Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home & contents insurance / Jury duty

• 08-09-2016 8:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭

So I've been called for jury service, my home & contents insurance policy states that this is covered,

I won't incur any extra costs while doing it, I'll still get paid by my employer, but it's free money it seems, if I claim it, as it's a civic duty I assume it will not affect any future premium?

I'm actually surprised that most companies offer this cover, why do they?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

So I've been called for jury service, my home & contents insurance policy states that this is covered,

I won't incur any extra costs while doing it, I'll still get paid by my employer, but it's free money it seems, if I claim it, as it's a civic duty I assume it will not affect any future premium?

I'm actually surprised that most companies offer this cover, why do they?

It probably looks nice as a selling point.:) That said, some people can be out of pocket if their employer does not pay them whilst on jury service which is one reason a lot of people try to avoid it.

It is not a big benefit as there is probably a cap on the maximum amount payable.

Some insurers will probably pay the benefit without affecting your no claims discount if your policy has one. Check with the insurer first as practice may vary as between companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

OK thanks, it's not a huge amount, up to €400, I'll contact them once it's done & see if there is any negative aspect to claiming it, if not, I'll claim it, not often you get a few bob from an insurance company without there being some pain involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SVI40

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    It probably looks nice as a selling point.:) That said, some people can be out of pocket if their employer does not pay them whilst on jury service which is one reason a lot of people try to avoid it.

It is not a big benefit as there is probably a cap on the maximum amount payable.

Some insurers will probably pay the benefit without affecting your no claims discount if your policy has one. Check with the insurer first as practice may vary as between companies.

Your company is obliged to pay you when on jury service. It is only if you are self employed that you will loose out.

I was on jury service years ago, and one of the jurors mentioned not getting paid by her employer. A quick call to them from the Judge's clerk sorted that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OK thanks, it's not a huge amount, up to €400, I'll contact them once it's done & see if there is any negative aspect to claiming it

They may say that there will be no 'negative aspect' to your prospective claim but it will still be a 'claim' in any man's language so just remember that and if the next renewal is off the wall, you will have to declare that you had a claim when seeking other quotes so you may end up paying the money back via higher premiums over the next few years while you are locked in to your current insurer.
    if not, I'll claim it, not often you get a few bob from an insurance company without there being some pain involved

Insurance companies aren't in the business of dishing out free cash, they have mechanisms to discourage small claims so caveat emptor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Also worth knowing that if the house cover is only in 1 of a couples names then only that person will qualify for the jury duty cover, make sure your policy is in both names to get the benefit for both.

• Advertisement
Advertisement