Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas market 2016

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Paddico wrote: »
    Is it the cynic in me or is there anyone else who thinks this is the biggest load of bionnach (shyte) to reach Galway. Over priced, not a Galway tradition and all totally fake German made up market thingy.
    Dont me wrong, I'm all up for a German themed pub but not this faily tail rubbish. Is it not possible to put our owned Christmas themed market instead of this medodin?
    Yeah, I mentioned that in the first thread a number of years ago. I was rubbished for being pessimistic.
    It is over hyped, over priced and over here.

GRASS!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,443 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

GRASS!

#

It's a big ferris wheel in the making.

According to the Galway Independent the Ferris wheel will have a VIP area. Sounds strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

According to the Galway Independent the Ferris wheel will have a VIP area. Sounds strange.

They're probably referring to the carriages. The plebs will have to hang to the side

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

A watered down version of the FF tent at the races!

Well, one thing for sure, the champagne will be watered down.

Why on earth would they want to introduce segregation like that at what is supposed to be a festive family orientated event?

Answer:

GREED GREED GREED.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Any chance of any jacks this year?
    Ohh sorry. It's not that unreasonable to expect some toilets when you are serving people litre glasses of beer. Why should it be upto the pubs around the square to provide these facilities?
    Is the provision of toilets not a legal requirement for the beer tent like it is for restaurants?
    Was there? I genuinely didn't see them last year. When I was in the tent and asked about the toilets I was told to head out to one of the pubs.

there are public toilets located at the top of Eyre Sq, they're cleaned after every use so no stinky port-a-loos for the divas out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Is it the cynic in me or is there anyone else who thinks this is the biggest load of bionnach (shyte) to reach Galway. Over priced, not a Galway tradition and all totally fake German made up market thingy.

Dont me wrong, I'm all up for a German themed pub but not this faily tail rubbish. Is it not possible to put our owned Christmas themed market instead of this medodin?

Why are you shouting? We can hear you just fine... :pac:
    According to the operators on radio this morning, the majority of stand traders will be local or Irish this year. It will be less of a continental market this year compared to the previous 6 years.

I thought the first year was quite good in representation of Irish crafts and goods. Hopefully it will be more like that again. I'll be interested to see it when it's all up and running anyway.

What's the deal with the big tower yoke outside BOI? Looks like one of those spinny, pukey things... Some view from the top I'd say! :P
    Considering I type you must have some pair of ears on ya Redhair :D

Considering I type you must have some pair of ears on ya Redhair :D

It must be an eyesight issue then?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Is it the cynic in me or is there anyone else who thinks this is the biggest load of bionnach (shyte) to reach Galway.

Nah your not a cynic at all. Bionnach is a perfect word for it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

There's a short video on the galway advertiser Facebook page of the square with a short note or something saying 'square nearly ready'.

I haven't been in town all week to see what's done to the place. Of the short little video I saw on Facebook, it's looking ridiculous. Big wheel in the middle of the street beside the steps at the bank. A carousel slap bang on the path outside supermacs. Isn't that where a load of drinks gather after closing time. I can't see that working out well. I was looking forward to this but I have a feeling it will be a huge let down.

I suppose the grass has to be saved. There are nimbys in every corner of Ireland complaining about a good thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

There's a short video on the galway advertiser Facebook page of the square with a short note or something saying 'square nearly ready'.

I haven't been in town all week to see what's done to the place. Of the short little video I saw on Facebook, it's looking ridiculous. Big wheel in the middle of the street beside the steps at the bank. A carousel slap bang on the path outside supermacs. Isn't that where a load of drinks gather after closing time. I can't see that working out well. I was looking forward to this but I have a feeling it will be a huge let down.

I suppose the grass has to be saved. There are nimbys in every corner of Ireland complaining about a good thing.

Wow you seen a videi how about you Head down to the market n have a look before you judgement

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Crafty nuns are indeed back, down at the very bottom corner of the square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

Crafty nuns are indeed back, down at the very bottom corner of the square.

Woohoo. I love that stall. I bought a lovely shawl of them along with some other bits last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It opens today. I'll head down after work and check it out, suggest everyone does the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

I'm going tomorrow. Really looking forward to it! :)

It's like Christmas come earl... D'oh, yeah :D

biko wrote: »
    It opens today. I'll head down after work and check it out, suggest everyone does the same.
    Passed through it today - nothing much to see at 14h30.
    The layout is very poor.

The layout is very poor.

We can thank the grass clowns for that.

We can that the grass clowns for that.

Did you just type random words?

Passed through it today - nothing much to see at 14h30.
    The layout is very poor.

It's open, and busy. Though not as busy as other years.

I was mightily unimpressed to see this yesterday.

The older man in the photo has a walking stick. Just before him (before I had time to whip the camera out), there was an elderly woman using a walking frame. Both of them had to step down from the kerb and out into the bus area to go around the big wheel. It's a difficult curb to step down from, because the road where the buses pull in is paved and has sunk over time. Also, it's in between two very busy bus stops, where lots of injured or older people catch the 402 to go up to Merlin Park hospital for physio etc, and a good few disabled people regularly catch the 405 to work (or whatever they do) in Liosbaun.

Very poor form to have allowed it to happen, just for the sake of a bit of grass.

401885.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

No gates across that area this evening on my way through thankfully, as you say it would be a nightmare for people with limited mobility and taking up space in a bus setdown area that is very busy..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Walked through the wheel side there after work, that area just has fairground type 'win a teddybear' things and a cupla other stalls. The wheel was busy, big queue and only a fiver,thought that was surprisingly reasonable.

Very poor form to have allowed it to happen, just for the sake of a bit of grass

I doubt very much that the Big Wheel could be installed anywhere but at it's current location?
    Flat,no incline, somewhat solid road foundations to carry the weight of it. So grass has nothing to do with that.

Did you just type random words?

Yeah one mistype makes it look random, you were the best at inserting the missing word in the sentence at school were you....

I doubt very much that the Big Wheel could be installed anywhere but at it's current location?
    Flat,no incline, somewhat solid road foundations to carry the weight of it. So grass has nothing to do with that.

Ahh, where was it last year???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'm not too regular at these things but the site at the docks has had a big wheel, just can't think if it was christmas time, no big wheel in the square last year to my recollection, it'll be a great amusement for the post revelry crowd after a visit to the chipper no doubt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Ahh, where was it last year???

Why do you keep going on about the grass so much?

The Eyre Square (Galway Advertiser) Webcam went down at Approx 5.00pm Fri afternoon. Coincidence?

Eyre Square - Webcam

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Looking well, hope this makes the begrudgers of last years market think twice or are they already trying to come up with new complaints. A g(r)ass bunch altogether

https://twitter.com/galwayindo/status/799761960380329988

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

That big wheel yoke. I didn't know that was going to be there. Seems close, well it is close, to main traffic. Presumably H&S, planning requirement boxes have all been ticked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement