Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus strike dublin city - take care!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

pmeehan wrote: »
    Hold on a second...so you're telling me that us men, as the dominant gender, can't just make up the rules to suit ourselves...well that's just crazy talk!!

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

SarahS2013 wrote: »
    I literally sailed in this morning
    it wasn't *that* wet this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Chuchote wrote: »
    No way. As a driver, I'd see "restricted" as meaning "oh, I'm special, I'm not restricted from driving there"!

If we had proper enforcement that wouldn't happen. Unfortunately Gardai are woefully under resourced.
    Also I have many times been shouted at by cyclists/taxis etc for driving in a Bus Lane outside it's hours of operations, people in general have little understanding of how to behave on the roads and that comes back to training which is sub standard to say the least. Also I've gathered this week that there are driving instructors falsifying the learners book to state they had taken the required number of lessons for a small fee

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Just to give the other side, I'm normally the one waiting at the lights, including pedestrian lights, and a good 90% of the time it's young fellows (ie from 17 to 30) whizzing past me and through the lights, and through the pedestrians trying to cross. Sorry, gentlemen, but it's the truth!

Funny, cause as I too stop for all reds, I find it's mostly women of all ages that squeeze up between me and the cars in order to stand infront of me and then proceed at a snails pace forcing me to overtake so I don't die of boredom.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The car was easily 20 feet ahead of any bikes but, as he slowed down to take the turn, 3 cyclists all went up his inside to continue straight. Kudos to the driver for not hitting any of them!! All cyclists with no helmets on (and all female, sorry ladies but it's the truth!)

I have to say, I haven't noticed a distinct difference in behaviour such as this between the helmeted and unhelmeted in this or any other week. I would say that risk-taking in general does seem to be more prevalent among younger men, but that's not all that surprising.

It's my first week of doing the full commute with the two kids to school in the cargo bike. It's going fine, thankfully. Strike doesn't seem to be slowing me down at all, and the traffic isn't mental on the route I worked out.

The Sandyford Industrial Estate exit by the Stillorgan Luas stop looked very congested yesterday though. I bet a lot of people will head home early today.

• Advertisement

it wasn't *that* wet this morning.

It's fascinating (to me) that so many words go through a process of having a specific meaning and then go on to be a generic intensifier.

For example, "literally" is going through this process, "really" has pretty much gone all the way through the process ("he's really clever" is not usually used to counter a claim that he only seems to be clever), and "very" has definitely gone out the other side. No-one uses "very" to mean "truly, in truth" any more, except for some stock phrases like "the very same".

So to my surprise I am now a half-hearted defender of using "literally" as a simple intensifier.

'68 wrote:
    Funny, cause as I too stop for all reds, I find it's mostly women of all ages that squeeze up between me and the cars in order to stand infront of me and then proceed at a snails pace forcing me to overtake so I don't die of boredom.

I may be guilty of this, in that I'll always try to get up to the front and wait in the bike box, so drivers can see me, for my own safety and theirs. Though if some cyclically-challenged person is standing over his bike in the way I'll usually wait behind him. ;)

I may be guilty of this, in that I'll always try to get up to the front and wait in the bike box, so drivers can see me, for my own safety and theirs. Though if some cyclically-challenged person is standing over his bike in the way I'll usually wait behind him. ;)

If you're in the bike box, it's not shoaling. Shoaling has to involve a gradual deposition of cyclists out into the intersection, forming the "sandbar of idiocy".

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭V-man

'68 wrote:

Why would a cyclist squeeze between a car and a cyclist to be in front while waiting for the lights?
    Tell me please? Could the reason be safety?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It mightn't be as bad today. People will leave early or go for post work, Friday pints

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

V-man wrote: »
    Why would a cyclist squeeze between a car and a cyclist to be in front while waiting for the lights?
    Because some cyclists are assholes. Nothing more infuriating than overtaking somebody and stopping at the red lights only for them to mount the curb/squeeze past you while you're stopped, to either break the lights or to sit in front of you. Only for you to need to overtake them again.

They're usually the non-helmet wearing folk.

Oh and the wannabe-MAMILs who don't like getting overtaken by a girl. I mean ask Weepsie, he was devestated this morning :pac:

(Just kidding)

sullivlo wrote: »
    They're usually the non-helmet wearing folk.

Oh and the wannabe-MAMILs who don't like getting overtaken by a girl. I mean ask Weepsie, he was devestated this morning :pac:

(Just kidding)

Oooh, lots of tasty hate there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

(Just kidding)

Is he ever going to live down being chicked by you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Is he ever going to live down being chicked by you?

Yes. Even had I been on the good bike she'd have breezed by me. It was the weirdly formed group that was ahead of her that I was eager to get ahead of, but her speed was to be too much for me

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

It has nothing to do with safety. 99% of the time they are on ill fitting bikes without any safety gear and in a hurry to jump the red light. The faster riders overtake them 10 seconds later and the process repeated at the next junction.

strmin wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with safety. 99% of the time they are on ill fitting bikes without any safety gear and in a hurry to jump the red light. The faster riders overtake them 10 seconds later and the process repeated at the next junction.

