Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas market 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What's a few dead people when we will have great grass in the spring :D

biko wrote: »
    What's a few dead people when we will have great grass in the spring :D

That sounds like a challenge now ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I was at the second one and herself sent me for a coffee

The guy behind the counter sounded european the way he was speaking.

I was at the back of the q by the time I got to the top there was no one around I got a shock when his accent turned to that of a native and I got a
    "how ya now bazzy"

Turns out it was one of the lads that drinks in my local didn't recognise him with his newly grown beard !!!

Continental indeed

Are they referring to it as the Continental market any more?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Are they referring to it as the Continental market any more?
    Schrodinger's Market. It's simultaneously not continental enough and too full of perfidious outsiders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

This sounds awful. It was already bad enough having it split across 2 different areas last year but now across a few different sites in Eyre Square too?

Why do people have to complain so much when we get nice things. I actually have friends flying over this year, just to visit the market. Didn't have the heart to tell them that it's gonna be a watered down, split-up version of what they have heard about.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

FitzShane wrote: »
    This sounds awful. It was already bad enough having it split across 2 different areas last year but now across a few different sites in Eyre Square too?

Why do people have to complain so much when we get nice things. I actually have friends flying over this year, just to visit the market. Didn't have the heart to tell them that it's gonna be a watered down, split-up version of what they have heard about.

where are your friends based, the amazon? i'd be ashamed of my life if i had friends that would travel from another country just to visit an overpriced market in Galway that's got practically nothing in common with actual continental christmas markets

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

pure.conya wrote: »
    where are your friends based, the amazon? i'd be ashamed of my life if i had friends that would travel from another country just to visit an overpriced market in Galway that's got practically nothing in common with actual continental christmas markets

Sorry, that's kinda sad, maybe you can make some at the Xmas market. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Sorry, that's kinda sad, maybe you can make some at the Xmas market. :)

I wouldn't bother. They're twice the price of friends in other markets and after a day or so, you're just waiting for them to leave.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

So, while the lightboards are up informing people that Eyre Square North is closed to traffic, i can't see anything on the council website about alternative routes etc. Can anyone help me out with the details please?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

So, while the lightboards are up informing people that Eyre Square North is closed to traffic, i can't see anything on the council website about alternative routes etc. Can anyone help me out with the details please?.

Turn right at the top of the square and left twice onto the headford road, or go straight past garveys and around by the AIB?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Hopefully it's a case of quality over quantity this year. They are doing a light garden which sounds nice!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Hopefully it's a case of quality over quantity this year. They are doing a light garden which sounds nice!
    As opposed to a heavy garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's only the taxi rank that's closed, not the whole north side of the square. That's why no alternative routes are posted, there aren't any needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

Does anyone know if the nuns from Belarus are coming back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Those crafty nuns have a nose for easy dosh. I've bought so many baubles off them I can confirm they'll be back for more.

Once the beer tent is there I'm happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Once the beer tent is there I'm happy!

You'll be happy to know it's there now so ;)

Have a look:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

You'll be happy to know it's there now so ;)

Have a look:

Any chance of any jacks this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

there are more than enough licenced premises providing warmth and toilet facilities spread out through the city 52 weeks of the year

• Advertisement

Flapjacks maybe :)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

pure.conya wrote: »
    there are more than enough licenced premises providing warmth and toilet facilities spread out through the city 52 weeks of the year

Ohh sorry. It's not that unreasonable to expect some toilets when you are serving people litre glasses of beer. Why should it be upto the pubs around the square to provide these facilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

Isn't there usually portaloos up on the steps or somewhere?

B_Sharp wrote: »
    Isn't there usually portaloos up on the steps or somewhere?

Was there? I genuinely didn't see them last year. When I was in the tent and asked about the toilets I was told to head out to one of the pubs.

Is the provision of toilets not a legal requirement for the beer tent like it is for restaurants?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is the provision of toilets not a legal requirement for the beer tent like it is for restaurants?

Yes. There were portaloos. If someone was told to use the ones in a surrounding pub I'd guess they must have looked like a delicate flower who couldn't handle the horrors of a portaloo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Is it the cynic in me or is there anyone else who thinks this is the biggest load of bionnach (shyte) to reach Galway. Over priced, not a Galway tradition and all totally fake German made up market thingy.

Dont me wrong, I'm all up for a German themed pub but not this faily tail rubbish. Is it not possible to put our owned Christmas themed market instead of this medodin?

According to the operators on radio this morning, the majority of stand traders will be local or Irish this year. It will be less of a continental market this year compared to the previous 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Paddico wrote: »
    Is it the cynic in me or is there anyone else who thinks this is the biggest load of bionnach (shyte) to reach Galway. Over priced, not a Galway tradition and all totally fake German made up market thingy.

Dont me wrong, I'm all up for a German themed pub but not this faily tail rubbish. Is it not possible to put our owned Christmas themed market instead of this medodin?

Why are you shouting? We can hear you just fine... :pac:
    According to the operators on radio this morning, the majority of stand traders will be local or Irish this year. It will be less of a continental market this year compared to the previous 6 years.

I thought the first year was quite good in representation of Irish crafts and goods. Hopefully it will be more like that again. I'll be interested to see it when it's all up and running anyway.

What's the deal with the big tower yoke outside BOI? Looks like one of those spinny, pukey things... Some view from the top I'd say! :P

• Advertisement

What's the deal with the big tower yoke outside BOI? Looks like one of those spinny, pukey things... Some view from the top I'd say! :P

It's a big ferris wheel in the making.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement