Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly Podcast overview

Options
  • 08-09-2016 8:40am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Since switching jobs earlier in the year, i've a much longer commute, so to fill the time each way i've started listening to a bunch of tr-relatedi podcasts. i thought it might be useful for some who may not listen to give the highlights each week so that they could pick up the odd section if they were interested.

The main 3 i listen to are:
    Cup of Tri, UK based podcast, run primarily as an advertiser for the hosts coaching service, but with decent interviews with the UK based pro's, tend to hear from Skipper a lot, but they had decent interviews, one noticable one was getting Stimpson on just after her omission from the olympic team which was brutally honest. have also had siri lindley, rebekah keat, chrissie, so they do get decent interviews . lot more chat about UK based races which can be of more interest.

Fitter Radio: NZ based, probably the best podcast i have found, host is an ex pro, co-host is a nutrition/food scienciest. good sections on nutritional stuff each week, top interviews, sometimes interesting coaches corner where they deal with an aspect of training, very good geek out where they look at some science behind the sport (two guest hosts for this, HRV and LCHF are common topics). Host is both a pointy end AGer's and coaches both Pros' and pointy AGers

IM Talk: most know this, probably the longest running show, decent interviews, a lot of shake your head moments but some decent stuff as well. don't always get to this every week.

will try and post what are the interesting sections from each show so that people can try and catch them if they are interested.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

week of August 29th

Cup of Tri: superb piece on Norseman, the host was coaching someone who did it last week, and had her on the show to talk through the race. despite having watched the videos of the race repeatedly, this was a real look at how the race works and what it takes, really really good. Also had a good interview with Mel Hauschiltd, had a tough athletic life before tri.

Sept 5th: Fitter Radio: decent interview with Jamie Turner, coach with the aussie olympic tri team officially, but was also the coach for some other athletes including someone called Gwen Jorgensson, from what he said she may have done okay? (:)). they also had a really interesting piece on HRV with a 5 minute focus on a new online course which aims to train people on what HRV is all about, interesting for those who like the science aspect of training. both the hosts and his athletes were racing 70.3WC and there was a good overview of that too

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

First the question: Where do you listen those?

Mine (listened on Stitcher):
    Endurance hour - lead by Dave Erickson, TIMEX Multisport Team member and World Triathlon Corporation "On Assignment" reporter - good show with bunch interesting interviews and overviews of his and his co hosts (Roger Thompson, also TIMEX Multisport Team member and ITU/WTC pro) season/races - some bashing and random stuff in there too, but mostly quite a nice podcast :)
    ZenTri - ex swim "pro" who has done a number of endurance events including 15 IMs. I don't like the ads, but I get why they are needed. Also, his podcasts are quite loooong, so there is a lot of random stuff in there - he does his training log, has interviews here and there (had Starky not that long ago) and he talks a looooooooooot about nutrition (TBH he is doing it weeeell too detailed and over-analyzes trainings/nutrition for my taste, but I do pick up some great ideas here and there)

i presume they are available on itunes and the common platforms, personally i use Doubletwist which is an android app with built in podcast support.

Fitter Radio this week had an interview with Tim Reed just after his 70.3 WC win. interesting to hear him describe being sick losing a lot of weight, and running at 61kg on race day.

host of the show is an ex pro who also happened to win his AG at 70.3 WC so he had a good overview of his race as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I know it's not a podcast but Jordan Rapp is writing a weekly blog entry as he transitions from IMMT to Kona. They can be found here. I found them a very good read

• Advertisement

Fitter Radio this week had a decent interview with Carrie Lester, she's put in some huge performances this year, including sub 9 at roth, one of three sub 9 IM's recently, and must be a dark horse contender for Kona

IM talk have a really good podcast done right at the finish line post race, 3 to 4 minutes interview with a bunch(and i mean a bunch) of the pros after they finished

Kienle excellent as usual, would love a 20m draft zone, but won't ask for it, because everyone would say of course the uber biker wants it. plus he recognises for the spectator it would mean a much more boring race. was asked if his biking had gotten weaker given he wasn't putting the time into his opponents he once did. said his numbers were even better, but when he came first he was the only one who had gotten teh right bike/equipment/position, and he could see what was wrong with everyone else, now there isn't a person there who isn't nailed in

skipper was great as well, really expected him to do a lot better, but said he "blew his nuts off at 60km", but "what was he going to do, take the p&$$y way out and drop out"?, so himself and will clarke suffered around together.

carfrae sounded hugely emotional. James Cunnama said jodie swallow(his other half) ran past him saying she was struggling, JN asked him what did he say to her and the answer was"so is everyone else". word :)

worth a listen if you get a chance, range of emotions is telling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

https://player.fm/series/fitter-radio-triathlon-endurance-nutrition/fitter-radio-episode-136-katja-konschak

Just so as mossym isn't the only one keeping this thread alive. One of the latest podcasts from Fitter Radio NZ features a discussion of an AG with a faster swim split than Dylan McNeice at the ITU Long Distance World Championships. There's something very voyeuristic about it, but it's compulsive listening. The feature starts from 20:59.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Seen that on Slowtwitch alright zico. Out swam all the elite males and females, she out swam Jody Swallow by 8 mins too.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Strange_swim_time_leads_to_winning_AG_World_Championship%3F_ITU_Long_Distance_Worlds_2016_P6119229/

Turns into a bit of a witch hunt but some interesting reading in it.

joey100 wrote: »
    Turns into a bit of a witch hunt but some interesting reading in it.

I'd never really followed Slowtwitch until this thread came along. Her result has since been overturned and the lady in question has now been disqualified once more. Whether this was due to that particular thread or not I don't know, but some of the contributors are taking credit for this. I don't have much sympathy for AS, but most of the posters seemed to take way too much delight in seeing her crash and burn. Then I kept going back to the thread, so am I any different?

Anyway another podcast from the same guys is this one;
    http://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-4degz-1c2dae6

It's a Kona themed podcast, but there's a doctor talking from 21:37 on nutrition/preparation/racing, etc. that is applicable to any long distance race. Her advice on using salt tablets and a few other bits and pieces goes against a lot of the perceived wisdom that is out there. I don't really know what to make of what she has to say, but it's an interesting listen. She has some specific advice for women as well. I don't understand any that, but half the people here might find it useful.

• Advertisement

Highlight of this week had to be IM talk. Its a bit about one of their sponsors, athlinks (may have spelling wrong there) but they ,in great detail discuss the performances of our own zico, using his recent Mallorca performances as an example of how you can track performances and progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Not a podcast but didn't see the need to start another thread,

Good blog on the Sutton website,

http://trisutto.com/the-95-phenomenon/

Makes good sense about holding form and technique, particularly about swimming. That it's about being able to hold form the longest you can, not about suffering. Mainly from his 1st point and the article isn't completely about suffering, especially in races, seems to be a bit more about how to train.

Then another article on another site by another coach who says how important being able to suffer is.

http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2016/12/20/how-pain-tolerance-impacts-performance

Interesting enough stuff, I find when I'm fit I probably suffer a lot better, or maybe I just think I do because I'm going faster. That and suffering being subjective, someone might not suffer at all to run a 19min 5km where someone else could really suffer to run a 21 mins 5km. Not sure how much of an impact it has at my level but I'd say at the top it makes a good difference.

I know of one or two lads who I would describe as being really good at suffering, it's nearly like they enjoy it, again I could be thinking it because they are faster than me but it's not something I think about everyone who is faster than me. Why do I think it about these? I'm not sure, maybe because I've seen how wrecked they are at the end of races. Hard to tell if I'm not being biased because of the speed they have.

