does it matter?

Leading me to believe that you had no interest in actually clarifying or adhering to the specific topic, instead opting to follow a flow of discussion closer to your own personal desires and ultimately dismissive of the original thread topic.

I am always willing to give posters scope, but this has created an off topic deviation of general parking talk, so I once again ask you all that things be kept on the topic of the Christmas market and specifics pertaining to it.

In general, or for the extent of a potential Christmas market?

My bad. If you had your MOD voice on I would have taken your repsonse more seriously.
    I just presumed you meant for general markets v's christmas market. That is why I said "Does it matter?"

My bad. If you had your MOD voice on I would have taken your repsonse more seriously.
    I just presumed you meant for general markets v's christmas market. That is why I said "Does it matter?"

Haha. Fair enough... Cross'd wires on both our parts! *ahem* ;)

• Advertisement

The one thing that may not be suitable with regards the Christmas Market for Woodquay though would be the Beer Hall/Tent.

Placement wise? It is large, but there's a massive area outside Woodquay stores/McGinn's that could accommodate a large building without being too obtrusive on the surrounding businesses/residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Placement wise? It is large, but there's a massive area outside Woodquay stores/McGinn's that could accommodate a large building without being too obtrusive on the surrounding businesses/residents.

Can't imagine any of the Woodquay residents being too happy with it, would add a huge amount of noise/mess to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Can't imagine any of the Woodquay residents being too happy with it, would add a huge amount of noise/mess to the area.

Provided it closed at 10pm as pet the tent last year,then I can't see resident's concerns being taken too seriously.

The fact that road lanes would need to be kept able to be used for deliveries would limit the space a bit, too.

It closes at a reasonable hour though, no? About 10pm, I think. Granted, the noise and mess until that hour will be drastically more so than with the current pubs... Maybe a tokenistic gift from the organisers to the residents? One free pass to Santie's grotto or the like... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

What would be wrong with the area where the oil tanks used to be down the docks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

What would be wrong with the area where the oil tanks used to be down the docks?

Not much wrong there...:D
    bonzodog2 wrote: »
    IMHO the Christmas Market should be by the docks where the oil tanks were

It closes at a reasonable hour though, no? About 10pm, I think. Granted, the noise and mess until that hour will be drastically more so than with the current pubs... Maybe a tokenistic gift from the organisers to the residents? One free pass to Santie's grotto or the like... :pac:
    Ara one free pass!! Where's your festive spirit?

Nothing whatsoever wrong with it, great location. With two other small ones in the Square and Spanish Arch, similar to how the likes of Dusseldorf and Koln do theirs, albeit on a far better level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

That's where the ice rink and Winter Wonderland funfair were at the same time as the market a few years ago. We thought that was a great combination having both (plus corndogs).

Very exposed to the weather.

Also, not a place where many people would naturally walk.

That's where the ice rink and Winter Wonderland funfair were at the same time as the market a few years ago. We thought that was a great combination having both (plus corndogs).

You could move that to the top of Eyre square or to the car park behind the harbour hotel.

It's out of the way, a big miserable looking piece of concrete and very open to the elements. Going to be very difficult to create the great atmosphere you have in eyre square in a place like that. Particulay if the weather is bad people wont go that far down as its not easy to get to other pubs etc. Have been in the beer tent in bad weather a few times and it was always just a quick sprint to the skeff after for the next pint, would be a different story if it was all the way down the docks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's out of the way, a big miserable looking piece of concrete and very open to the elements. Going to be very difficult to create the great atmosphere you have in eyre square in a place like that. Particulay if the weather is bad people wont go that far down as its not easy to get to other pubs etc. Have been in the beer tent in bad weather a few times and it was always just a quick sprint to the skeff after for the next pint, would be a different story if it was all the way down the docks.
    'All the way' is 250m or a 3 minute walk.

snubbleste wrote: »
    'All the way' is 250m or a 3 minute walk.

Big difference to 30m to the skeff when its pouring rain. 250m is enough to leave you so wet you need to go home if the rain is heavy.

Its also out of the way and not an inviting area to spend your evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Very exposed to the weather.

Also, not a place where many people would naturally walk.

Nowhere near as exposed as the Sparch, & that proved to be a total disaster, it was closed almost as much as it was open.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

Big difference to 30m to the skeff when its pouring rain. 250m is enough to leave you so wet you need to go home if the rain is heavy.

Its also out of the way and not an inviting area to spend your evening.

About 30m to the vic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

The oil tank area is basically scrubland and very dark at night. Is there appropriate lighting there?

bobbyss wrote: »
    The oil tank area is basically scrubland and very dark at night. Is there appropriate lighting there?

Eh? Which oil tanks are ex you thinking about?

We're talking about the concretevslab on Dock Road, no scrub there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Speaking of the Dock Rd space..(it really needs a name) they appear to have put down a strip of soil adjacent footpath and planted trees facing the docks

Eh? Which oil tanks are ex you thinking about?

We're talking about the concretevslab on Dock Road, no scrub there.

Scrubland as in empty, bereft, soulless. Metaphorically speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,442 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

bobbyss wrote: »
    Scrubland as in empty, bereft, soulless. Metaphorically speaking.

Wikipedia says different but you can change that (metaphorically speaking).

quote="thesandeman;101354940"]Wikipedia says different but you can change that (metaphorically speaking).[/quote]

I wouldn't trust Wikipedia as a source of information as far as ...eh I could ..eh. throw it. Metallurgical speaking. As Fluther would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Never mind the residents, I nominate you to go on in and tell Fergie there could be a temp bar set-up in a late marquee outside his pub for the month of Dec! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I heard the cops call someone who is really hammered over the Christmas period Beer Tent Drunk

Apparently it's a thing with the Galway cops.

• Advertisement

pure.conya wrote: »
    Never mind the residents, I nominate you to go on in and tell Fergie there could be a temp bar set-up in a late marquee outside his pub for the month of Dec! LOL

Make it his idea and extend his license to run it ... problem solved.

The lads who are rumoured to be taking over the Goalpost might not be so pleased.

Hughes and the Lough Inn probably wouldn't mind so much, their customers are creatures of habit and wouldn't take to it.

Barr an Challadagh (spelling schmelling) ... who knows!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement