Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus strike dublin city - take care!

Options
  • 08-09-2016 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Lads/ladies don't know about you but it felt like I needed 10 pairs of eyes this morning, it was carnage. Alot of frustrated drivers stuck in jams making rash decisions, jumping into bus lanes and any gap that opens ... take it easy the next day or two.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

jon1981 wrote: »
    Lads/ladies don't know about you but it felt like I needed 10 pairs of eyes this morning, it was carnage. Alot of frustrated drivers stuck in jams making rash decisions, jumping into bus lanes and any gap that opens ... take it easy the next day or two.

230114_908223010.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I was really surprised, didn't see much traffic at all. There was one road backed up from Ranelagh down to Leeson Street, but there is normally a queue there anyway. Was worse than normal. The rest of the roads moved pretty smoothly. I didn't see alot of extra cyclists on that route either.

I suppose my cycle (Dundrum to Merrion Square) runs pretty much along the Luas line so maybe that accounts for it, all along my route I am a relatively short walk from the Luas. Though I imagine it would have been pretty tough to get on a luas in Ranelagh this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Pffft!! You get my point!

OK it was far far far busier than normal, but that wouldn't sound dramatic enough for the situation! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

357. The number of cars i passed between rialto bridge and leeson st bridge this morning. Ive never seen it backed up that far, total gridlock!!

Way more cyclists than usual about too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I only had 1 person dive into the bus lane, which is less than normal. She was on her phone and would've hit me but for my quick braking. I expect going home it'll be much worse.

If I saw cars wanting to get out of side roads I let them too rather than ploughing on. Got a few appreciative waves for it.

Saw some nervous people on bikes too, mightnt have been on them in a while.

• Advertisement

Fian wrote: »
    I was really surprised, didn't see much traffic at all. There was one road backed up from Ranelagh down to Leeson Street, but there is normally a queue there anyway. Was worse than normal. The rest of the roads moved pretty smoothly. I didn't see alot of extra cyclists on that route either.

I suppose my cycle (Dundrum to Merrion Square) runs pretty much along the Luas line so maybe that accounts for it, all along my route I am a relatively short walk from the Luas. Though I imagine it would have been pretty tough to get on a luas in Ranelagh this morning!

I come in from Howth road , fairview, amiens St and up the quays so perhaps it was just that route ?! Anyway it was bumper to bumper , I cycle all year round , all weather and not seen it like this in a long time .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I came in from Templeogue Bridge through town to Swords. It was more or less a solid line of traffic all the way to Christchurch. Slow going in places with cars close to the kerb. Dorset St. was no busier than usual but Drumcondra was a bit nuts - especially at the bridge. Plenty of drivers assuming that the bus lanes are fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Nutgrove to Bluebell was very busy. Usually only this bad when we have bad weather. I slowed it down a bit and just took extra caution. Going slowly really lets you see how many people are on their phones while in traffic. If i was bothered getting a bike camera i could start a thread berating drivers 8-) .

Not looking forward to having to drive the wife into the city at 5pm to work. Perhaps ill just drop her to the Luas

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

It was awful this morning.

Way more cyclists who aren't used to traffic. Way more cars who aren't used to cyclists. Way more pedestrians wandering into the cycle lanes.

And bikes that only ever get used during transport strikes so dodgy brakes and gears.

I'm absolutely dreading the cycle home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

crosstownk wrote: »
    Dorset St. was no busier than usual but Drumcondra was a bit nuts - especially at the bridge.
    yep, my wife walked into work - said the traffic down ballymun road and mobhi road, and across to drumcondra was mental, but town itself seemed normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

yep, my wife walked into work - said the traffic down ballymun road and mobhi road, and across to drumcondra was mental, but town itself seemed normal.

Yes! Mobhi road was chaos!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

jon1981 wrote: »
    I come in from Howth road , fairview, amiens St and up the quays so perhaps it was just that route ?! Anyway it was bumper to bumper , I cycle all year round , all weather and not seen it like this in a long time .

Funny, I come in pretty much the same route and I didn't notice too much difference. If anything, having no buses frees the bus lanes and avoid the constant stop-start with the buses.