Something I've thought about for a while now and my last coach pushed me on. As an example, I moved from running with music on to no music because I found that during my intervals I used the music to distract me from how I felt. When I raced with no music it felt odd and I found it hard to deal with the fatigue and pain. I definitely noticed a difference when I started doing the intervals without the music, trying to use techniques that I could use during the race and knowing what it felt like to hurt rather than distracting myself with the music.

A long enough post for what should have just been 2 links to articles!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

isnt it funny that miss ryf is wearing headphones very regularly and so does miss spirig ;-) ;-) this will have you think more joey ;-) ;-)
    edit you could use music to yur benefits depending on some factors
    and you can use a power meter to distract you or to use it to your benfit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Slightly behind on my IMTalk podcasts but i think the interview with John McAvoy is well worth a listen, on 3 fronts,
    1) How Sport can change the direction and mindset of someone and their life.
    2) How some people can play a huge part in the development of not only an athlete but a person in general. The prison guard is a perfect example of a coach and a mentor in this example.
    3) A positive attitude is a powerful tool.

Not your usual triathlon interview but i found it interesting.

Slim pickings on the podcasts for the last while, no racing going on so most of the pro's gone underground.

of note though were a couple of decent interviews on the fitter radio podcast, one with Javier Gomez, one with Faris al-Sultan. the Faris one in particular is well worth catching up with, different perspective on a lot of the current racers. really good interview. asked about setting up the middle east team he did, his reasoning wasn't sponsorhip or ease of life, simply that 3rd tier cycling pros could have matching kit and bike and look classy, and he wanted the same. makes sense.

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5253ec9de4b0dd64d4ae8aaa/t/587503786b8f5b83e010f0d7/1484063799513Episode+107+Lionel+Sanders+part+2.mp3/original/Episode+107+Lionel+Sanders+part+2.mp3

I'm not sure if you'd find this podcast on any of the shows mossym linked in his OP.

It has an interview with Lionel Sanders in which he discusses his Ironman, with a capital 'I', world record. He's fully accepting of the fact Frodeno has gone faster than him over the same distance in Roth, but he thinks he capable of a sub 7:30 IM and going to Roth himself someday to 'smash' the course. He comes across as a nice guy and despite his claims not one bit conceited.

His interviews starts after 20 minutes, before which a long time is spent talking up sponsors and answering listeners' questions.
    After the interview, they talk about hydration and drawing up a hydration plan based on how much one sweats. I couldn't tell you if this part is good or not, because I stopped listening, but I think this segment closes out the show.

zico10 wrote: »

it is the cup of tri podcast i mentioned, they have rebranded it as the oxegyn addict podcast, which is the main presenters coaching company. kind of dropped down my list after that a bit

as far as i remember though, that was a 2 part interview, so you may have another half to listen to

Matt Dixon interview here

The host is fierce annoying - not sure if it's his accent or what :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Ceepo

1st part of this podcast is about swim drills you can make up your own mind on the view of these.
    2nd part Mark Livesey interviews Jodie Cumuna

This is one of the best interviews I have come across in a long long time.
    Very open and honest interview. It's well worth a listen

https://www.spreaker.com/user/marklivesey/benefits-to-swim-drills-aids-and-intervi

Something a little different here but touches on nutrition & SnC that would be applicable to tri.

• Advertisement

doing a bit of a catch up at the moment as i wasn't commuting for 3 weeks, but IM Talk had two of note recently.
    1) interview with Joe Friel on the new triathlete traning bible, i know a lot have it, it's been completely reqorked and he goes through what he has changed

2) better was the interview they did with thorston, where he goes over his newly published 2016/167 review. lots of info on who he thinks is to watch(Patrik Nillson who gibbo rodney and myself remember flying past at Im copenhagen last year on his way to the win get s a big mention), but also some details on how he does his ratings, and why he's not that impressed with sanders arizona time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Fitter radio had an interesting interview with Camille Herron, ultra runner, with a section about taking on beer during an ultra marathon and also an interesting conversation on non payment of Pros in Challange races.

Advertisement