Not just the faster riders. I ride at the speed… well, not of a snail, since snails regularly overtake me. But even I have overtaken these people, as they run out of puff a few metres on from the lights.

I think it's that a lot of people - many of whom end up "hating cycling" - are not taught that the correct way to cycle is to keep a steady pace and keep your legs turning at the same rate. Instead, they make a wild effort to get up speed, then freewheel, then puff-puff-puff again, repeat ad lib.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Weepsie wrote: »
    Yes. Even had I been on the good bike she'd have breezed by me. It was the weirdly formed group that was ahead of her that I was eager to get ahead of, but her speed was to be too much for me

You're a rare breed it seems - the gracious male cyclist! I like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Weepsie wrote: »
    Nah. I didn't breeze past at all. And I probably have about 30kg on him so with the downhill there was only going to be one outcome. I reckon on a flat or any sort of incline he'd leave me for dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...they make a wild effort to get up speed, then freewheel, then puff-puff-puff again, repeat ad lib.
    That's so common. I wonder if they drive like that also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

(Just kidding)

Ha ha this is real! happened to me on Tuesday, passed one guy, said 'thanks' cause he'd moved over on the cycle lane to let me past but then he realises I'm a girl and next thing I know he's booting past me at the next roundabout . A few miles later something similar occurs in the PP. It certainly brightened my morning commute :D

Anyway, I came in here to post this article which says there's a possibility of bus and train strikes on the same day https://lovindublin.com/news/there-is-a-possibility-of-bus-strikes-and-train-strikes-on-the-same-day

• Advertisement

Firedance wrote: »
    Anyway, I came in here to post this article which says there's a possibility of bus and train strikes on the same day https://lovindublin.com/news/there-is-a-possibility-of-bus-strikes-and-train-strikes-on-the-same-day

But can you really believe news from a publication whose journalist misspells "its" in the lead paragraph?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

But can you really believe news from a publication whose journalist misspells "its" in the lead paragraph?

Indeed, the spelling or the journalism may not be top notch but I wasn't even aware that IR were also in negotiations which seem to have broken down - fun times ahead!

Forgot to mention that it's normally when I'm trackstanding at the line. If you ever get caught behind me at a light I can assure you it won't be for long:p

I have no idea. It's something that both baffles and annoys me equally but if the person speeds away from the green I can understand. Its when you're forced to overtake within 50 yards that its just rude. I've been shouldered off the pedals by people wanting to get less than a bike length ahead at a red.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

'68 wrote:
    ... Its when you're forced to overtake within 50 yards that its just rude....
    Often it's only 5 yards as they have stopped in the wrong gear!

'68 wrote:
    Forgot to mention that it's normally when I'm trackstanding at the line. If you ever get caught behind me at a light I can assure you it won't be for long:p

Oh, I can assure you that you're right there! Cycling for me is very much a leisure pursuit, with the emphasis on the leisure, and not on the pursuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Then, turning right off Sandford Rd onto Belmont Ave, a car coming up from Ranelagh is indicating left to go down Belmont Ave. The car was easily 20 feet ahead of any bikes but, as he slowed down to take the turn, 3 cyclists all went up his inside to continue straight. Kudos to the driver for not hitting any of them!!.

One of the irritating things about seeing this is that I frequently slow down to let a car turn left at a junction in front of me, only to have the (very sensible) driver sit there because they don't trust me not to go up the inside. I try to move out from the left so that they know i won't pass on the inside but if there is other traffic backed up behind them that isn't a runner.

It's not a big deal, doesn't take long for hand gestures etc. to let them know that i am not going to dive inside them and will yield them their right of way, but these kind of delays feed into the general traffic congestion, add up, and most importantly just demonstrate how dumb/bullheaded some cyclists can be.

On the other hand it does irritate me when a driver is indicating left and stuck in a traffic queue approaching red lights pulls in to block the cycle lane to stop cyclists filtering past. again if they are turning left i can see why they do it, it is just irritating that they will do it even if they are three/four cars back in the queue and there is plenty of time to filter past. Anyway i also put the blame for this down to cyclists bulling past left turning cars more than on the drivers tbh, they are basicly driving defensively.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I seen a guy interviewed by RTE outside Bus Aras on Wednesday. Said he had not been on his bike in 20 years but thought there was no other reasonable way to get in.

Thought it was a nice positive note.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Roads were an absolute pleasure this morning. I had three lanes of the Rock road to myself. So quiet I even pulled a U-ey and went back to throw a large stone out of the cycle lane over a wall and still no cars.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

CramCycle wrote: »
    I seen a guy interviewed by RTE outside Bus Aras on Wednesday. Said he had not been on his bike in 20 years but thought there was no other reasonable way to get in.

Thought it was a nice positive note.

Who's got a spare POS bike in the shed that we could to this guy? And has the Irish Times turned into the Indo?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/clondalkin-man-s-7km-walk-to-work-during-bus-strike-1.2785558

Advertisement