Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus strike dublin city - take care!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Apart from Shane Ross saying because it would be illegal to use the bus lanes I think they're afraid they traffic congestion wouldn't be an issue anymore if they opened up all those extra lanes of road to all.
    Or the fact that there's a number of private and BE buses that use them? One element of mass public transport isn't running, but you'd be feckin things up even more for the non Dublin Bus.

On my route (N11) I'd imagine, for example, the St Kevin's/ Glendalough bus would've done good business today once it was off the mountain this morning (it's already used by a good few from Bray/ Shankill/ Loughlinstown anyway). Using that route are also several BE routes, Wexford Bus, Aircoach, and a number of private operators around UCD.

That's before you get on to other legal users of bus lanes like cyclists and taxis (and emergency services), and other not so legal but blind eye turned such as motorbikes and scooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

joeysoap wrote: »
    Ok fair points, I know the tunnel is €10 but should it be waived during bus strikes? Maybe cheaper than a taxi but still 2 x €10 a day..... Would it free up much space on the roads if it were 'freed' up?

Any space freed up for cars is filled by cars until it is no longer free space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Ok fair points, I know the tunnel is €10 but should it be waived during bus strikes? Maybe cheaper than a taxi but still 2 x €10 a day..... Would it free up much space on the roads if it were 'freed' up?

Unlikely. D.1 is a bottleneck to get to anywhere else. Unless you are going to D.1 or Dublin Port or nearby its hardly worth it.

Most people stick to the same route never changing. Regardless of alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

jon1981 wrote: »
    I come in from Howth road , fairview, amiens St and up the quays so perhaps it was just that route ?! Anyway it was bumper to bumper , I cycle all year round , all weather and not seen it like this in a long time .

I heard it was busy along there this morning but strangely the coast from Howth to Alfie Byrne road seemed less busy than usual to me. I had been expecting bumper to bumper - pleasant surprise really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

All that would achieve would be tailbacks all around the East Link bridge/point depot, as well as all the other approaches to the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

jon1981 wrote: »
    Lads/ladies don't know about you but it felt like I needed 10 pairs of eyes this morning, it was carnage. Alot of frustrated drivers stuck in jams making rash decisions, jumping into bus lanes and any gap that opens ... take it easy the next day or two.

I was very disappointed with the other people this morning. Just another bog standard commute. No CARnage in sight. disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Why aren't the bus lanes 'fair game'? If feck all busses are using the bus lanes and theres extra cars on the roads because of that, then logically traffic should move better if all the road was used. Equally that twat Ross could declare the port Tunnel free for duration of bus strike. Time to start negotiating with private operators to take on some routes? (Strike doesn't affect me directly, but I sympathise with commuters)
    My understanding about the bus lanes is that there is technically no provision in law to just postpone the operation of bus lanes on a whim. The bus lanes operate according to the hours on the signage unless a official order has been signed suspending the lane.

Red tape, but you can see the issue if Ross was to just declare the bus lanes a free-for-all without any kind of legal backing for it.

Realistically the NTA/NRA should be using these kinds of opportunities to encourage people to experiment with alternate ways of commuting. Tell people to get out on their bikes and give it a go. With no busses operating, today is great time to have a go at cycling into work down the bus lanes.

Things seemed a little busier this morning, a few more rash decisions being made, but most likely people in a rush who didn't realise the traffic would be heavier. I saw waaaay more kids walking to school than usual.

Probably not as bad as I was expecting - with a lot more workplaces being flexible on hours and home working, the ability of DB and other unions to have a major impact has been reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Peterx wrote: »
    I was very disappointed with the other people this morning. Just another bog standard commute. No CARnage in sight. disappointing.

Pick a more interesting route :)

I'll upload my youtube footage of my commute...oh wait I'm not a tosser :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

seamus wrote: »

Realistically the NTA/NRA should be using these kinds of opportunities to encourage people to experiment with alternate ways of commuting. Tell people to get out on their bikes and give it a go. With no busses operating, today is great time to have a go at cycling into work down the bus lanes.

This is interesting. I live about 6-7km from o'connell st on the northside, a stones throw really, which is a commutable by bike distance for most levels of fitness.
    . When I do get the bus , I have about 5 bus options and they tend to fill up quickly between my stop and O'Connell st, if 80% of those ppl used a bicycle I reckon we would have major problem with cycling congestion.
    you can't win :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

SarahS2013 wrote: »
    I agree joeysoap, but the argument (and not my opinion) is that busses aren't the only services that use the bus lane - i.e. taxis, private bus operators etc so because they aren't exclusively "bus lanes" they're not sitting there empty during the bus strike.

Not to mention Emergency vehicles.

If you live within 4/5 km of City centre, walking is not an unrealistic option. I regularly walk about 4-4.5 km to work. I get a lift half way and walk the rest. These are on the days I don't cycle to give the legs a break and listen to some music. I've walked 8+ km too at times as being in traffic doesn't interest me.

There are dozens of people in my apartment block, many of whom work in town. None of them bothered to pool.

There are countless hack bikes laying in sheds that could've been put to use today.

Some people require their cars, I get that, but as I keep saying, Dublin is a small place, it's easily manageable on nothing more than a bike for most distances more most people, many of the distances are equally possible on foot but still people insist on using cars.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    There are dozens of people in my apartment block, many of whom work in town. None of them bothered to pool.
    partly due to sunk cost fallacy, i suspect.
    as in 'i've spent all this money on my car and i'll have wasted it if i leave it sitting in the driveway/parking space, and get a lift from a neighbour instead'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Some loons out there today. The cycle path along the grand canal was treacherous

Link goes to a story from Tuesday, for Seville Place.

good ....well in that case I'm glad of my mistake and that it wasn't another accident this morning. Apologies;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Some loons out there today. The cycle path along the grand canal was treacherous

When is it not?

P_1 wrote: »
    When is it not?

Ah it's normally passable but this morning was a lot worse than usual. Got stuck behind two motorcyclists doing 10/15kph in the cycle lane along two different stretches.

Also some lad gave it all he had to get by me going the hill at clonskeagh, I decided to tuck in behind and took the tow up to the Goat

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ah it's normally passable but this morning was a lot worse than usual. Got stuck behind two motorcyclists doing 10/15kph in the cycle lane along two different stretches.

Also some lad gave it all he had to get by me going the hill at clonskeagh, I decided to tuck in behind and took the tow up to the Goat

yeah you don't exactly sound like captain safety either

lawred2 wrote: »
    yeah you don't exactly sound like captain safety either

When somebody gives it beans to get by and hasn't the legs to get away why would I back off? Also I wasn't exactly rubbing tyres with him but just close enough to grab a pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

When somebody gives it beans to get by and hasn't the legs to get away why would I back off? Also I wasn't exactly rubbing tyres with him but just close enough to grab a pull.

I thought it was just me:"dude if you pass me you better burn me cos this is my route, and I'm the one who does all the burning around here". I win by default if he's a RLJ.

I though it was just me:"dude if you pass me you better burn me cos this is my route, and I'm the one who does all the burning around here". I win by default if he's a RLJ.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming to be a speed demon, I tip along at a handy pace on the way to work but this guy put in an awful struggle and grunt to get by then his legs deserted him. At that point I wasn't going to just pass him again for the sake of it so I took the tow up the hill

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Crazy number of cars in Crumlin this morning. Clogher Road was stationary from the canal back up to the junction with Sundrive Road - never saw it that busy. Once I got onto the canal it was bumper to bumper there as well. I got lucky at a couple of red lights, they turned green just as I arrived so I could drop the once-a-year cyclists without too much hassle. There was definitely a lot of inexperienced riders out there - totally over-dressed and wobbling about the place. Hopefully they all got into work/school/college safely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

It is the journey back that everyone should look out for. I think a good amount came into work early today. Very heavy though Fairview towards Connolly station. I saw plenty of cars using the bus lanes,, even the odd kids bike being used. :) I will be taking it slow with my high viz and lights on going home, taxis are more of a hazard now of course with clear bus lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Got stuck behind two motorcyclists doing 10/15kph in the cycle lane along two different stretches.

This is getting to be a pretty common occurance along the Grand canal now. I don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

With the rain combining with the strike I expect the return route may be difficult for some this evening.

Take it handy all.....probably not a day to be chasing personal bests on the commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I left the office about twenty minutes early to try and avoid the madness(and the rain!). My commute was fine for the most part heading from Fairview to Killiney. Things got worse the closer to home i got, and had a couple of extremely close passes (less than 10cm from bars to wing mirror). Glad i avoided that rain, i'd say things are far from pretty out there at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Going slowly really lets you see how many people are on their phones while in traffic. If i was bothered getting a bike camera i could start a thread berating drivers 8-)

More to the point, linked at the lane pulling up to traffic lights - networked cameras that could recognise licence plates and photograph drivers and automatically issue and send out parking fines - would end this practice, and from what I've seen the fines would match the Apple billions.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't agree with the idea that enforcement is correlated with safety.

There is a lot of enforcement in London and those mofos be crazy like.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Lumen wrote: »
    I don't agree with the idea that enforcement is correlated with safety.

There is a lot of enforcement in London and those mofos be crazy like.

Its worth a try all the same though eh?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Boss told everyone to go 30 mins early, seemed like lots of others had the same idea. Loads of drivers in bus lane on drumcondra and swords rd.

Normally when that happens I'll stay in bus lane and passively aggressively slow them down but today they were just being inconsiderate arses.

Taxi drivers don't seem to beep too often at cars that shouldn't be in their lane, not as brave it seems though some were definitely getting frustrated

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Worse than the POB wobblers on Christmas bikes are the super confident GAA shorts wearing speed demons on hybrids weaving through traffic and blasting through all lights :eek:. They're all out today.

Brilliant, I genuinely laughed out loud reading this. Those lads act like maniacs when they're out.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what an evening for a bus strike though; my wife decided to walk home from town, but i had to hop in the car and meet her halfway. she'd abandoned the umbrella as being useless at that point.

Advertisement