Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas market 2016

Options

Comments

I heard the cops call someone who is really hammered over the Christmas period Beer Tent Drunk

Apparently it's a thing with the Galway cops.

It's mighty stuff we have always ended up in an absolute hoop after drinking there even if it's only a few there at the start of the night. Mighty craic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

It's mighty stuff we have always ended up in an absolute hoop after drinking there even if it's only a few there at the start of the night. Mighty craic :D

You're so cool, I wish I was that cool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Big difference to 30m to the skeff when its pouring rain. 250m is enough to leave you so wet you need to go home if the rain is heavy.

Its also out of the way and not an inviting area to spend your evening.

It's Ireland...people who live in the city tend to cycle and walk in the rain all year long as a necessity.

Also, the parking in Woodquay is more of a hindrance to traffic than a help. Cars backing out onto the road going right towards Tesco and Dunnes slows things greatly. Arseholes seeing a spot and going the wrong way to get it. That strange junction in the middle of it. It's far too narrow for parking there.

Mean while traffic going by the hole in the wall is relatively light all day. There's a bit of traffic going from Blakes across the way but nothing major. Most of the traffic actually avoids the city center during rush hour but you'll see a lot more of it passing by Eglington and joining up by the courthouse than on any of those smaller streets.

It's time to cut off more of the city to traffic and come up with better public transportation and a better road to bypass the city center, imo.

You're so cool, I wish I was that cool!!

Keep trying, you will never get there but even half way would be worth it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Make it his idea and extend his license to run it ... problem solved.

The lads who are rumoured to be taking over the Goalpost might not be so pleased.

Hughes and the Lough Inn probably wouldn't mind so much, their customers are creatures of habit and wouldn't take to it.

Barr an Challadagh (spelling schmelling) ... who knows!

Fergie, or anybody else for that matter, would only be afforded the opportunity to run it provided the nods and winks brigade allowed them too

you have me wondering who's taking over the goalpost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

will be the last one this year,the way they have set it up has ruined it and most business' will not be returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

will be the last one this year,the way they have set it up has ruined it and most business' will not be returning.

I wouldn't agree with that. Even though it hasn't managed to recapture how class it was the first year around, I think it's probably still lucrative enough to continue into the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

and most business' will not be returning.
    Did you speak to them all, or is this just a guess from you?

It seems every year there have been plenty of businesses and when they expanded down into the Sparch last year it appears business is booming, not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Christmas market could be in doubt according to the front page of City Tribune, problems with planning application for the market and problems with established traders in the square

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Christmas market could be in doubt according to the front page of City Tribune, problems with planning application for the market and problems with established traders in the square

Any links??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Why are you talking about the Christmas Market when its not even there yet?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Why are you talking about the Christmas Market when its not even there yet?

What are u on about, I was reporting a front page story in todays City Tribune about the market could not get the link working.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Storm 10 wrote: »
    What are u on about, I was reporting a front page story in todays City Tribune about the market could not get the link working.

OK sorry, my bad.:)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I noticed on Facebook last week that they changed their Facebook page name to "Christmas in Galway" from Galway Christmas Market so I would not be surprised at all if there was no market this year.

Where will I find my overpriced and oversized hotdogs now???????

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Where will I find my overpriced and oversized hotdogs now???????

I know right. I'm wondering where I can have an overpriced cold beer with friends

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭BANNERMAN98

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I noticed on Facebook last week that they changed their Facebook page name to "Christmas in Galway" from Galway Christmas Market so I would not be surprised at all if there was no market this year.

sent them a message a few minutes ago and got the following reply:

**christmas market**

we are not running the market this year. please contact city hall to find out who they have chosen as the vendor for 2016.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

Does that mean the grass is saved?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

sent them a message a few minutes ago and got the following reply:

**christmas market**

we are not running the market this year. please contact city hall to find out who they have chosen as the vendor for 2016.

Who is 'them', I wonder? Milestone? Always thought they did a grand job of running the market

There's still a Christmas Market FB page, updated on the 21st: https://www.facebook.com/ChristmasMarketGalway/?hc_ref=SEARCH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭BANNERMAN98

Nope it's going ahead from November 18th. Confirmed from Galway city council.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Taximan (they know everything) told me the Christmas Market ' was going ahead in front of BOI/ Taxirank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I just got word from the Cranky Yankee and he won't be making the Christmas Market.

So that's it, shut it down. Shut it all down.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

bobbyss wrote: »
    Taximan (they know everything) told me the Christmas Market ' was going ahead in front of BOI/ Taxirank.

Ask a taxi-woman, they're the ones who make the decisions.

I just got word from the Cranky Yankee and he won't be making the Christmas Market.

Please tell me this isn't the corndog guy....

Corndog guy wasn't there in previous years.

Also

We haven't mentioned the grass in a while, have we?

We haven't mentioned the grass in a while, have we?

Don't you bloody dare, you scoundrel... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I believe he was there every year until last year. Too bad he can't make it. It was the best food there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's going ahead. http://connachttribune.ie/councils-festive-change-of-heart-of-christmas-market-251/

The precious is safe from the marauding hordes.

Gerry Devaney and the taxi drivers are likely very annoyed.

Applications to trade are now open: http://milestoneinventive.com/da/markets/galway-continental-christmas-market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

That doesn't sound too bad. Might be a bit small.

It could be a nightmare trafficwise though, with people constantly running across the road between the two sides.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement