Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus strike dublin city - take care!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

Commuting home from Dun Laoghaire this evening at 4.
    There was definitely a different feel to the traffic on the roads this evening.
    Not just that there was more of it, everything seemed edgier.
    Traffic giving a few cms less than usual, more impatient overtakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I don't find the mofos be crazier in London, just my own experience, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Cycled over 7km from work to Smithfield to get my pack for the GDBR and then home. I left work at the normal time just after 4pm and got a Dublin bike. I actually thought traffic was lighter than normal. I even got 2 PB's. Faster than on my road bike!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

josip wrote: »
    Not just that there was more of it, everything seemed edgier.
    in the 'i've just taken too much LSD and there are guys with AK47s here' way?

maybe i've taken too much LSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I left Swords for Terenure in the pi$sings of rain. At Whitehall, my luck got even better - a puncture :rolleyes:

As I approached town the traffic was mental - especially where the new Luas lines are being installed at Lower Dorset St.

There were significantly less cyclists about compared to this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

crosstownk wrote: »

There were significantly less cyclists about compared to this morning.

The canals and the liffey are probably full of discarded bikes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Pretty busy this morning firhouse to north quays when it's usually quiet (7.00am). Lots of non-pedallars on the canal, rolling at about 8km/h. Apart from being a lot busier, I didn't see anything out of the ordinary from motorists, mostly just poor behaviour from cyclists.
    Hungrycol wrote: »
    ...the super confident GAA shorts wearing speed demons on hybrids weaving through traffic and blasting through all lights :eek:. They're all out today.

Haha, I never realised this stereotype until you pointed it out. Had one of these with me from templeogue bridge all the way into town. What was probably once a decent enough hybrid, now a rusty POS, grinding gears and about 4 PSI between both tyres, milling through every red light only for me to have to overtake him again. Another red light, repeat. This wasn't the usual slow down, have a look and go for it, it was just blatent "**** you I'm coming through". At sundrive crossroads, there were about 8 bikes waiting so he went up onto the footpath to avoid, and then straight through without even looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭dreamerb

I waited out the rain, and it was a bit busier than usual ca 6.30. Bar one "You're-on-a-bike-I-must-overtake-yes-even-in-the-face-of-oncoming-traffic-and-therefore-very-close" driver, it was fine... He got to the back of the next traffic queue a good second earlier, I did a disappointed headshake at him a few seconds later before disappearing into the distance. Only difference is probably that traffic levels made sure he couldn't catch up do do the same again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Noted some aggressive style driving this morning, but not too near me.

This evening was different. I was waiting to head down Clare St from South Leinster St (basically the end of 'Nassau St'). I stay all the way over on the right near the National Gallery to avoid cars that want to head left down Lincoln Place rather than right onto Clare St.. I can also cross the junction in a shorter faster line than the cars from this angle and I have a better road position to control the lane.

However, this evening, the lights change, I get a small slip in my gears and don't take off as swiftly as usual. I'm still in charge of the lane and I'm still going to reach the narrow point in the junction at the island first. The flecker in the taxi who was waiting beside me on the left for about a minute seems to have forgotten that I'm in front of him now as he starts to swing towards me. I'm staring in his window at him with a "what the hell are you doing?" expression etched on my face. I can still get to the island first, but I will be hit by this fool on my left before I get to the other side of it.

The driver is leaning forward in his seat staring off into the distance as I decide to jam on and he barrels through my line. I'm about 30cms from him (that's the driver himself, never mind the car!) as he bullies his way through.

Needless to say I was waiting at the lights with the same eejit just down the road. I can't really explain why I didn't say anything to him as I was fuming, but I decided to let the karmic balance fix the universe instead.

Then I got puncture before I got home.
    Thanks a bunch, Karma!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Danbo! wrote: »

Haha, I never realised this stereotype until you pointed it out. Had one of these with me from templeogue bridge all the way into town. What was probably once a decent enough hybrid, now a rusty POS, grinding gears and about 4 PSI between both tyres, milling through every red light only for me to have to overtake him again. Another red light, repeat. This wasn't the usual slow down, have a look and go for it, it was just blatent "**** you I'm coming through". At sundrive crossroads, there were about 8 bikes waiting so he went up onto the footpath to avoid, and then straight through without even looking.

That kind of reminds my of what I saw today.

I rolled inside the cars up to the junction at the KCR. The lights were red so I stopped about 1.5m before the white line and rested my left arm on the lamp post to save me unclipping. I had now blocked cyclists from passing me - not intentional but I had to stop and as the lights were red I saw no issue. Anyway, some lad obviously saw me and went around the outside of the cars to get past - he looked at me and shook his head disapprovingly at me for holding up the show then he continued on and sailed through the red light. I had hoped to catch up with him and ask what the head shaking was all about but I got caught at the pedestrian lights just after Ravensdale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭dreamerb

crosstownk wrote: »
    [...] but I got caught at the pedestrian lights just after Ravensdale.
    See that's your problem. You have this terribly technical view that red lights mean "stop"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Not much worse than usual on the way in. I'm not buying the "CHAOS ON THE ROADS" line the newspapers are pumping out. It was a lot worse around the city centre on the way home (although the SCR was oddly quiet) but I put that down to the perplexing fact that in Ireland, people apparently forget how to use the roads when it rains.

If it is true that they can't just cancel the bus lanes then that is a fortuitous coincidence. The north quays bus lane which I use each morning is used by huge numbers of taxis, cyclists and private bus companies. On a day when each one of those is being used more than usual I don't think it's a good idea to remove their priority. Shane Ross actually did something I agree with, I'm slightly surprised.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's normal to hear that during a bus strike, that it's not open season on bus lanes. i don't think shane ross had a huge input into that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

it's normal to hear that during a bus strike, that it's not open season on bus lanes. i don't think shane ross had a huge input into that decision.
    True, but his line that they can't be opened to cars because it's the law means that some will view that as an opportunity to amend the laws.

He shouldn't have given any validation to the request to open bus lanes to cars other than to say it's not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Traffic this morning around Glasnevin/Mobhi Road/Phibsboro was chaos. I was dreading Whitworth road and Gardiner street.

But both were empty! The cars obviously couldn't get to them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Maybe it's time for bus lanes to be renamed - Priority lanes or something. Most drivers forget the lanes are also allocated to a lot of other modes and types of transport.

Like people thinking Motor Tax == road tax (which is wrong).

my wife just emailed me the same thing - i decided to drop her a little way into town - went down the old ballymun road, and dropped her just past the botanic gardens, and turned around and went home. traffic was at a standstill; but she said that past the turn for whitworth road, phibsboro, capel street, and the quays were basically clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 pmeehan

Sweet baby Jesus...they're all out this morning. Cycling along towards the Yellow House in the cycle lane behind a girl on a commuter bike when all of a sudden the quick release skewer pops out of her rear wheel and the wheel buckles. Can only imagine it was the first time that bike had been used in a while!! Luckily had stayed far enough back to avoid a collision and stop to see if she was ok.

Then, turning right off Sandford Rd onto Belmont Ave, a car coming up from Ranelagh is indicating left to go down Belmont Ave. The car was easily 20 feet ahead of any bikes but, as he slowed down to take the turn, 3 cyclists all went up his inside to continue straight. Kudos to the driver for not hitting any of them!! All cyclists with no helmets on (and all female, sorry ladies but it's the truth!)

Other than that, didn't think the traffic was too bad and having the cycle lanes free is a joy when on the bike.

pmeehan wrote: »
    The car was easily 20 feet ahead of any bikes but, as he slowed down to take the turn, 3 cyclists all went up his inside to continue straight.

As a cyclist seeing other cyclists do this, it really grinds me gears!!! Have a bit of courtesy ffs and let the car who is ahead of you take the turn!

jon1981 wrote: »
    As a cyclist seeing other cyclists do this, it really grinds me gears!!! Have a bit of courtesy ffs and let the car who is ahead of you take the turn!

Exactly my sentiments as I saw this happening...it's the ignorant bliss with which they do it that really gets to me

• Advertisement

i don't drive in rush hour traffic usually, so i've nothing to compare it to, but when i was heading back northbound past the botanic gardens on botanic road, i was amazed at the number of cyclists cycling down the oncoming lane at speed. i had to take it quite carefully, as there's a couple of blind bends there.
    to be fair, it would be impossible to cycle down the inside of the lane of cars queueing on the road, heading inbound, but there was little caution shown by many of the cyclists.

Exactly my sentiments as I saw this happening...it's the ignorant bliss with which they do it that really gets to me

Totally, they are ignorantly putting their own safety in the drivers hands. They will be the very ones screaming attempted murder when they get a smack of a turning car.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

sullivlo wrote: »
    Traffic this morning around Glasnevin/Mobhi Road/Phibsboro was chaos. I was dreading Whitworth road and Gardiner street.

But both were empty! The cars obviously couldn't get to them :)

Ballymun Road was definitely worse than yesterday, although I did leave about 10 mins later today. Loads of cars deciding they were busses, taxis etc and going up the lane. Often without indicating. I don't tend to mind if they're coming up to a left hand turn shortly, but otherwise stop it.

I concur about traffic in city. I did have an inconsiderate cyclist remind me of just how slow I really am :pac:

Weepsie wrote: »
    Ballymun Road was definitely worse than yesterday, although I did leave about 10 mins later today. Loads of cars deciding they were busses, taxis etc and going up the lane. Often without indicating. I don't tend to mind if they're coming up to a left hand turn shortly, but otherwise stop it.

I concur about traffic in city. I did have an inconsiderate cyclist remind me of just how slow I really am :pac:

What a bitch :pac:

3 cyclists all went up his inside to continue straight. Kudos to the driver for not hitting any of them!! All cyclists with no helmets on (and all female, sorry ladies but it's the truth!)

Just to give the other side, I'm normally the one waiting at the lights, including pedestrian lights, and a good 90% of the time it's young fellows (ie from 17 to 30) whizzing past me and through the lights, and through the pedestrians trying to cross. Sorry, gentlemen, but it's the truth!

i don't drive in rush hour traffic usually, so i've nothing to compare it to, but when i was heading back northbound past the botanic gardens on botanic road, i was amazed at the number of cyclists cycling down the oncoming lane at speed. i had to take it quite carefully, as there's a couple of blind bends there.
    to be fair, it would be impossible to cycle down the inside of the lane of cars queueing on the road, heading inbound, but there was little caution shown by many of the cyclists.

I usually cycle that route. I'm normally there before the traffic really builds up so its not as difficult to get past. But the cyclists on the outside lane going the wrong way is dangerous. Mental. Someone will get killed because it's quite bendy.

Instead now when the traffic is bad, I turn in at the pyramid church and take the first right onto Mobhi road.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

I literally sailed in this morning, south quays were completely empty, AND I got a parking space in the office car park. #winning Hapy Friday folks! (Disclaimer: I may take ALL of this back when I try to drive home this evening!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I left earlier than usual this morning. Not as bad as yesterday at all, I didn't even have any arguments which was disappointing. Lots of cyclists out alright but behavior was no worse than usual

Deedsie wrote: »
    I agree re the naming of the bus lane. Restricted traffic lane would be another option. A picture with a bus, taxi and bicycle on every bus lane, priority traffic lane, restricted lane would help inform people a bit better.

No way. As a driver, I'd see "restricted" as meaning "oh, I'm special, I'm not restricted from driving there"!

• Advertisement

Chuchote wrote: »
    Just to give the other side, I'm normally the one waiting at the lights, including pedestrian lights, and a good 90% of the time it's young fellows (ie from 17 to 30) whizzing past me and through the lights, and through the pedestrians trying to cross. Sorry, gentlemen, but it's the truth!

Hold on a second...so you're telling me that us men, as the dominant gender, can't just make up the rules to suit ourselves...well that's just crazy talk!!

Advertisement