Of course it could be that I am too focused on myself to even care about the rest of the traffic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Bray to D1 via Blackrock didn't seem any busier than usual this morning to me. Traffic was actually substantially lighter than yesterday on the Blackrock bypass and while there were a few extra wobblers around on their christmas bikes, I was expecting far more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Good to see a lot more people taking to the bike this morning. Lot's of huffin' and puffin', squeaky beaters, layers of hi-viz and kids helmets worn at a jaunty angle.

Nearly everyone stopped on red. There was no hand-to-hand combat and the social order didn't break down.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

daragh_ wrote: »
    Good to see a lot more people taking to the bike this morning. Lot's of huffin' and puffin', squeaky beaters, layers of hi-viz and kids helmets worn at a jaunty angle.

Nearly everyone stopped on red. There was no hand-to-hand combat and the social order didn't break down.

Give it time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

daragh_ wrote: »

Apart from the usual suspects on Mount St bridge!

Please - cyclists of Mount St bridge, I plead with you, stop trying to run me over when I'm crossing the road on green!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

My usual route is grand canal to bluebell then inchicore, johns road, north quays. I left home about 20 minutes later than usual and there seemed to be much less traffic than usual around. Could have been that everyone else had just left early but it was one of the most pleasant cycles in that ive had :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

sullivlo wrote: »
    It was awful this morning.

Way more cyclists who aren't used to traffic. Way more cars who aren't used to cyclists. Way more pedestrians wandering into the cycle lanes.

And bikes that only ever get used during transport strikes so dodgy brakes and gears.

I'm absolutely dreading the cycle home.
    i am of the same opinion, stay off the Quays this evening if you can, I dont fancy playing Russian Roulette with some pissed off driver while trying to get on to Parkgate St & into the PP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Worse than the POB wobblers on Christmas bikes are the super confident GAA shorts wearing speed demons on hybrids weaving through traffic and blasting through all lights :eek:. They're all out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Why aren't the bus lanes 'fair game'? If feck all busses are using the bus lanes and theres extra cars on the roads because of that, then logically traffic should move better if all the road was used. Equally that twat Ross could declare the port Tunnel free for duration of bus strike. Time to start negotiating with private operators to take on some routes? (Strike doesn't affect me directly, but I sympathise with commuters)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

I agree joeysoap, but the argument (and not my opinion) is that busses aren't the only services that use the bus lane - i.e. taxis, private bus operators etc so because they aren't exclusively "bus lanes" they're not sitting there empty during the bus strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

joeysoap wrote: »
    Why aren't the bus lanes 'fair game'? If feck all busses are using the bus lanes and theres extra cars on the roads because of that, then logically traffic should move better if all the road was used. Equally that twat Ross could declare the port Tunnel free for duration of bus strike. Time to start negotiating with private operators to take on some routes? (Strike doesn't affect me directly, but I sympathise with commuters)

Apart from Shane Ross saying because it would be illegal to use the bus lanes I think they're afraid they traffic congestion wouldn't be an issue anymore if they opened up all those extra lanes of road to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

SarahS2013 wrote: »
    I agree joeysoap, but the argument (and not my opinion) is that busses aren't the only services that use the bus lane - i.e. taxis, private bus operators etc so because they aren't exclusively "bus lanes" they're not sitting there empty during the bus strike.

Don't forget that cyclists use them too.................... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

joeysoap wrote: »

The only reason they are free moving is that cars don't use them. Fill them with cars and they will be as slow as the other lanes.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/record-number-of-cyclists-commute-into-dublin-1.2656933

Also cars can use the tunnel. Its €10. Most probably less than a taxi fare for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Apart from Shane Ross saying because it would be illegal to use the bus lanes I think they're afraid they traffic congestion wouldn't be an issue anymore if they opened up all those extra lanes of road to all.

Also because all buses aren't on strike and taxi's use them also

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Ok fair points, I know the tunnel is €10 but should it be waived during bus strikes? Maybe cheaper than a taxi but still 2 x €10 a day..... Would it free up much space on the roads if it were 'freed' up?

just been reported - cyclist killed in the city this morning - tragic - RIP

http://www.98fm.com/Cyclist-Killed-in-City-Crash

link?

http://www.98fm.com/Cyclist-Killed-in-City-Crash

that was 2 days go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Link goes to a story from Tuesday, for Seville Place.

Advertisement